Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-26-2008, 08:45 AM   #1
mfoss
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2923
Magic Chef Oven won't light

I was all set to put a roast in the oven on Christmas Day and we couldn't get the pilot light to light. There is plenty of propane and the burners work fine. The oven has always been a little brat to light but this is the first time it has failed. We took the burner cover off and tapped it here and there but it was a no go. Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong and the solution to go with it?

mfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 10:11 AM   #2
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
There have been some threads on this problem and some said that the line had been plugged partway by spider webs. You might want to run somethind down the line to see if you pull out any web or anything that might be blocking it! I'm sure there will be others that will jump into this thread also! Keep us informed on what turns out!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 10:23 AM   #3
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Ours can be a bear, sometimes, too. Turning the dial to "light" doesn't seem to be enough now and then. Turn a bit higher and hold a butane lighter under the pilot or near the burner itself?!! Be safe and good luck. Frustrating!
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 11:36 AM   #4
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
I agree with Chris - I have to give it a nudge past the pilot light setting to get it to go and this is a new rig. Had to do the same in the old rig. Figure that the calibration of these ovens are not great, but are generally okay for RV use.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 12:56 PM   #5
mfoss
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2923
It doesn't seem to matter how high we turn it up there is no sound of the propane coming in from the line. I do know that the knob must be pushed in and held! We use one of those trigger lighters--it has a good flame--just no propane for it to ignite! How do you check the line for spider webs? Is there such a thing as a thermo couple that could need replacing? Thanks for you replies, really appreciate them!
Old 12-26-2008, 01:42 PM   #6
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
You have to hold the lighter flame under the bi-metalic piece (until it gets hot) to get the propane to flow. I hope this helps. takes 20 to 30 seconds. If you are past the pilot light position watch for burned hairs when the broiler lights. Suggest a charcoal lighter with a reach.
Good luck and let us know what you find.

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 02:15 PM   #7
mfoss
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2923
John, that was it!! We tried it just like you said and held the lighter for 20 to 30 seconds and IT LIT! It sure doesn't seem like we have ever had to hold the lighter there that long before but maybe I was short on patience Christmas morning..........? Anyway, I'm a happy camper, THANK YOU!!
Old 12-26-2008, 03:40 PM   #8
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Good call, John!
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote