Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2005, 03:07 AM   #1
Colden
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4400
Carpet Damp When Slide Goes Out

We have a 5 wk old 2006 2995RLS. Used it over labor day wknd and it's been closed up in the driveway since (totally dry when we closed it up). When a friend stopped over lst wknd we opened the slides to show off our new joy and were surprised to find the carpet damp in front of the dining table. This would be the carpet that sits under the slide when it is in. Not soaking wet, just damp. We did have a pretty big rain storm a week before but never saw the problem when we checked the camper as the slide was in.

I called the dealer and made an appt to take it in. When I was there yesterday to pick up some stuff I was talking to the svce mgr and from the look on his face this is not something that will be easy to figure out.

Anyone else had any experience with this?

Colden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 04:18 PM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Colden, it sounds like a seal is missing or not sealing properly. They should be able to look for light where there should be no light, from both inside and out. If that doesn't work, then a good spraying on the seals with a high pressure water hose might disclose the problem. I'd hate to do that and get the carpet wet but if that's the only way to find it...

Let us know how this comes out. Good luck.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 03:51 AM   #3
Colden
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4400
Jim took the camper into Meyers RV and they said there was a rail that was missing on the bottom sides of the slide out that would direct water outside when came down the sides. I don't see how that would get our inside damp when the slide was closed to begin with.... And, the rug wasn't damp at the end of the slide but about a foot in - right in front of the dining table.

Anyway, Meyers is ordering the rails and I guess we'll see what happens.

He also asked about the loose material of the topper for that slide and they said it was a manufacturing problem and there is no fix; we should put a beachball under the topper to keep water from pooling if we are going to staying somewhere for any length of time. I'm hoping that other members are correct when they posted that the toppers tighten up over time cuz that beach ball deal sounds like a pain.

I'll post back on this topic and let you know how dry we stay. But since we'll be winterizing after the next campout (Oct 21-23), I don't know if it will be this year.
Old 10-10-2005, 06:21 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Our wet carpet under the slide was similar to yours and whatever seal or rail they put on solved it.

As for the toppers, that's not a manufacturing problem. There is additional material in the roller the material rolls out of. Water adds weight and pulls more material off the roller. Ours will pool water to the point it touches down on the top of the slide. It hasn't hurt anything after three years including 30 months of fulltiming. You can put a ball or devise other methods to 'tent' the awning so it doesn't pool, if you want. Several here have devised ingenious ways to do this. So far I haven't done anything like that. We've had water, 10 inches of snow, and ice on ours.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 08:04 AM   #5
Montana_3768
Established Member

M.O.C. #3768
I just heard back from the dealer about the leaks in two of our slides. He said that the sealing "tape" that connects the top of the slide to the outboard wall of the trailer was pulled up in a couple of places on the slides that leaked. He decribed it as a silver looking tape. I think I remember seeing it. They replaced the tape and said that it fixed the problem. I'm wondering if adding a little thin layer of silicone sealer on top of the tape would be a good idea when I get it back. I'll talk to the repair tech about it. He also found that the door frame had not been sealed at the bottom and allowed water to leak in when traveling down the road in a rain storm. They caulked that and called it good. Now just waiting on the new window treatments to be installed after they took off the water stained ones. So far, the dealer has made good on all the issues we've had. He was uncertain about the DVD sound system - volume runs away after about an hour. I'll check the search and see if anyone has had any problems with sound system.
Montana_3768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 05:50 PM   #6
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
we were camping last week and it rained real hard one night. the next day we pulled out the sofa to vacume and the carpet was wet--no wet on walls or by window. Paul got on roof and he saw a couple of loose places on that "sealing tape" that is by the outside wall. He pushed it down and when it rained a few days later all was well. We called our dealer and Keystone. Keystone told us who to take it to that was the closest to where we were and when Paul took it to them the man looked at it and said "that is what I would have done too" he said that this is a problem that can occur and suggested that the tape be replaced every 3-4 years and said that you just need to check it ocassionally, apparently moving the slide in and out will sometimes loosen it, especially if there is some dirt or other object up there.
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 09:49 AM   #7
Colden
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4400
Here is my follow up on the dealer fix:
The camper was there for THREE weeks. They knew when we needed it for our next trip. Called for 2nd time early in week 3 - they though the parts might come that Friday (we needed the camper back Thursday in order to pack and leave on Friday!) So, Jim picked it up on Thur and they said they'd send some guys out with the parts the following Fri. They were only 1 1/2 hours late showing up and all they installed was a 4-5" curved piece of rail at the inside bottom edge of the living room slide. I would have thought they would install a piece that extended all the way to the outside edge. Silly me - I never looked to see what the bedroom slide had and now it's put away for the winter. So now I have a note on my calender to check that next year and see what happens after we open it up in the spring. Luckily, our one year warranty isn't up until the end of July!

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!
Jan
Colden, NY