Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 01-14-2014, 06:31 AM   #1
pdegnan

M.O.C. #13348
Nest thermostat?

Has anyone replaced their Dometic thermostat with a Nest? I have a 2011 3402RL but am not in any way electrically savvy so I am wondering if it will work on a dual electrical system. Thanks in advance for your comments.

pdegnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:41 AM   #2
pdegnan

M.O.C. #13348
For those wondering, go to Nest.com. The company was just bought by Google for 3.2 billion so it isn't going anywhere, has been in business about two years. A partial copy from the website says:

"Most people leave the house at one temperature and forget to change it. So the Nest Learning Thermostat learns your schedule, programs itself and can be controlled from your phone. Teach it well and the Nest Thermostat can lower your heating and cooling bills up to 20%."

pdegnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 12:30 PM   #3
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
My experience with the factory thermostats is dated a few years, but the issue most have had in recent years trying to adapt a "stick house" thermostat to their Montana is the control wiring. The Montana thermostat wiring has (or did have) a connection very similar to a plug in phone cord and is a challenging issue to sort the wiring out to adapt to any home thermostat. You probably won't have the red/green/orange/yellow/white/black/blue wires available to simply attach to the base of the Nest thermostat as in their installation examples. Again, I'll mention that my RV thermostat experience is a bit dated.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:03 PM   #4
Rainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13378
Send a message via MSN to Rainer
I have a Nest in my home. The advantage of the Nest is that it learns your habits and adjusts itself automatically. If it realizes that there's no one around, it will go into the "away" mode, reducing your heating/cooling. When you come back, it will go back into the normal mode.

If it's in the "away" mode and you've been traveling in your Montana and you're planning on being home in a couple of hours you can contact the Nest via the Internet as it uses a WiFi connection and either fire up the furnace or the air-conditioner so when you get home your house will be perfect.

That being said, the unit isn't really meant for our RV's unless you're staying in one place for a while and have an always on WiFi connection, as it also reports on energy usuage besides being able to control it via the Internet.

Frankly, I think it would be a waste of money to put into a Montana. If you've got that much money to blow, allow me to suggest you make an equivalent donation to your favorite charity. Everybody will feel better for it!
Rainer is offline   Reply With Quote