Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-10-2010, 02:14 PM   #1
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
water heater switch

Is the switch on the outside of the water heater (for the electric element) a dealer only part or can it be picked up elsewhere?

I thought my element was out since the water suddenly only heated to luke warm. Changed it out today with a new element and still only gets luke warm. I researched here and saw where several of you have had to replace the switch and this seems like the next logical step. Where did you get the replacement?

Thanks,

Phil

wingerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 02:24 PM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Phil,
I got mine from Ace Hardware I think. I recommend pulling the switch out. Remember to disconnect power to be safe. Check the contacts with a volt ohm meter. There are two reset buttons hidden behind the rubber cover too. Good luck. Let us know how it comes out.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 03:19 PM   #3
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
John,

I noticed the reset buttons and the rubber covers over mine are cracked. What are these buttons? I pushed them but they didn't seem to move or do anything.
wingerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 03:29 PM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Those buttons are Breaker rest buttons. I would agree with you that it is the switch. Just ohm it out to verify. I had to replace mine.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 03:48 PM   #5
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
I went online and found it through one of the mail order places. did a search on brand and parts breakdown, I think it was about 10 dollars. But since I have CRS I cant remember who I bought it from :-)
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 06:24 PM   #6
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
You may find it is the thermostat that is bad. If it was the switch bad it should not heat on elect at all. There are two thermostats behind the rubber resets. One is for gas and the other is for elect.. The resets are for reseting the thermostats if they overheat and trip off.
If you need one they make two different temps. and I think the right one is 140 degrees.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:07 AM   #7
5ER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #90
Now all they need to do is add a temperature switch that protects the electrical heater from burning up.
Phil, seems funny that it would heat the water to luke warm. I would think you would have lots of heat or none at all.
5ER is offline   Reply With Quote