Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-03-2012, 06:35 AM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Vinegar works

After 4-1/2 years of constant use, our kitchen faucet had mineral deposits showing from under the lever. It was getting ugly, so it was time to do something or get a new one. I didn't want to spend the money for a new one. Attempting to clean it was a better or at least cheaper option.

Got out the vinegar and poured the lever full of it after I loosen the set screw and took it off. It was set aside for the soaking and the vinegar did its work. It bubbled and foamed and removed the deposits.

Now for the deposits on the fixture. Wiped it down with vinegar and waited a bit, then took a wet pumice stick and gently scrubbed the metal surfaces. A little work to clean the cracks and crevices made it look like new. Put the handle on and tightened the set screw and all done.

If you want to do this and can't find the set screw, it is under the little blue/red plug in the on/off lever. Mine takes a 1/8" Allen wrench.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:26 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I've heard this works, but I can't stand the smell of vinegar. This drives DW crazy because she loves malt vinegar on her fish, tabasco on her eggs and using vinegar as a cleaning agent. Fortunately, I can just leave the room. This task will only work for us if I can get DW to learn how to remove the set screw, do all the work on the faucet and put it back together again. Or, Stiles, how much would you charge if I needed this done?

Or do like Ozz (and others) and install a water softener and prevent (or slow down) the deposit collection. We don't use our rig as much as many of you and the deposits aren't that bad, yet.

Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:47 AM   #3
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Thanks, Stiles
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:23 PM   #4
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

Vinegar works good for things like that. It is a mild acid.

Did you neutralize the vinegar with baking soda? You may have problems in the future if you didn’t.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:28 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Good tip, Stiles. Thanks!
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:14 AM   #6
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Art, use nose plugs and man up for the little lady.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:12 PM   #7
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
A bottle of vinegar through the coffee maker periodically will remove the deposits from the insides of the machine as well. If you can do it outside you won't need the nose plugs.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:32 PM   #8
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Yes, we do the descaling thing with vinegar on the coffee pot about every 6 months. Makes the coffee pod work better and quieter. We have the Keurig individual cup brewer. It does an outstanding job. Dianna and I like different coffee blends, so it works great for us.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:48 AM   #9
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
If you can't stand the smell of vinegar, or you just want something commercial, KA-BOOM. Just spray it on, wait, rinse it off.

I'm thinking you could also use a "baggie" put vinegar in it, slip it up so the nozzle is encased in liquid, and seal the bag around the faucet with rubber bands, or whatever. Let it sit and dissolve the deposits.

Happy trails.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote