Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-01-2012, 04:01 AM   #1
PackersBackers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8100
Dometic refrigerator climate control not working?

We have a Dometic refrigerator model DM2862 in our 2009 3400RL. We have been on the coast in SE Texas since late January. It has been quite humid most of those days, as we have experienced before (we have been here for part of two winters with this unit and no refrigerator issues up until now). The finned evaporator developed drops of water almost immediately after we arrived so temp was turned down from 4 to 3. The climate control switch was, and is, in the ON position. This morning, we found all but five of the fins completely frosted up; so much so that there is no space between them, only frost. The last five are partially frosted. We have a freezer full of frozen fish so do not want to defrost if we can fix this issue another way. Suggestions and recommendations would be most welcomed.

PackersBackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:00 AM   #2
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
Frosting up that quickly is not normal. Sounds like a gasket on the door has failed.
We go 3 months in the Florida Keys and are not that frosted.
I know of no other way than defrosting to get rid of the frost.
I have heard of people putting their frozen food into a good cooler and then using a hair drier on low heat to defrost quickly. But I have not tried it myself.
Check the owners manual for precautions. Do not use sharp objects.
Good luck.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:47 AM   #3
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
I agree with camper4, it sounds like your door is not sealing properly. We have a foldup insulated cooler we put the frozen food in while defrosting. Dometic does not recommend a hairdryer but we have cautiously used one on occaision. All it takes is an air flow into the compartment to speed things up
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:19 AM   #4
PackersBackers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8100
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by camper4

Frosting up that quickly is not normal. Sounds like a gasket on the door has failed.
We go 3 months in the Florida Keys and are not that frosted.
I know of no other way than defrosting to get rid of the frost.
I have heard of people putting their frozen food into a good cooler and then using a hair drier on low heat to defrost quickly. But I have not tried it myself.
Check the owners manual for precautions. Do not use sharp objects.
Good luck.
Thank you for your response. The gasket seems to be fine. It has defrosted so we'll start over and see what happens. Thanks again. BTW... do you know what the white tab, that is attached to the fin on the far right, is for? It slides up and down. The rep told us when we did our walk through but we've both forgotten and it's not mentioned in any of the refrigerator literature we have.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:32 AM   #5
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
That tab holds the temperature sensor. I can't remember the particulars, but there has been more than one thread talking about it and how to adjust the temperature.

The climate control prevents condensation from forming on the outside of the refrigerator. It doesn't have anything to do with keeping frost off the fins.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:57 AM   #6
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
The sliding tab is the temperature control for inside the fridge. The easiest way to remember it is up (think North) is for colder, down (think South) is for warmer.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:57 AM   #7
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
Since your seal appears to be okay, I can only offer that you should limit the time the door is open as much as possible. As mentioned above, there is no inside auto defrost so the longer the door is open, the faster the coils frost up, especially in humid wether.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:48 AM   #8
PackersBackers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8100
Thank you everyone for your input. It's been very helpful. I'm sure it's the hubby who's taking something out of the frig more often than I am. We'll keep an eye on that.
I'm going to do a bit of studying up on that temperature control inside the refrigerator so I have it set correctly.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:51 AM   #9
lfw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8881
I installed a fan that hooks on the fin's about a month ago.. so far there is no frost on the fins..I got it off Ebay for $15 with free shipping.. Refrigerator seems to be a little colder than before.. I even turned it down one notch..
lfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:15 AM   #10
PackersBackers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8100
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by lfw

I installed a fan that hooks on the fin's about a month ago.. so far there is no frost on the fins..I got it off Ebay for $15 with free shipping.. Refrigerator seems to be a little colder than before.. I even turned it down one notch..
lfw...what is that fan called?
Old 03-01-2012, 11:29 AM   #11
lfw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8881
Here is the item #250905640959
I see he raised the price a little and now is charging for shipping...Mine runs all the time.. I just followed his directions.. He was very good at answering all my question..

lfw
lfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:09 PM   #12
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
This link may help
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DOMETIC-NORC...243fff&vxp=mtr
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote