Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2012, 03:47 AM   #1
TYR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9976
Mousie in "Attic" ???

Okay, we think/suspect/are afraid that we have a mousie living between the ceiling panels and the roof in our bedroom. Usually only between 2-3 AM there is a scurrying noise, nothing dramatic and really not heard any other time. Of course, we don't spend all day in the bedroom!

Is this possible? I suppose it is possible, as mice can fit just about anywhere. Doesn't seem like there would be much room for anything, though.

No, we have not seen any evidence whatsoever of mice in the interior, i.e., droppings, etc. Nothing.

We have a small dog; therefore, setting a trap in the open is not feasible, nor are poisons, etc.

Obviously we don't want said alleged critter to do damage and don't want it to die inside the ceiling . . . ewwwww!

Any ideas? Ways to get rid of it (yes, I know about traps, peanut butter, etc.) Need to lure it out to trap it, probably.

Or are we just hallucinating and there really isn't room for a mousie in the ceiling?

Thanks!
Betty

TYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:04 AM   #2
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
We had a mouse in our attic this past summer. I took down the vent molding in the bedroom and put some Decon in the ceiling space. In a couple of days......mouse gone.....no smell. I think he went looking for water and left the premises. :-)
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:05 AM   #3
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
The space between the ceiling and roof is between 6 and 10 inches, so you can get a fair sized critter up there. I would take the shower sky light inner bubble down and set a snap trap or two just inside that area and re install the inner bubble. Bait it with peanut butter. If the critter is active around 0200 then you may hear the "snap" when it goes for the p'butter. Check it every two or three days if you don't hear it. If there is a critter up there the snap trap will get it...
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:21 AM   #4
corncob
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8226
In our previous unit (3465SA) we had that experience. I finally got him by baiting a mouse trap with peanut butter and placing it on the floor behind/underneath the frig area. The route he was using was via a electrical wire coming thru a large hole about two feet up the wall. Keystone left the paneling hole big enough to route ten cables. Had to use extender pinchers to get him out as he crawled under the appliance. Lot of mouse tracks led me to the area.
Good luck! They are a big pain.
corncob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:02 AM   #5
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
We had them up there last year. They got up by the front cap and climb the insulation. The best way I have found is make them hate where they are living. Pull the garnishes around the vents and throw some moth balls up there. Then put a bowl with some in it and put it up in the front compartment. When they decide they don't like it they will move out. Then they may come inside, so thats when you set your traps with PB on it. Put them under the stove or sink area where your puppy can't get to it. Good luck.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote