Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2012, 07:39 AM   #21
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Ozz, I do not have the x-factor on my unit. Personally can't believe that making turns is the culpret as they are wearing evenly on all four tires.

Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:06 AM   #22
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
Ozz, not sure if I have it or not and keep forgetting to look. I've never noticed it so I'd guess I don't.

I just dropped my rig off at CW in Raleigh to have my Hydraulic leak repaired and my tire wear situation "fixed" The service guy who checked me in said "Wow"

I'd bet hat was a technical term for WTF?

I'm supposed to hear back from them in 3 days after they look it over and talk to Montana to get the warranty work approved.

I've had good luck on my visits to Cottonwood Oz - so maybe you will too. Spent a week in Dead Horse Ranch this spring and had a good time romping around the area.
Gkerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:03 AM   #23
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

A second theory is that the G-14 is not made for the trailers and the side rubber is too soft for the turns.

I don't like Flagstaff..
Oh... and the G614 is definitely a trailer tire. On the Good Year Website - the G614 page it even says: "Even Wear for Demanding Trailer Applications"
Old 10-11-2012, 12:25 PM   #24
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Well, if it is a trailer tire.. why are we all having wear problems?
A designed trailer tire is different than a trailer tire that works on a trailer.
We will see I guess, I hope it is.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:34 PM   #25
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Emmel

Ozz, I do not have the x-factor on my unit. Personally can't believe that making turns is the culpret as they are wearing evenly on all four tires.
OK, but think of what the tire does, turn and lean one way, grab for traction, then on a turn lean the other way. Each 'leaning' scrapes rubber away from the tire. The more rigid (Light truck) the tire is, the less give the tire allows. Something has to give.
I may be wrong, but what other than that can duplicate that tire wear?
Old 10-11-2012, 12:56 PM   #26
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
I know that these tires start with LT but I question whether or not they are really Light Truck Tires. Not sure if the RST (G614 RST) has anything to do noting Trailer Service.

I've heard that the LT designation allows - or specifies - the higher speed rating of these tires. As you know, ST tires are limited to 65mph - these tires are 75mph.

The Good Year Literature about them however is all about Trailer use, and no mention is made for other services.

Here is a link to the 3 specialty RV tires (4 including Marathons) http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/tire-care-guide.pdf Some good info in there.

What I found interesting in there is talk about toe in or out conditions might cause something that resembles what some of us are experiencing. It mentions feathering edges on bia ply tires and flat worn areas on radials (like the G614)

My wear however is not flat - its concave.

I got the feeling from the Service guy at CW that they would be calling Good Year on mine because he seemed a bit surprised when he felt the tires. You can certainly see the wear on them just looking, but when you feel them you really get to see the shape of the wear.

All this tire talk is now starting to wear on my brain. Hopefully with some of us approaching it from different ends we'll get to the bottom of it.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:09 PM   #27
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
Also Folks... here is a link to a rather extensive pdf that has photos and discussions of all types of radial tire wear patterns:

http://www.euroratas.lt/galery/_euro...ysis_guide.pdf

I have this pdf on my computer so if the link doesn't work just pm me with an email and I can send it.

It does discuss what I am experiencing (somewhat) on page 133. The file is 5.5megs in size.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:37 PM   #28
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Ozz, I agree what you say about the tire leaning one way and then the other, but I still can't see the slow turning causing "even" wear on all four tires the being the same. I would think it would be cupped and not this type wear. Guess we'll see what Goodyear has to say. My dealer that got me reimbursed for a partial claim (Chinabomb clain) is going to call his contact Monday.
If there are enough of us making claims, maybe they will find out the problem and correct it for us!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:59 PM   #29
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
I'm thinking out loud here.... Do you guys know what width rim Goodyear recommends for the G614 tires, and what the width is of wheels Keystone has them mounted to?
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:49 AM   #30
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
The GY Website list "Rim Width" at 3.5" or 165mm. I really don't know if that is the tire dimension however or the spec for the rim.

the tires are basically the same as standard tires as far as size. Standard is LT 235/80R-16E and ours is LT235/85R-16G The only difference is the ratio (80 vs 85) I would hope that by this point Montana has their rims sized correctly .

Some things I read in that pdf I posted earlier mentions loose or worn bearings as a possible cause - along with camber or alignment.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:14 AM   #31
MikeM
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6892
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Gkerlin

Also Folks... here is a link to a rather extensive pdf that has photos and discussions of all types of radial tire wear patterns:

http://www.euroratas.lt/galery/_euro...ysis_guide.pdf
Very interesting and thanks for the link! I'm experiencing a wear pattern similar to what Ozz is reporting on all four of my Bridgestone Duravis R250s. According to the guide on page 112, this is not necessarily abnormal as long as the main portion of the tread is wearing evenly. I was going to replace them, but now think I'll just keep a close eye on the wear pattern and see what develops.
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:52 AM   #32
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I am just guessing, and have no inside info at all. But, I had no wear issues with the Missions at all, their problems aside.
I installed my brand of the X-factor, then installed the new wheels and new G-14's, now I have the wear issue after around 4500 miles. Could have presented it's self earlier, just didn't notice it.
Lonnie has a big book that has about every abnormal tire wear that has been documented, the possible culprits listed in his book are: Under-inflation: not my symptom. Mountain driving: the bulk of my driving on the tires has not been mountain driving.
BUT, mountain driving would be highway speed turns under load, the same wear we would get from parking lot turns, the shredding of the inner and outer sides of the tire.
As I said, I really don't know, and hope to talk to Dick today, the area Goodyear supervisor so we can get to the bottom of the problem.
Lonnie, I am in Cottonwood Az, and they have a Tire Pro tire shop here, I am going to ask for 4 new tires, so we will see where this ends up.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:53 AM   #33
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Ozz

I am experiencing the same issue on my SOB with tires that I have never heard of. They are Sailun if I remember correctly without going out to look. When I got this rig I said oh boy another china bomb tire and I still suspect they are. No problems with the tires now in excess of 10,000 miles except I just startred noticing the same tire wear your having. Will be intersted in seeing what Goodyear says here also.

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:17 AM   #34
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Tom, the last time I checked the GY's width requirement for the 614s it was 6.5 inches and our rims are 6. I asked the local GY tire guy about this and he said it shouldn't matter, but he is a salesman so I am still at a loss. However I still got the 614s as they lightyears better than any other Goodyear product. Or most other brands.
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:31 AM   #35
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
The Goodyear G614 LT235/85R16 rim width recommendation is 6.5" to 9.5". The wear pattern on Ozz' tires would indicate a rim wider than 9.5". This is not the case, as his rims are 6" wide. Rims being too narrow would cause the center portion of the tread to wear faster than the outer edges.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:37 PM   #36
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Lonnie, I agree. If anything, they should be wearing in the center like a lot of GM's tires did when they put tires designed for 7" rims on 6" rims.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote