Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2008, 01:46 PM   #1
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
There shuld be more heat coming from the registers

I am having a problem with the Furnace air flow...its not very strong..but at least its the same at all registers...I noticed that there is a very large expandable duct that goes into the basement to heat the waste tanks...I was wondering if I should try and adapt a baffle of sorts for that duct(similar to a wood stove flue baffle) and open it only if needed...I also seem to have very little heat in the air...seems to me that it should be much hotter air......Havent seen that particular problem listed yet..anyone have this lack of heated air problem or knowledge of it??

Wiarton William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 05:59 PM   #2
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
Here is how I improved my air flow (still weaker than I would like but better). You need to remove the back wall of the basement storage area to access the furnace (at least that is where mine is). You will most likely see alot of gaps around the flanges that connect the ducts to the furnace air box. I used self tapping screws to secure the flanges to the box (they may vibrate loose otherwise) and then covered the edges with Thermal tape.

The Main feed to the living room feeds out of the top of the box. the square flange on mine was so bent that I could not get it to seat well enough to tape the edges and I couldn't get a screw in the right place so I used a metal bar across the offending corner and I could get screws in the ends of the bar.

Not sure if that is your problem but I was not impressed with the quality of the work in this area of my unit.
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 07:30 PM   #3
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
I never had that problem. Our bedroom got so hot that I got an adjustable register and closed it - and it was still warm enough in the bedroom. I also got an adjustable register for the bathroom and closed it down some. As for the basement, I would use caution closing off the heat to the basement. You need it to prevent freezing water pipes. JMHO.
DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 01:42 AM   #4
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
Thanks Bill......Great photos,, How do yo do that...very impressive.. I will get the furnace running and check the air leakage out.............I have never had frozen piping but have had frozen tanks..that was scary enough.....
Old 04-16-2008, 02:17 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
And there is too much heat going into the bedroom on ours. The register is so hot it hurts when stepped on. We have great airflow both A/c and heat...How come?? There may be 18/20 units on the line and each one will have a different level of quality and workmanship. Mine may leak, yours does not. My slides do not drag or leak..yours may. I may have no over torqued hinge screws..your doors may fall off?? Some folks claim they have never had a problem of any kind..others have many......How come??It is a problem rampant through out the RV industry..lack of control of quality or workmanship.. a simple quality control system whould eliminate 98% of those issues. I asked the question..how do the folks at station number 2 on the line know that the folks at station number one performed all their assigned task in a proper manner... Next time you are on the factory tour ask the question..any tour..any factory..any brand. As long as there is no answer to that question and as long as the consumer does not demand one...nothing changes.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 07:26 AM   #6
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Wiarton William

Thanks Bill......Great photos,, How do yo do that...very impressive.. I will get the furnace running and check the air leakage out.............I have never had frozen piping but have had frozen tanks..that was scary enough.....
How do I do that? I used Paint to doctor the picture. Based on all the tips and ideas here I took before and after shots of alot of my projects in the hope that I could give some back and help others.

By the way, Just a visual inspection was enough for me to find gaps and loose connections - you don't need to have the furnace running, in fact it would probably be safer if it was off.
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 11:22 AM   #7
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
I "used" to be in the HVAC business and was interested in how the furnace was installed in our 3400. I was very plesantly suprised as they did a very good job. I might have done a few things differently to make it pretty, but there was nothing wrong with the work done by the installers. Guess mine wasn't built on a Monday or Friday afternoon.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 11:56 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Don, I'm not sure about the Mountaineer but the hose taking heat to the belly in a Montana is just two inches. I'd think yours is the same. The large hose in our basement carries heated air to the upstairs area, passing through the basement. In earlier Montanas, like our 2003 3295RK, the airflow to the bedroom was very inadequate. The distance from the furnace was too far and there were too many turns in the ducting.

In our 3400, the furnace is midships, just behind the bathroom area, and there is too much heat in the bedroom, as Rich said. We use adjustable registers and block 2/3 of the bedroom vent with foamboard inserted within the register.

In our 2001 2880RL we had the opposite problem. Not enough heat to the bedroom, too much to the water closet. That one had a furnace duct junction box within the lower step to the upstairs. There were four screws accessible through the carpet to remove the top of the step. We found the duct with the most airflow was going to the water closet. So we (the dealer and I) swapped the hoses so the larger airflow went to the bathroom. I don't know if your Mountaineer has this design.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 01:20 AM   #9
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
I will get into those ideas when the weather breaks a bit and I can work outside without heavy sweaters...thanks