Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2005, 11:44 AM   #1
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Keystone Response

I was wondering what type of response others have received when calling the Keystone service department. I had mentioned about the "replacement screw kit" and Glenn suggested I give Keystone a call. I did so on Tuesday and had to leave a vmail with the service department and they have yet to call me back. I find any customer service somewhat irritating and even though this really isn't a huge issue, if I make a call I expect a return call.

Is this kind of response normal or do you think I just "slipped through the cracks"?

mac

Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 12:49 PM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Never called and got put on voice mail. Always talked to a human. I won't deal with voice mail. I'd call back until I get a human response.
A hint, never call first thing in the morning, at lunch or late afternoon. Mid-morning or mid-afdternoon is always best.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 03:33 AM   #3
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
I sent an email to the service department about a minor problem and received a written response in less than 24 hours. I'm ok with that.
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 03:49 AM   #4
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I have called them twice and both times talked with a representative, no voice mail.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 01:27 PM   #5
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Just an update..........

I called again today, and once again they tried to put me through to voice mail. I told them no and this time vmail would have been better. I was told that it was a "federal law" that they couldn't give or sell parts to a consumer. I was VERY upset and immediately fired off an email (for the record their email was down over the weekend and that's why Glenn originally suggested I call). I had a response within a half hour from Tom Brandon who is in Owners Relations. He apologized and asked me to send him the VIN and the needed screws and they would immediately send them out!!!

Now that's what I expected when I purchased this unit and Tom is obviously one of the employees that has given Montana and Keystone their great reputation. I might also mention that I did say the next place I was going to mention my frustration level was on this website! His exact response was ..... "You are the eyes and ears in the field so to speak. Your comments, both positive and negative are welcome as they will help Keystone build more practical, reliable, and user friendly products." I was thrilled to get that response and I think it also shows how valuable and powerful this forum is!!

Thanks to Montana and thanks to all of you!

mac
Old 11-04-2005, 01:48 PM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Welllll..Keystone needs a lot more employees like Tom Brandon..This forum is very representative of Montana owners and they are very fair in their "assesments" of the product.There are times..a lot of times when I get the feeling that the right folks are paying little attention to this forum...If Montana wants to stay number one they may need to pay more attention to quality and less to quanity. Here is my challenge to Montana..I challenge Montana to build MY 3670 Montana with zero MAJOR defects and no more than 5 MINOR defects. Lets see if anyone reads that????
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 03:07 PM   #7
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Rich
They built ours with no defects.
Happy trails.........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 03:19 PM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Mac:
I'm terribly sorry to hear of your problem with Keystone. I do know that by law they cannot sell parts. This violates their dealers. However they will fix things that are wrong. They fixed our Montana after it was 4 years old and didn't charge us a cent. They can't be beat in the RV industry, as far as I'm concerned when it comes to customer service.
I do know this, a little honey goes a long way. Rather than approach them angrily (not saying you did), just tell them of your problem and ask them if there is anything they can do. Better yet, when you call Customer Service, ask to speak to Lon Nelson and tell him what you're experiencing. You'll be glad you did.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 03:28 PM   #9
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
It was good to see that Keystone's customer service came through for you.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 03:35 PM   #10
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
OLS,

No I'm thrilled with their overall response, it was being "ignored" originally and having to call back, and then being told that it was a federal law that they couldn't help me. THAT is what got me upset! I've been in business too long to be told such nonsense. I then contacted them via email and told explained how frustrating it was, in a nice manner, but did mention that I would vent here next. I only thought it appropriate that I also gave them kudos when they came through, which they did, and so did I.

It's what I expected when I bought my unit and what they have delivered to this point. I am all Montana, through and through!

mac
Old 11-04-2005, 03:44 PM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Parrothead

Rich
They built ours with no defects.
Happy trails.........................
That appears to be the execption..not the rule..I sure would like to get one of those????
Old 11-04-2005, 04:15 PM   #12
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Rich
I really don't think that is the exception. You hear about the problems here which is part of the reason for this forum. The people that don't have problems don't post sometimes. There have been lots of posts where we all told about how great our units are.
Happy trails..........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 03:50 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Parrothead

Rich
I really don't think that is the exception. You hear about the problems here which is part of the reason for this forum. The people that don't have problems don't post sometimes. There have been lots of posts where we all told about how great our units are.
Happy trails..........................
Well it is good to hear that we will most likely not have, Roof bubbles, Water system leaks,Overhead fan noise, axel out of alignment, Fuses blowing, Slide leaks, Audio system noise or improperly wired. noisy water pump,Frame separation. drawers /cabinets falling off. Clogged water lines,Tv not wired correctly,day shades falling off..we are looking forward to that>>>
Old 11-05-2005, 09:49 AM   #14
montanared
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3903
I bought my 3685FL in June. Because of this forum, I inspected it thouroughly. I only had one, very minor, defect. When I got it home, I pressurized the water system and found one fitting that was weeping. I half turn and it was fixed. Since then I have towed it almost 7000 miles and spent about 30 nights in various campgrounds and racetracks. One minor problem beats the daylights out of the Prowler Travel Trailer I owned before.

Due to the environment we place our units in.... constant flexing on the highway, turns, bumps, construction, brownouts and different water pressures in RV parks, constantly moving slideouts in and out, and a hundred other things a stick house would never survive.... I don't consider it unusual to have an occasional leak or blown fuse.

Before I bought my Montana, I crawled under and inspected about 30 other 5th wheels..... every nook and cranny. While I was disappointed with the construction sawdust in my heater ducts, I found the quality of the Montanas significantly superior to any other model I inspected.
montanared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 10:52 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I am not knocking Montana..I am buying one..I also have 15 major items, thus far, on MY personal check list that we will inspect closely before it leaves the dealers lot. We have little confidence that we will receive a 3670 Montana with few defects..If we did we would order it now, take delivery in Jan and let it sit in the snow till April or so before we shake it down. But we do not want 3 or 4 months of warranty go by before we find defects.We do however have great confidence in our dealer to correct any problem and in Keystone to stand behind the product..That is the only reason we are buying a Montana over a couple of other brands..
Old 11-05-2005, 11:05 PM   #16
Montana_882
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #882
I only wish that ours had been built with no defects,ST the hydraulic cylinder under the bed came apart,it took five of us to get the other slides back in.Keystone did pay for US to take it back to Goshen. While there the converter went bad,then an electrical wire shorted out,they also refastened the TV that had came loose,which has broken loose twice since and now needs refastened again. They also had to refasten the Fire Place which came loose again and I had to refasten on our last trip.Even with slide covers I get black marks on the carpet which they are supposed to stop.Then on our last trip the king pin broke loose and I had to replace the coupler.Keystone sent me to the frame maker who sent me to the hitch maker,I got the only one they had made because they were moving,Lucky me.There warranty was only a year but the frame makers was two thank goodness. I have the MOE/RYDE suspension which I feel is useless and a big waist of money.We have had things move that didn't with the old suspension.
I do like the never lube hubs but be aware the brakes are ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE to adjust on the MOR/RYDE,a standard brake spoon has to be reshaped and it must be a very long one. I also bent a screw on one of the rear jacks 2 months after the warranty expired and they wouldn't replace it,so I had to buy a New Set of jacks. If you think I am happy with this unit, you would be Wrong! How we have wished for our Fifth Avenue back.
Montana_882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 05:20 AM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Eagleone..Have noted your comments on the Mor/ryde suspension..May I ask if you also have the Mor/ryde pin box.. We plan to have mor-ryde pin box installed and see how that works out.
Old 11-06-2005, 06:08 AM   #18
Montana_882
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #882
No I don't have the MOR/RYDE pin box and if doesn't work any better than their suspension I don't want it.I wish we had gone with an air ride system and before we hit the road again we will have either an air ride hitch or air ride coupler.Don't rely just on my word try to get others who have MOR?RYDE systems to give you their opinions.
Montana_882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 07:22 AM   #19
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by EAGLEONE

No I don't have the MOR/RYDE pin box and if doesn't work any better than their suspension I don't want it.I wish we had gone with an air ride system and before we hit the road again we will have either an air ride hitch or air ride coupler.Don't rely just on my word try to get others who have MOR?RYDE systems to give you their opinions.
We put the Mor/Ryde system on our Montana two years ago and are really satisfied with the ride. We have noticed that with some things left on the table and the kitchen counter, that they stay right there. Also, we have an Oreck air purifier that sits on the end table in the rear of the rig and it doesn't move a bit. Before we put the Mor/Ryde suspension on we had stuff all over the rig. Books fell out of the book case, shoes out of the shoe rack, etc. But now, no surprises when we open the door.

I have to confess that we also added the Trailer Saver hitch that you can look at on http://www.trailersaver.com
It has also contributed greatly to keeping the frame stress down and the ride on the truck is very nice.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 10:14 AM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The Trailer saver hitch was outside our budget.Have received mixed feedback on the Mor/ryde suspension and good feedback on the Mor/ryde pin box so we will go with the pin box first which I see as sort of a poor mans trailer saver hitch..