Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2006, 02:06 AM   #1
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
Converter and Water Heater

Had a couple of problems last week that maybe someone can help me with.
First, we were reading one night and noticed the lights were getting dim. We were only running the fantastic fan and several lights, and were plugged in to 50amp service. The battery level idiot lights showed 1 light (4 being full charge). The circuit breaker to the converter was tripped. I turned off all 12 volt lights and reset the breaker. In an hour or so it read 2 lights. After charging all night it still only read 2 lights. When we left that morning, there was enough juice in the battery to close only one slide. we hooked up and used the TV battery to close the other slide and raise the landing gear. After a 250 mile drive home, the battery showed 3 lights. I plugged in to shore power and the next morning it showed full charge. I have turned on all the 12 volt lights and fan, and the converter is keeping a full charge now, and the circuit breaker has not tripped again. All seems well, but I wonder what was wrong, and is it likely to happen again?
Secondly, I noticed when the water heater was working on propane, the outside access door was very hot to the touch. I don't remember this happening in our prior RV's. It felt so hot that I was afraid it may damage the paint. Is this normal?
Sorry for the long-winded narrative. Any ideas?

bobgay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 03:36 AM   #2
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
Sounds like you have a direct short somewhere draining the battery. With a 2006 unit, it is under warranty. The door of the hotwater heater will be warm if it has just turned off, if on gas. If the battery had a bad cell, It wouldn't have recharged itself. You might check the hot water heater and see if there are any loose wires around the electronic gas ignighter that may be touching the tank itself. In either case, the door of the hotwater should be warm not hot as you described. Our 2005 montana came with a burned out 110v probe as someone at the dealer turned it on without water. Kewstone authorized me to have it fixed while in Florida.
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 06:51 AM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
bobgay,
I agree with Ken. As for the electrical problem..... Since it is a new unit there may be a loose connection somewhere. Check the connections at the converter box. Make sure all the connections are snug. Remember electricity can bite you! Be very careful. Also as Ken indicated there might be a connection problem with the battery(ies). Check for loose wires in there too.

When running on propane the exhaust gases can be very warm.... almost hot. Ken's idea of checking for loose connections in that area is also good. Make sure all the plumbing connections are good too. Good luck.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 09:07 AM   #4
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
Well, I poked around a little and didn't see anything loose, although I didn't feel comfortable digging too deep. Made an appointment to take it back to the dealer to check it out.
As for the water heater, it isn't warm -- it is hot. It is too hot to touch while the burner is on, then it cools down somewhat. I asked the service manager about it and he says that's normal. I just don't remember that on my prior RV's. Maybe I just didn't touch it while it was on.
Anyway, thanks for the help.
Bob
Old 01-27-2006, 02:31 PM   #5
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Bob,

The door on our propane water heater does get very warm. I believe this is normal as there is a large flame used for heating the water. The access cover on ours has an unpainted aluminum grill over the vent area. After 3 years of use there has been no discoloration of the surrounding paint.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 12:07 AM   #6
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
Thanks for the input, Fulltimedreamer