Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2007, 02:11 AM   #1
Roamingusa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4995
Ants !!!!!

Hi all,
Not sure if this is posted in the right place but.............
HELP ! I tried the search feature and cannot find anything about ant problems and solutions. I know I read something on here about those little "p--s" ants.
They are invading the cats dry food. We looked outside to see where they are getting in and cannot see where they are entering. They are coming out of our mouldings. We moved the cats food to the living room area and they are coming through the mouldings in the living room, just like they did in the kitchen. We sprayed everything touching the ground outside.(sewer line, water hose, ect.) We haven't tried the cleanser (comet) around the rig yet as the wind blows constantly here in the Reno area.
Any suggestions? Pleeeaaase!
Thanks, Chris

Roamingusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 02:21 AM   #2
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
We carry our cat food in plastic containers. Take it out of the bag and put it in there. We carry our dog food in several plastic jugs too. Pick them up cheap at the Dollar Tree --- my favorite store

Carol
Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 02:38 AM   #3
Roamingusa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4995
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Chuck and Carol

We carry our cat food in plastic containers. Take it out of the bag and put it in there. We carry our dog food in several plastic jugs too. Pick them up cheap at the Dollar Tree --- my favorite store

Carol
Thanks, but we are fulltime and stationary, both of us working yet So "miss Kitty" demands her food stay out where she can "snack" all day.
Old 07-21-2007, 02:47 AM   #4
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Don gets his icecream in those big plastic containers. I save them.
They stack inside each other so don't take up much space. We keep our pet food in those. Our cat food is on the dresser in the bedroom. We put it there to keep dogs out of it. It is velcroed onto the dresser so dogs can't get it down.
I believe the Comet cleanser or some brand would work around the wheels and jack stands if the wind doesn't blow it away.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 02:57 AM   #5
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
Ants cannot cross water. Rig up a bigger pan with the pet food in the center. Fill the bigger pan with water. As for the plastic for the food storage. You must use a container not a plastic bag as ants have no problem eating through the bags.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 03:24 AM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
They are coming in from the outside and so you gotta start at the outside. Get a good ant spray and spray everything the touches the ground.
This includes the..
Front and rear jacks/stabilizers
All 4 Tires
Hoses, both freshwater and sewer
Electrical cord
Cable/Satellite TV line
Tripod
ANYTHING that creates a pathway from the ground to the trailer.

It is not necessary to spray the entire surface of the items but rather just the first 4 to 6 inches where the item contacts the ground.

You could also try Comet or Ajax scouring powder aroung each of the above. Haven't tried it but they say the ants won't crawl accross the cleansers. Not sure if it's the grit or what.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 03:26 AM   #7
Karl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #522
Check out Ortho Home Defense Max. It works well for us in our home to control ants and other insects. After it is dry, it is pet and child safe.

It has been especially helpful in controlling the Asian Beetle and Boxelder Bug infestations we have in Wisconsin each fall.

You can find more information at the Ortho Site, then select "indoor insect control" under "product guide".

http://www.ortho.com/

Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 03:32 AM   #8
txkrumm
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5920
Grants Kills Ants bait traps worked for me. I also cut some of the branches from several different flowering trees that was touching the trailer. Neighbor also sprayed the parts touching the ground, like the jacks and what not. Ants gone!
tara
txkrumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 03:58 AM   #9
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
Home Depot has some ant stuff called Terro. Lawn and garden area. Mix it with some peanut butter and set it in the cabinets and counter tops. I use foil but bottle caps work good or a piece of cardboard. You can also use Borax mixed the same way or with some sugar water. They haul this stuff back to the nest and its night night. We constantly fight ants here and these seem to work the best.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 04:15 AM   #10
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
If it wasn't the cat food, it would be something else in the trailer, I agree that the outer defense if the key, however dropping from trees is also a problem. They are pretty clever, have to be to survive. I got bit by one tiny ant in San Antonio, it was like a bee sting. Fire ant, I guess.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 04:17 AM   #11
catsR4me
Established Member

M.O.C. #6762
Here's a tip we got from the LOW conference: In addition to sprinkling the Comet or Borax around the monty, smear vaseline around the hose and plug connections leading in. If the ants figure out a way to get past your Comet line of defense by climbing up your hoses, they will get stuck in the vaseline!
catsR4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 05:44 AM   #12
Roamingusa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4995
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Karl

Check out Ortho Home Defense Max. It works well for us in our home to control ants and other insects. After it is dry, it is pet and child safe.

It has been especially helpful in controlling the Asian Beetle and Boxelder Bug infestations we have in Wisconsin each fall.

You can find more information at the Ortho Site, then select "indoor insect control" under "product guide".

Thanks Karl,
I was wondering if there was something out there that was "pet safe" We will definately give that a try. We just sprayed again, everything possible outdoors. We have Tarro traps outside and in. Anyone know where I can buy an anteater?
Chris

Old 07-21-2007, 05:50 AM   #13
Karl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #522
Just for fun, I did a google search and did find an anteater for sale. Here is a quote from the ad.

"I have an incredible tamandua (lesser anteater) that I hate to part
with. She is going on 2 years old, raised from a baby by us and is
super tame and personable. Perfect and healthy in every way. She was
used in all our educational shows. We believe she is the only tamandua
in Canada. Asking $2500. To a good home only. She is not an
indoor(house) animal as her urine and feces smell alot."

Hope this helps!

Karl
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 05:57 AM   #14
Roamingusa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4995
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Karl

Just for fun, I did a google search and did find an anteater for sale. Here is a quote from the ad.

"I have an incredible tamandua (lesser anteater) that I hate to part
with. She is going on 2 years old, raised from a baby by us and is
super tame and personable. Perfect and healthy in every way. She was
used in all our educational shows. We believe she is the only tamandua
in Canada. Asking $2500. To a good home only. She is not an
indoor(house) animal as her urine and feces smell alot."

Hope this helps!

Karl
LOL You took my mind off the ants for a while. That was toooo funny!
I think I'll pass....LOL
Old 07-21-2007, 07:32 AM   #15
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We've used the Comet idea with a good degree of success. If you're parking in an area that is known to have ants, you need to encircle every point of your rig that touches the ground, including the tires and front and rear stabilizers. Don't be chintzy with the Comet. I've never tried the vaseline idea.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote