Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-05-2006, 02:13 AM   #1
Montana_6099
Established Member

M.O.C. #6099
Water from under the toilet?

Goodmorning everyone.

My wife went to the water closet this morning and a small amount of water was on the floor in front of the toilet.

Looks as if it is coming from under the toilet.

There was a small puddle there last night when I went to bed, so it appears we have a small problem.

My question is this, if I start taking the toilet apart (ie: taking it off of the floor) is there a seal in there like in a regular house that I will have to replace?

Any help on this would be appreciated.

We're set up for winter with skirting and all, so taking it to the dealer 3 hours away isn't an option.

Looks like I get to play plumber and I want to know what I'm looking at.

Thanks!

Montana_6099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 02:49 AM   #2
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Hi Kraig,
Yes there is a seal, its not wax...just a rubber one. Not a big deal as these are lighter than the porcelin version! If its in front then likely an issue with the seal although, make sure its not some sort of water pressure event causing it to splash from bowl making you think its the seal...hate to do projects when they are not necessary.
Chuck
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 04:35 AM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by JennyKraig

Goodmorning everyone.

My wife went to the water closet this morning and a small amount of water was on the floor in front of the toilet.

There was a small puddle there last night when I went to bed, so it appears we have a small problem.

My question is this, if I start taking the toilet apart (ie: taking it off of the floor) is there a seal in there like in a regular house that I will have to replace?

Usually, when you remove the toilet, the seal sometimes has to be replaced. First thing I would do is try tightening the nuts on either side of the toilet on the floor. They may have been installed loosely. This is a common problem. Tightening the nuts may save you a little trouble. Then watch for any more leaks.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 06:59 AM   #4
pud2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4142
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by JennyKraig

Goodmorning everyone.

We're set up for winter with skirting and all, so taking it to the dealer 3 hours away isn't an option.

Looks like I get to play plumber and I want to know what I'm looking at.

Thanks!

It sounds to me like you have a small leak on water line connection in toilet rather than a seal leaking. If you have the sealand toilet there is a band that goes around the middle of the toilet, if you loosen that band then the take it off the top half of the toilet will come loose and you should be able to see more.
pud2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 12:45 PM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
On my toilet, I had the same problem, after reassuring Sue my aim was impeccable, I tightened the nut on the supply water line with my grubby mitts. The round cover snapped off easily, and on easily as well, on mine.
No leakee.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 02:50 PM   #6
Montana_6099
Established Member

M.O.C. #6099
Ozz and Pud2 you hit it! The water line to the toilet that goes in to the flush valve was leaking.

I didn't realize there was another cover I could remove to look at this inlet.

Anyhow, once I figured that out, I found that was where the water was leaking. Tighthened them up, and it seems to have solved the issue.

Thank you everyone for the fast reply's. My wife and I are new to this RV/Full timing thing and when something goes wrong, we tend to get a bit excited!

KRaig
Montana_6099 is offline   Reply With Quote