Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2005, 12:28 PM   #1
Montana_4221
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4221
securing recliner

Do those of you with a recliner in their coach use the strap to secure it when traveling? When getting the unit ready to head to the lake this afternoon I noticed one of the clips that attaches the strap to the floor was broken .It looks like a pretty cheap setup so I figure this has been addressed before. I thought I would just go to the hardware store and get something more substantial for both sides. How dangerous is it to travel with out it.
Thanks in advance.
Michael

Montana_4221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 12:56 PM   #2
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
We gave up secuing the reecliner on our 3295 after the first trip. That sucker was so heavy the security strap was a joke. Same on the Cambridge. It has two recliners which stow neatly against the rear window. They are somewhat lighter than the one in our 3295 but the strap seems pretty useless. So, we go without.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 01:17 PM   #3
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
My feeling is these things are way to heavy to go anywhere. We have never strapped down chairs in any of our 3 units and after thousands of miles, never had a problem.
Happy trails.................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 01:58 PM   #4
thook
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3100
We don't secure them either. Just push them up against the back wall with the backs facing each other. Then we put the end table between them. Keeps them from turning somewhat. We then watch when the slides are going in and out to make sure nothing catches.......so far so good.
thook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 01:58 PM   #5
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I secure mine to keep them from rubbing themselve on the walls. I did not secure them when I did my first couple of trips and the movement back and forth, side to side started to put rub marks on them.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 03:08 PM   #6
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
If you don't tie your recliners rockers down make sure they don't touch anything. We followed a fifth wheel with a large rear window one day and just couldn't believe all the rocking their chairs were doing. They will quickly wear right through the fabric on the chair
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 03:13 PM   #7
DrivesBGM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3
We keep our recliners from rocking and turning by stuffing bed and couch pillows between the recliners and the wall. Sleeping bags work really well for this also.

Craig
DrivesBGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 04:47 PM   #8
FireTruckerWife
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1629
On our drive home, after purchasing our 3400, the recliners wiggled enough forward to catch the slide as it moved out and tore the facia off the slide. With the 3400 there is no checking if the chairs moved , before moving the slides out, because there is no way to get there to look. So, before we changed the position of the recliners (exchanged them with the sofa) we always tied them down.
FireTruckerWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 05:19 PM   #9
syplace
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1666
We don't tie ours down either. That thing is so heavy it is not going anywhere, also with the slides in there is no room for it to move about. Same thing for the table and chairs. Very heavy. Infact I think I would like the chairs lighter and besides Keystone could save a few bucks and perhaps put the money saved into quality control.
syplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 06:09 PM   #10
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
We don't tie them (now only "it" - got rid of one of them) down. I see that you have a RK, so probably have the recliners mid-ships, more or less. Should be fine there. Maybe tie them together, back to back, but I wouldn't bother. If they are full aft, that might be a diffeernt story..

Best,
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 11:48 PM   #11
mgdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3481
We tie ours down, on one trip the recliner on the door side put a gouge on the end table between the recliners.(pre shock install) The tie straps work great for us.
mgdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 01:00 AM   #12
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
We always strap our chairs down (even though it's awkward to do) as we have had damage to the side window shades the one time when we did not strap them down. I agree that the chairs if not strapped will not move forward but they will continue to rock while towing and thats the movement the straps help to stop. We put the chairs back to back and pillows in front of each chair against the walls. If the chairs had a lock on the rocking section (as some other brands have) than I would not have to use the straps. If you don't strap them good-luck!
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 03:12 AM   #13
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
We don't tie them down. Just turn 90* with backs together, pull the backs up a little to keep them tight. Leave about 1 foot between rear windows and chairs and almost the same on each side. They never move. I always check all slides inside and out before moving them to keep from having something in the way. Murphy's law?

I don't tie the dining table and chairs either. Mine is not anchored to the floor. I do secure the drop leaves and have the little rubber bumpers so they do not wear on the table legs.
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 03:31 AM   #14
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
We always put the chairs back to back with the end table between them and then I strap them down. I don't put the strap overly tight, I'm alway afraid of leaving indentations on the upholstry or as above, breaking one of the plastic connectors. I too have watched in horror how some of the chairs in the back of other rigs rock and bounce around. Not something I want to chance.
Joy
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 04:54 AM   #15
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
We always pull the recliners back to back (with a sofa pillow between the backs) then strap the BACKS together (strap around the two backs). This is the way our dealer in Florida showed us when we took delivery.

Even with this we have noticed a couple of potential problems:
> The chairs tend to gradually move back against the back wall. We have had to repair the 'anchor' of the shades on one side.
> Once we forgot to unplug the lamp and the chairs damaged the "wall plate" on the electrical outlet.
> Finally, the fabric on one chair arm was 'rubbed through' by this action against the back wall.

We were able to repair all these problems satisfactorily but they would surely be far worse if we did not secure the recliners as I have indicated above. This is one of the items on my pre-departure check list.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 05:59 AM   #16
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
We put ours backs to end table, which in our model is secured to the floor, then strap snugly them down. We also bungee our inboard dining room chairs to each other around the table to keep them from tipping over.

Pam
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 08:27 AM   #17
Montana_4221
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4221
Thanks to all who replied. In the 3295rk we only have the one recliner and I was a little concerned about the rocking so for now I found a key-ring with a belt clip at Lowes. Fed the end of the strap onto the ring and the belt clip slips easily through the hooks on the floor. Seems more secure than the little clips that came on the straps. Also seems easier to take off. I will feel beter for now. I like the idea of a recliner that locks into position . If we ever replace I will probably look for one.
Thanks again.
Michael
Montana_4221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 10:49 AM   #18
Montana_3939
Established Member

M.O.C. #3939
Dear Michael,
We have only made one trip and have seen wear on the rear curtains. We have 2 recliner / rockers. The rocker part seems to be the problem not the unit moving on the floor. So far have drapped heavy blankets over the backs but reading these other solutions seems we need to turn them back to back with the table between, then hold them from rocking. CAN ANYONE HELP with a simple lock for the rocking linkages short of welding them tight. Thankyou ALL for your always helpful hints. Earl
Montana_3939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 03:53 PM   #19
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We took one recliner out for our trip to Alaska. We always tie it down as the bumps are awful in some places. Somewhere along the road, we got a rub spot on the outside of the armrest where it rubbed agains the screws from the day/night shade. It doesn't take much to show some wear.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 11:55 AM   #20
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Back when we had the 2880RL we quit strapping them to the floor. Too much of a pain. Back to back with table between we had some trouble with them rubbing on the table when traveling. Turned the other way they rubbed the walls. I would think back to back with the strap just around the backs of the chairs to keep them from rocking might solve that problem.

Our 3295RK has just one recliner and it's not strapped down. When it lived up by the curio cabinet we just turned it sideways. Now it lives where the dining table used to reside. Here it gets turned fore-aft but there are other things tucked around it and it's not going anywhere.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote