Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-31-2008, 04:19 AM   #1
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Tissue......

We have been using the Scott 1000 tissue for some time. We bought a big pack at HEB, and I noticed the tissue was embossed, where the other had been smooth texture. I emailed Kimberly-Clark, and they advised me it might be old stock. I was afraid it might be mis-packaged or labeled and actually be the Extra Soft tissue. I didn't know the Extra Soft was RV safe. Here's part of their response:

[Also, you may be interested to know that both SCOTT 1000 bathroom tissue and SCOTT Extra Soft bathroom tissue are one-ply tissues, unscented, septic safe and safe for RV's and boats because it passes water breakup tests.]

SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 05:16 AM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SlickWillie

We have been using the Scott 1000 tissue for some time. We bought a big pack at HEB, and I noticed the tissue was embossed, where the other had been smooth texture. I emailed Kimberly-Clark, and they advised me it might be old stock. I was afraid it might be mis-packaged or labeled and actually be the Extra Soft tissue. I didn't know the Extra Soft was RV safe. Here's part of their response:

[Also, you may be interested to know that both SCOTT 1000 bathroom tissue and SCOTT Extra Soft bathroom tissue are one-ply tissues, unscented, septic safe and safe for RV's and boats because it passes water breakup tests.]
We are really partial to Angel Soft tissue. We've used it for over eight years of full timing and have had no problems. Some of that could be because of the additive we charge the septic with. But of all the tissues we've tried, Angel Soft breaks down most readily.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 05:17 AM   #3
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Will, we have been using the Scott 1000 and the Mega Rolls for the last two years. It has been no problem. I usually look for the embossed tissue when I can find it. it looks like a very fine basket weave. Some of the local stores don't stock Scott so we usually get it at Wally World or the local Fred's Drugstore. As far as I have been able to ascertain the whole of the Scott line is usable. I did try Charmin but it didn't work well. It tended to clump up and in our SOB (Jayco) we had a small pyramid problem that required a stick. So we have been using the Scott ever since. Also beware of White Cloud, after we got our new septic system installed at home the septic guy told us to NOT use it if possible as it tended to not breakup and would just sit at the top of the tank so that when pumped they had to punch through it with the vacuum hose... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 05:51 AM   #4
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Dave, White Cloud was the only paper that passed the "dissolve it in a glass of water test". We did that last winter. I could not believe that some of the other brands did not pass. They all said Septic Safe. SIGHHHH

It has been mentioned here on the forum before, that the companies have changed their "formula" and some of the brands that would pass the dissolve test no longer did so.

Just when I think I got something figured out, some chemist at the manufacturers changes the formula and all bets are off on whether this will dissolve or not. SIGHHHH

And, all that said, I will chant again: More water, less paper, more water, less paper. If ya ain't got much in there, it ain't gonna create as many issues when ya dump.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 05:59 AM   #5
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Carol, I agree with you, we did get some of that paper that they sold at CW that did not dissolve at all. That was when we went back to Scott. I haven't even tried white cloud myself just because of the septic guy's statement but it is cheap as is the Scott so may try that too just for giggles... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 06:42 AM   #6
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
That stuff from CW is a joke, sorry if I offend, but, gesssshshhhhhh, it is expensive and years ago it had an offensive odor.

Me thinks it would be prudent to "test" your favorite brand once in a while, and see if it still performs the way you want.

Let us know Dave!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 08:28 AM   #7
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
Sounds like we have an ISSUE with the Tissue.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 08:58 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We really like Angel Soft also. I really like how it breaks up. When I used a single tissue in a jar for the shake test, when I poured it down the sink drain every single bit of it went right through the strainer. Now that's a finely broken up tissue.

We learned the hard way what happens when you use a tissue that does not break up. The brand we used to use (will have to ask Vicki to remind me what brand) that once upon a time passed the breakdown test but no longer does, we got that dreaded pyramid in the tank. There was not much joy in resolving that issue.

Thanks for the clues, Will, on the Scott tissues. It's always nice to know what options are available.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 11:21 AM   #9
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Angel Soft is like you are on cloud nine and it breaks down completely, we love it and so does our bums....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 11:28 AM   #10
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
yep, Angel Soft wins out over Scott for us too. Either one will break up.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 12:01 PM   #11
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I'll guaranteeeee you that Angel Soft dissolves. Once I had a wet hand....... Well, never mind! But it sure does dissolve.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 03:17 PM   #12
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

I'll guaranteeeee you that Angel Soft dissolves. Once I had a wet hand....... Well, never mind! But it sure does dissolve.
Never have had that problem. Did you really have paper in hand?

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 12:26 AM   #13
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Been using Scott ever since our septic man recommended it. We had 2- 1,000 septics at our motel, at that time, the only tissue he recommended was Scott single ply.
When we decided to adopt the RV lifestyle we asked his advice and again he only recommended Scott. Also, he suggested we never ever use any additives in the septic and other than a deoderizer he would never use an additive in the black tank either.
He loved the old adage "You can pay me know or pay me later" and than added "A lot more later".
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 01:37 AM   #14
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Glenn, I hope you take this as tongue-in-cheek as it is intended. It sounds like your tank man found a tissue that worked and latched on to it. So it would not matter if an acceptable newer product came along later, his mind was made up. If that attitude remained the majority point of view, we would be RVing in covered wagons pulled by mules.

Newer ideas are not always good, but often they are. Older products can be very good, but so can newer ones. Scott does work, but so does Angel Soft. I have used both with equal success, but prefer the Angel Soft product. By-the-way, after 1-1/2 years of full timing in the new rig, that flaky OEM tank monitor on my black tanks still works accurately. Happy New Year!!
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 02:07 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
If the tissue passes the dissolve in water test we use it no matter what brand. We are in full hookups 99.8 % of the time so water usage is not a issue. We keep the black (and galley) tank closed and dump every couple of days. We do not skimp on water or tissue usage, no need to if on full hookups. We also do not normally use additives in the tank... again if you dump every couple of days there is no need to. We do use the cheapest of fabric softener to keep the tank slippery and as a deodorizer(not every day)when we do use a additive from time to time and we use a enzyme based additive and remember you have got to give them TIME to work. always keep in mind that these are HOLDING TANKS not the system in the stick house. Use plenty of water, dump and flush on a regular basses. This is our 5th camper...never a tank problem .
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote