Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2009, 03:52 AM   #1
dandt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7142
Water Heater Making Loud Whining Sound

All of a sudden our hot water heater when using hot water is making a loud whining/grinding sound. Only when using hot water, not cold. Last week we replaced anode bar and all seemed good. Now all of a sudden this sound. Has anyone else experienced this problem, and any ideas what could be the cause. Thanks you guys are life savers. Dave

dandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 04:33 AM   #2
winter texan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7510
There is a brass valve that screws into the water heater on the out to water system side that needs replaced. Cost about $7 and only requires the use of an adjustable wrench. If not replaced, at some point there may be no hot water coming into the trailer.
winter texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 02:24 AM   #3
MikeM
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6892
I'm also having the same problem. Any info on where to purchase the valve (Lowe's, Home Depot, CW, etc.) and what to ask for?
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 03:56 AM   #4
winter texan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7510
I'm in South Texas and got mine from a Mom & Pop RV supply store.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:38 AM   #5
crandallbradley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5044
Mine made noise for awhile,then one day only a cold shock.I removed that valve about a year ago.
crandallbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 06:26 AM   #6
winter texan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7510
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by winter texan

Old 01-30-2009, 06:33 AM   #7
winter texan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7510
[quote]Originally posted by winter texan

[quote]Originally posted by winter texan

Sorry I didn't answer the total question. The valve screws into the top of the water heater where hot water flows out. Don't know the correct name but it's a back flow valve that keeps the water from flowing out of water lines back into the water heater. When I took mine out I could see that a gasket and spring were not opening correctly causing, probably restricted flow, and the noise. Replaced and now no noise.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:52 AM   #8
Ronnelly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #794
Ours makes that noise too. What size is the valve that needs to be replaced. Thanks!

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by winter texan

There is a brass valve that screws into the water heater on the out to water system side that needs replaced. Cost about $7 and only requires the use of an adjustable wrench. If not replaced, at some point there may be no hot water coming into the trailer.
Ronnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 02:37 PM   #9
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
I replaced the original with one from Lowes. The original had a spring and a plastic flapper, and I replaced it with a solid brass one that should never give a problem (no spring or plastic)
It is called a check valve.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 03:14 PM   #10
dandt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7142
Thank you for the input,sorry I took so long to reply but our WiFi has been down. I replaced the valve & took care of the noise. It was a real bear to get the old one off, I guess they ran out of teflon tape & just decided to make it leak proof by putting 150lbs of torque on it. A new question. Why are there check valves on it? The only thing I can think of is in case you put anifreeze in the lines to winterize it the antifreeze can't get in your H2O heater. And if that is the case & I never plan to use A/F can I replace the check valves (one one the cold inlet side also) with brass nipples. This would have to increase H2O flow I would think. Thanks again, Dave
dandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 03:11 AM   #11
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
I think preventing antifreeze back flow is the main reason for the water heater valve. The main water supply back flow may be a different issue. I don't think it has any role in winterizing the trailer, in fact it is a bit of a hindrance. That one may be there to prevent unintended draining of your system by letting water siphon out of your unit, onto the ground, or into the connected water system, should it fail. It may even be possible to drain the HW tank this way, and that is not something you would want to happen. (Not sure about this, just speculating).
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:39 AM   #12
Ronnelly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #794
We checked at Lowe's and Home Depot - did not have the 1/2 inch check valve, so checked with the Keystone Dealer Parts store here in Cocoa,Fl and were able to get it.

The Repair guy at Suncoast Rv was in the Parts store at the same time. He was replacing a check valve for another customer. He showed us the defective check valve. Also told us to wrap teflon tape around the check valve before replacing it.

Just think all the money we are saving thanks to you All on the Montana website.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MikeM

I'm also having the same problem. Any info on where to purchase the valve (Lowe's, Home Depot, CW, etc.) and what to ask for?
Old 02-03-2009, 02:34 PM   #13
Ronnelly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #794
Our hot water heater is quiet again. My husband replaced the check valve this morning. It was really tight in there, so had to use a lot of muscle to break it loose. There is a rubber seal that connects to the plastic pipe, make sure you don't throw that away. Ours was stuck to the defective check valve. Also use teflon tape on the threads that go into the water heater. Works great now. No leaks -- no noise

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dandt

All of a sudden our hot water heater when using hot water is making a loud whining/grinding sound. Only when using hot water, not cold. Last week we replaced anode bar and all seemed good. Now all of a sudden this sound. Has anyone else experienced this problem, and any ideas what could be the cause. Thanks you guys are life savers. Dave