Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2007, 12:47 PM   #1
EagleRunner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5255
Instructions on Replacing Remote Thermostat

Finally, I get to replace that Dometic Remote Thermostat. I received a box today containing the new Comfort Control Center (CCC) Thermostat and the Electric Kit box, direct from Keystone. I have instructions for installing the CCC, but does anyone have an idea about installing the Electric Kit box? This is the electrical box containing the circuit board, AC hookup points, the Freeze sensor, a bundle of six wires and several plugs. Does anyone know if the existing Electric Box is compatible the one shipped and if all I have to do is swap the circuit board between the old and the new? Also contained in that shipment were four long bolts, approximately 9" long. I hope that doesn't mean I have to pull the AC off the roof to get to the existing Electrical Box.

EagleRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 12:58 PM   #2
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Do search on remote thermostat instructions and pictures are there back when was hot topic.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 01:19 PM   #3
EagleRunner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5255
Broome101,

Thanks!
I thought about that and tried doing a search for 'remote thermostat' but got nothing back that had any info. I remember the longer than long trail this topic had and was certain I could find the answers I needed. But no luck on that trek. I wonder if the topic still remains or if it was deleted???

Old 02-08-2007, 03:25 PM   #4
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
The search will work if you check the archived posts box.

As there are hundreds of posts to search through, I copied one that I think would be helpful. This was posted by Broome101, and I think these are the instructions that I followed when I did mine. It is not really hard, just a bit awkward working over your head.

quote:
Well I did it myself today, took about 25 minutes to do the whole thing, very simple. On the old unit the 12gauge red wire goes to red wire on new unit (12V +), the 12 gauge white wire attached with red wire goes to black 12 gauge wire on new unit (12V-). The tiny tiny wires hook up to the blue wires no particular way. the two yellow wires are not used tape ends of the off. Inside the new unit turn dip switch #5 to the on position, install the white wire that is frost detector into coil as shown, plug phone wire into connector that is at back of unit toward rear of camper. Your done here, make sure you disconnect both 120VAC and 12 v power sources before you start. Then change out the wall unit pretty simple. Once the unit is turned on if you see EE this is error code. Press the top button and bottom button in at the same time and hold in till you see FF than the reset has been completed and you are ready to go. i tried it at 75 degrees cut off at 75 degrees, cooled it down to 65 degrees shut off at 65 degrees, went back to 72 and then back down to 55 degree very exact on temp shut off. i am very pleased now. Thanks Dometic.
endquote
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 06:31 PM   #5
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Tom, I don't have any experience with the kit, but I'd be willing to give you a hand if you need some help. Just PM me and let me know.

DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 07:07 PM   #6
EagleRunner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5255
Boome101, OntMont, and Don, thanks for your help. With Boome101's direction to the search engine and OntMont pointing me in the right direction for the information I finally found what you were directing me too. I think my earlier searches were timing out. But, persistance pays off! I got the hits you were refering to, pictures and detailed instructions. Thanks again!

Don,
I appreciate the offer. I think, after looking at the info posted this looks to be a fairly simple install, other than having to work overhead. I hope our paths do cross some day though.

Tom
Old 02-11-2007, 09:50 AM   #7
Charlotte
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5847
How did you get a new replacement? We tried our dealer and Dometic and didn't have much luck. Our Direct remote is still turning our heater/air conditioner on when we page through the tv channels. Very annoying. We have to get up, find the Dometic remote and turn everything off. Everyone laughs and says they never heard of that. No help at all.
Charlotte
Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 05:23 PM   #8
EagleRunner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5255
Charlotte,
While at the 2007 RV show I bumped into the Keystone rep and while I had his ear I told him about the problems I had with the remote thermostat. He took my name, address, and VIN number and within three weeks I had the replacement Comfort Control Center thermostat and electrical control/relay box sitting on my door step. Do a search for "remote thermostat". You should find a large thread started by Broome101. Show that thread to your dealer and demand to have a replacement with the new Comfort Control Center (CCC) thermostat. Don't take no for an answer. According to the Keystone rep, Keystone and Dometic came to an agreement to swap these units out on request. Dometic will send the Comfort Control Center to the dealer of your choice, but the installation is not covered. Ask your dealer to call Dometic to have them send out the replacement CCC. All you need to supply is your VIN number, make and model. The job is not difficult if you are comfortable with working on electrical circuits and are able to work over your head. It only took me an hour to complete the installation of the new controller/relay box and thermostat. Send a PM to me if you have any questions. It sounds to me you have a valid complaint that Dometic and Keystone should stand behind and resolve.

Good Luck