Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2010, 04:09 AM   #1
bill maietta
Established Member

M.O.C. #9955
gas detector

I store my rv and this is the second time this has happened. The alarm on the gas detector eventually starts beeping and runs the batt down. Since it is stored and closed up I cant really get to it until i take it out of storage again. this does not happen while we are camping somewhere and I always turn the propane off while stored. Could the detector be bad or is there something else to check out?

bill maietta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 08:37 AM   #2
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
Make sure the battery is not dropping it's voltage as it sits in storage. That will happen over time. Low voltage could cause the gas detector to sound off. The detector may be fine.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 08:59 AM   #3
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
This happened to me a couple of years ago when I was having a converter problem and the circuit breaker for the converter would keep tripping causing the voltage (12 volts) to drop (always at night) and setting off the alarm. I have since gotten the converter replaced and installed a battery disconnect switch so the batteries are not drained while in storage.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 03:12 PM   #4
bill maietta
Established Member

M.O.C. #9955
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PapaBeav

This happened to me a couple of years ago when I was having a converter problem and the circuit breaker for the converter would keep tripping causing the voltage (12 volts) to drop (always at night) and setting off the alarm. I have since gotten the converter replaced and installed a battery disconnect switch so the batteries are not drained while in storage.
Thanks guys, i'll check it out. Rich, how do I install a batt disconnect switch?
Old 03-16-2010, 05:49 PM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Bill, here's an example of a battery disconnect switch:

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...-switches/1461

Remove the existing positive battery cable that goes to the Monty and attach it to the post on the disconnect switch. Then attach the round connector from the disconnect switch to the battery post. The blade lever connects and disconnects the battery.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 07:55 PM   #6
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bill maietta

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PapaBeav

Thanks guys, i'll check it out. Rich, how do I install a batt disconnect switch?
There are several types out there to chose from. I went to the local marine (boat) dealer and picked this one up and mounted on the side wall next to the batteries. Instructions included.
http://www.amazon.com/Perko-9601DP-M.../dp/B00144BF9Q
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 12:15 PM   #7
bill maietta
Established Member

M.O.C. #9955
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by camper4

Make sure the battery is not dropping it's voltage as it sits in storage. That will happen over time. Low voltage could cause the gas detector to sound off. The detector may be fine.
Thanks Keith,
I double checked today and the batt was definately run down. it took about a month since we were last out and to the best of my knowledge nothing has been left on. I disconnected the batt today after I left the rv hooked up to my truck while it ran for about 20 minutes. Is there any way to check with a voltmeter to see if I am drawing current from something? The batt has held up in the past for longer than a month.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:58 PM   #8
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Do you have only one battery? The voltmeter will only show your current battery voltage. My batteries typically shows 12.9 volts each with or without a load. I think they are supposed to be higher than that but hopefully someone can comment on what the voltage is supposed to be.

As batteries age, they do lose their ability to charge quicker unless you can sustain the charge with proper chargers/conditioners and if you only have one battery it will discharge quicker than if you had two.

To check current draw (if something is left on), you need some kind of automotive ammeter (a.k.a. amperage meter) which measures the amount of current in amps being drawn but I don't have a recommendation on which one to use - a search of the internet might yield a suggestion. If nothing is on, then the ammeter should show 0 amps, anything higher than that means some is drawing current and will drain your battery quicker than not. It is also the nature of a battery to lose voltage even when nothing is on, a battery will drain anyway just not as fast.

For the propane detector, some RVers have added a switch to it turn off when in storage and not cause any current draw. Just don't forget to turn it back on when you are using the rig. Maybe other members can make suggestions on what else could be drawing power, like the antenna booster (don't forget to turn it off), or if you have an inverter, is something connected to it, like your entertainment unit. If your entertainment unit is off but you see a red light indicator then you are still drawing current. Or if you see your MW clock still working, it is drawing current. All rigs will vary depending on how we have them configured and connected.

It sounds like you are a candidate to take your battery(ies) home and keep them charged and conditioned there. That's what I did when I stored my trailers elsewhere and got tired of dealing with dead batteries. I sort of do the same thing now that I store the trailer on my driveway, but I use a disconnect switch, then use a "Battery Minder" to keep the batteries charged and conditioned since I am able to keep my rig connected to 110v. The Battery Minder charger/conditioner is then connected to the isolated batteries as it runs off a 110v outlet in the rig.

Please keep us posted on how you get this figured out.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 02:14 AM   #9
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
The gas dectector,TV booster and the refridgerator humidity control will all draw current.So make sure they are turned off you can pull the fuse for the gas dectector should be the one on the far left or disconnect the battery as mentioned these three devises will run the battery down I had the same problem back a few years
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote