Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2007, 12:46 PM   #1
rubble express
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6477
Hot Fireplace

Im sure this has been covered before but I can't find it. What can be done to keep the wood above the fireplace (mantel?) from getting so hot? I also think the TV is probably getting too hot on the front. I don't like leaving the heater portion of the fireplace on for very long at all. Even with the heat potion turned off it seems to get pretty warm. I'm sure there's also been alot of discussion on how not to "fool" the furnace thermostat. Thanks for any suggestions.

rubble express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 02:18 PM   #2
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Not sure what you mean by "so hot". Yes, this has been discussed before and if you are concerned about the mantle getting too hot lower the thermostat on the fireplace so that it cycles. As far as the wood catching fire, best I remember the auto ignition temperature of wood is some where around 250C, converted to F that should be near 500 degrees. The wood will start to turn dark before it auto ignites. If these conditions exist I would have the dealer check out the fireplace, otherwise, I don't think the wood will catch on fire. Mine is no where near this hot.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 02:58 PM   #3
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Do you know if the fireplace fan is working? If not the heat could be rising.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 04:03 PM   #4
rlrich
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5319
I had that problem. The "wood grain tape" on the face just above the wood shelf (mantle) began to ripple (melt) from the heat. The mantle didn't quite fit tight to the face leaving a small crack through which the heat was rising. The mantle itself was also quite hot to the touch although not hot enough to ignite. I simply taped a piece of aluminum foil on the bottom of the mantle and covering the crack. Mantle barely gets warm now. Very quick and simple fix for me.
rlrich is offline   Reply With Quote