Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2009, 06:49 AM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
MOR/ryde equalizers

After 10,000 miles, I decided to look at my suspension system, particularly the shackles, spring eyes, and equalizers. I discovered that the rubber portion of the equalizer looked suspicious. I took pictures of the equalizers with closeups of the suspicious area, then after calling and talking to the tech at MOR/ryde, I emailed the pictures to him.

Shazam, the tech said I was having some delamination of the rubber from the metal portion of the equalizer. MOR/ryde is sending me the parts that need to be replaced under warranty. At the same time, he is sending me the wet bolt and brass bushing kit. As long as I have it all apart, I might as well do both.

If I were near the dealer, I would have them do the deed, but, alas, they are 600 miles away. The procedure will be similar to what is needed to do any other shackle job.

Just an FYI, the part the shackle attaches to is called a "Z" bracket and the the rubber part is called the "rubber spring". If you plan to do a shackle replacement with wet bolts and brass bushings, you will need to replace the "Z" brackets with enclosed "Z" brackets to handle the wet bolt. The OEM brackets are open, so the wet bolts would not work on that end of the shackle.

This discussion is about the MOR/ryde (RE), not the after market MOR/ryde (SI).

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 09:08 AM   #2
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Could you post a couple of those pictures?
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 11:10 AM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Here's the pictures.

Old 01-28-2009, 04:46 PM   #4
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Sorry to hear of the problem Stiles!

I am really disappointed in the Mor-Ryde system. Yours is not the first delamination reported here, and there are the other complications like David and Jo-anne. I'm beginning to think the Mor-Ryde is a demerit instead of a merit.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 02:09 AM   #5
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Thanks for the pics.

Do you suppose the problem is weight related...BS is heavier than the Montana?
Old 01-29-2009, 07:44 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Dave(sprik) had that problem last year and had one side repaced here in Florida. As I recall Mor Ryde said that the problem was caused by a defect in the casting of the rubber and was not a common issue....?????
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 12:30 PM   #7
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Is the problem weight related? Let me answer that in two ways. (1) Everything that causes problem with suspension parts is weight related. As a example, the failure of nylon bushings is weight related. Nylon bushings will fail without putting a lot of miles on the unit by the shear weight of the rig because of the flow characteristics of nylon under pressure.

(2) If by asking if the problem is weight related it is meant to ask if we have over loaded the unit and are asking it to do more than what it is designed to do, then the answer is, "No". Fully loaded, I have weighed the unit and the truck and both are under the gross weight categories in every case both individually and combined.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:29 AM   #8
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by stiles watson

(2) If by asking if the problem is weight related it is meant to ask if we have over loaded the unit and are asking it to do more than what it is designed to do, then the answer is, "No". Fully loaded, I have weighed the unit and the truck and both are under the gross weight categories in every case both individually and combined.
I did not mean to infer that you are, were, or ever have been over weight. My question was directed at the fact that this problem seems to be happening to BS owners...which is an RV that is about 2,500# heavier than the Montana line. If they increased the weight rating but did not increase the carrying capacity of all the components...that could be the problem.
Old 01-30-2009, 09:45 AM   #9
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Since I am not privy to the failure rate on Big Sky 340 units as compared to MOR/ryde equipped Montana 3400 units. It would be hard to speculate. However, that is a good question for the designers at both Keystone and MOR/ryde.

The frame twisting issue and the delamination issue are not the same. The frame I-beam flange twisting would be an installation issue, while the delamination issue is a part failure. Both could certainly be related to weight, but twisting is Keystone's problem and delamination is MOR/ryde's. At least that is the way I perceive it.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:31 AM   #10
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I would agree the delam and twisting are different issues, but as far as who's problem, it really ends up being ours (at least inconvenience) because we bought a Mor-Ryde equipped trailer.

Sure, Keystone, Lippert, and Mor-Ryde can point fingers back and forth, but we're the ones with the thumb out on the side of the road. I sold my 2003 to put Alko axles and frame flex behind me, only to land in frame twist and delamination. Isn't RVing fun
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 03:19 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks for the headsup, Stiles. It has been awhile since I checked ours but will do so. We had the wet bolt install done when we replaced axles last summer. The rubber was good at that time. But we've done a few thousand miles since then. Time to crawl under and check again. So far I've been very happy with the improvement in ride with this suspension. But that holds only if the hardware holds up.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote