Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2013, 06:42 AM   #1
daily double
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9256
Relocating toilet

Has anyone tried this? I have about 6 inches clearance between the back of the toilet and the wall. I would like to move the toilet back about 5 inches to give me more leg room (and to hold my book while I'm reading). I don't see any problem except relocating the hole. Not worried about covering the old hole just the plumbing.

daily double is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:50 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I know it has been done on the 3400 models, I just can't remember who did it.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:00 AM   #3
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
I moved my toilet back 3 inches on my 2006 3400RL. The mod is not hard to do if you are handy with power tools. As always, measure twice and cut once. Make sure you have laid out the plumbing and have planned how you will put the drain back together. I purchased the pvc pipe from Lowes as it is standard size drain pipe. As you plan the reconnect of the drain pipe in the garage area, some have used a rubber boot to reconnect the drain pipe. The angle for my pipe when cut for the move and toilet placement did not allow for using a boot. Good luck.
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:44 AM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Great advice bw2, but as someone who has messed up common sense rules before, the expression would be "measure CORRECTLY twice and cut once". The "correctly" is the most difficult part. Been there, done that.

I'm also a fan of "PERFECT practice makes perfect". Learn how to do things right the first time, then practice THAT over and over. Just started playing but it's why my golf game sucks so bad. At least my swing is better than Charles Barkley's, but not sure about the final score... I've never been under 3 digits yet for 18 holes but I play the same as my partners, so we're okay and we make sure we allow playthroughs if we take too long.

Good luck locating that toilet. Before and after pictures would be nice.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:26 AM   #5
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
I also moved the toilet back 3" in our previous 3400RL. Took my time and was VERY cautious before cutting anything and it was about a 2 hour job. Went off without a hitch and the extra knee room was well worth it.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:16 AM   #6
daily double
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9256
Do you want the pictures with me on it??
daily double is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:28 AM   #7
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
I was going to move mine back after our flange broke but found a much easier solution. I just rotated the flange about 30 degrees toward the door. It works great and is much easier than moving everything back. The flange is held down by short fat screws as are two of the toilet screw holes. I replaced all the screws with through bolts and Nyloc nuts.
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:13 AM   #8
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
One of the positives in moving the toilet back was gaining a little more room in the garage area as the angle of the drain pipe changed and gave me a little more room for taking things out and putting things back into the garage. Inches are inches
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 03:20 AM   #9
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
I have done it and it is not hard. I cut the pipe above the basement floor. Then when you remove the flange that the toilet mounts to you can lift the drain pipe up thru the bathroom floor. Where the pipe goes toward the wall in the basement I shorten that length so it would line up with the pipe I cut going to the tank. You can just stick the pipe without glue back down thru the floor to get every thing to line up. Then mark your pipes with a line on the parts and glue them together. I used a rubber coupler to connect the the tank so it would be easier if the tank needed to be replaced. However you could use a coupler and glue it. Like stated above it gives you a little more room in the basement plus the leg room is great.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:09 AM   #10
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Uh, Daily double, I meant the toilet base from the original to the new position. But now that you mention it, keeping clothed, you can also show the before after for the leg room. Anything more than that could get you banned from the MOC.

In my rig the commode is about close to the wall as one could get and the underside plumbing already very close to the basement storage area. I can't imagine why the manufacturer would design or install it any other way, but from the postings it sure seems pretty common if you can relocate it at least 3". To me that's a lot and would make a HUGE difference.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:36 PM   #11
Jerzy54
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4379
Great idea. I need to look at this also.
Jerzy54 is offline   Reply With Quote