Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2008, 11:03 AM   #1
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Grey Tank Overflow

Oops!! I usually leave the grey tank valve opened so that we can use our washer/dryer. It drains into our grey tank. The other day, I closed it to collect some water to flush the sewer hose after a black water tank emptying. Well, I forgot to open it again and yesterday we were leaving to go out and Carol was doing wash. We saw water dripping from the hitch pin box, ran back inside and saw that the floor around the washer was soaked. We found water in the basement and it wasn't until finding water in the shower floor that we learned that the grey tank valve was closed. Now that the tank has been drained and apparently no damage to the tank, my question is - how can we make sure that it dries inside the nose and other hidden areas? Should it be OK to just leave it to air-dry by itself? We are in Central Florida where the weather is going back and forth from rainy to super low humidity days and then back again.

boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 11:37 AM   #2
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Jim and Carol-- First have you vacuumed up any excess water from the carpeting and etc? If not, do it as soon as possible and then I know this sounds stupid but "Do you have a portable heater you carry with you in the Monte?" If so, I would plug it in and heat up the areas one at a time. Place the heater facing the area that got soaked and let it dry that area them place the heater in the next area and etc until it gets dry! It may create some really high humidity in the Monte so I would open the windows or put a fan in the windows or doorway to get that humidity out of your unit! This is my humble opionion but others may come along with better suggestions!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 11:44 AM   #3
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Thanks, Rondo. We are doing that now.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:44 PM   #4
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
It may sound even stupider, but if you run your A/C as well as a heater, you will have one monster dehumidifier working for you.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 01:01 PM   #5
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
John and Donna, we'll start the AC tomorrow, then. On top of using that, the humidity is supposed to drop below 35% tomorrow, causing a Fire Conditions Alert for this area. Maybe that will be the topper for drying it all out. Hope so. Thanks, all - Jim
Old 01-26-2008, 01:59 PM   #6
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
Carol & Jim, It is important to get the carpet and sub floor dry as quick as possible. The longer it is damp, the greater the chance of mold growing. Restoration contractors pull the carpet back, remove the pad, then run lager fans and dehumidifiers to get everything dry quickly. I am sure you don't want to pull up the carpet, but if the carpet and pad are not dry in a couple of days you should consider having professionals dry it out. Good Luck.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 02:31 PM   #7
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Don and Joy - We have had a fan on it for several hours now and also a heater. Tomorrow we will pull washer out and add the AC and see how we can do. Thanks again, all, for your responses. This forum really does work, doesn't it?