Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2009, 12:38 PM   #1
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
Replacement Wheel Rim Recommendation?

Would like your recommendations/referrals for the best deals/service as I must replace one of my Aluminum '5 Star' 16"x6" 8 Lug Rims.
A slow leak that just developed after one segment of a trip on a brand new BFG Commercial T/A tire was traced to a tiny crack on the inside of the Rim. Fortunately my 5+ year old spare tire (still had the label on it) and plain steel rim survived the return journey, but I want to get the new tire on a new rim before our next outing in a month or so.

I hope these failures are rare! I've only got about 7K miles on my 05.

PPL? Anyplace else?

Thanks for your advice/experience (though maybe few have encountered this problem?)!

RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 04:35 PM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I can comment on your query about others that have had that problem. The first and only time that this had happened to me was with my current 2006 Ford F-250, but it happened on a coast-to-coast trip from California to the Florida Keys, Georgia, etc without the trailer. On the very last night of our 3 week trip I found my truck with a flat as I was loading up our luggage for the last day's trip home. I swapped out the spare and drove to the closest tire shop and they discovered the crack in the wheel. We then drove home the last 350 miles home and the next day I went to the dealer. The wheel was ordered (I still had to convince them it was their problem) and took about 4 days. Fortunately it was still under warranty since I only had about 15,000 miles on my truck and it was within the first year of ownership. When the new wheel came in they remounted the tire and installed it back in the truck and put the spare back in its place.

As for place to find replacement wheel? You can start with the dealer. At least make them tell you what the size and offset, name of the wheel and that kind of information to ensure a correct replacement. If you don't want to order one there, then you can try a tire shop or other wheel supplier.

My son-in-law has a Nissan 350Z that got two cracked aftermarket non-Nissan wheels he's had to replace so he went to some local tire distributor and bought completely new wheels.

I had never heard of these problems until recently, now I hear about them too much. What gives?
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 11:19 PM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RRman

Would like your recommendations/referrals for the best deals/service as I must replace one of my Aluminum '5 Star' 16"x6" 8 Lug Rims.
A slow leak that just developed after one segment of a trip on a brand new BFG Commercial T/A tire was traced to a tiny crack on the inside of the Rim. Fortunately my 5+ year old spare tire (still had the label on it) and plain steel rim survived the return journey, but I want to get the new tire on a new rim before our next outing in a month or so.

I hope these failures are rare! I've only got about 7K miles on my 05.

PPL? Anyplace else?

Thanks for your advice/experience (though maybe few have encountered this problem?)!
After replacing two of the aluminum wheels with new ones and having two more aluminum wheels go bad, I decided to go with steel wheels. I now have two aluminums on one side and two steel on the other. The steel ones do not look exactly alike but they're perfectly okay. I'm thinking that if you are a little overloaded (which I am) it puts more stress on these aluminum wheels than they want. The steel wheels only cost $65 each.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 11:38 PM   #4
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
First thing I would ask is if the rim mfg would stand behind the rim and give you a replacement. If that fails and you don't want to pay retail, check out some of the RV salvage yards, or even ebay. Just make sure any rim(s) you buy have the same weight rating, and have them inspected before mounting.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 04:20 AM   #5
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
I've emailed the vendor listed on the Keystone OEM List about the "lifetime" warranty on the Aluminum Trailer Wheel/Rim. However as the second owner, I doubt I get any help.
Also, I rechecked/updated my RV mileage so I actually have just over 9000 miles on it. Also, I run just over 12K lbs - we're not fulltimers, all the Living area cupboards are bare, basement only partially full and I've replaced the old heavy Tube TV and Dometic Fridge with a light LCD TV and a lighter Residential Fridge.
The Tire dealer said Trailer Rims are not widely stocked like regular truck and auto rims that many sell all over and that he had to get new rims for his Toyhauler online (but couldn't remember from where).
So that's why I am interested in any experiance MOCers have.
Thanks for the great advice so far!

Thanks
Old 11-03-2009, 06:46 AM   #6
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
You might take a look here.

http://www.southwestwheel.com/
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 08:57 AM   #7
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
As it turns out, I must give the OEM Supplier credit for warranty support as the following message from TREDIT Tires indicates:

"Good news and bad news. The good news is you are going to get a replacement, the bad news is this wheel is no longer in existence. BUT Tredit will stand by this product as the distributor and send a complete set of replacement wheels for you.
We will be sending your replacements UPS Pre-Paid"

Ouch, 4 tires dismount, balance and mountings...I would have settled for two new wheels, so they would be the same on one side, but maybe Tredit knows something about the legacy wheels that replacing all is a good idea...

Thanks for the advice!
Old 11-06-2009, 12:56 PM   #8
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Just an FYI - we experienced the same thing here in Oklahoma (a hairline crack in the aluminum rim causing air leakage) and were able to have the crack rim welded. So far, so good on the repair.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 01:27 PM   #9
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Chas, I think you got a good deal from Tredit. I have had dealings with them and found them to be a top notch and caring organization, plus, they have a great looking building in Elkhart. I was able to get my '06 wheels upgraded to accept the higher pressure tires and additional weight ratings.....BTW If you don't have a tire pressure monitoring system, I would look into one. I personally like the Pressure Pro.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:21 PM   #10
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
Thanks for the continued advice!
My wheel leak was a hairline crack too, and my tire dealer suggested welding was a possible fix but often led to another failure (maybe a bad casting/wheel is a bad wheel?)...and recommended getting a new wheel.
Old 11-07-2009, 12:43 AM   #11
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Well, if you don't want to change all four, send me the new rims, and I'll send you my matching old ones.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 03:09 PM   #12
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
Thanks for the inspiration, I think I'll just keep two of the new ones as spares for now and possible put to use the next time the tires on the old rims need replacement.
Sorry, not interested in a trade!
Old 11-10-2009, 03:33 PM   #13
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
4 new 16" Wheel/Rims arrived in the IDA rain via UPS today.
Ah, no longer a star pattern, they have lots of little holes. I'll swap out two on one side for now and see how they hold up/look.