Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2006, 11:00 AM   #1
Montana_5701
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5701
Wheel Bearings / AC's / Washer Dryer

I hope this is permissable but I will try to post a couple of items in this topic..

Time is finally drawing near for me to return home and pick up the 3400 and honestly the time will not pass fast enough.

1. Wheel bearings.. Do the tires have to be removed to properly grease the wheel bearings or have alemites for greasing? I know I had a FW Wilderness and I had to remove the tire and do it myself.

2. Are some of the members finding out that the one AC is enough or is it just talking longer to cool the unit. I live in Arkansas and we have seasonal tempratures in that it does get hot in summer and cold in winter..

3. Anyone has the washer / dryer ?? I noticed one at the RV dealer where I am making my purchase that they had a combo unit meaning washer and dryer in the same machine. Any thoughts or experiences ?

Montana_5701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 12:52 PM   #2
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mp-ray

1. Wheel bearings.. Do the tires have to be removed to properly grease the wheel bearings or have alemites for greasing? I know I had a FW Wilderness and I had to remove the tire and do it myself.
There are grease fittings, but be very cautious using them, it is easy to push grease through the seal and contaminate the brakes. For myself, I would rather have an annual wheel bearing repack and brake inspection at a reputable service shop. (You need to pull the wheels to check the brakes anyway, so why not just do the bearings at the same time?)

2. Are some of the members finding out that the one AC is enough or is it just talking longer to cool the unit. I live in Arkansas and we have seasonal tempratures in that it does get hot in summer and cold in winter..
We find one adequate, but then we don't live in Arkansas, so I'll leave that for others to answer.
3. Anyone has the washer / dryer ?? I noticed one at the RV dealer where I am making my purchase that they had a combo unit meaning washer and dryer in the same machine. Any thoughts or experiences ?
We have a Splendide Washer/dryer combo, my wife loves it (so much she won't let me touch it). Combo units work best if you get into a routine of doing small loads almost daily at some time convenient to you. We often run a load first thing in the morning while we are getting ready for the day. Others prefer the stacked units that have a bigger capacity, either way so far as I am concered, if it keeps you out of the laundramat when you would rather be doing something better, it is well worth the cost.
These answers are based on our own experiences, a lot will depend on how you use your own unit.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 01:17 PM   #3
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
mp-ray, Check out this web site.

http://www.aitaonline.com/Low%20Clearances.html
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 01:25 PM   #4
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
I agree with OntM0nt. I let Campers World pack my bearings once a year when we go to Florida for the winter. I do once in a while, put a couple of pumps into the zerts when I go for a long trip. But very slowly and never more than two pumps. We also have a Splendid washer/dryer and don't overloading it, it works great. I know you have a lot of humitity in Arkanas as I was born in Hope. Here in Virginia we have a lot of humitity too. I think one A/C will be enough. You can always add another at a later date. We decided that one was enough and added another exhaust vent fan simular to the Fantistic fan that is installed in the kitchen area. That circulates the air adequately in the bedroom.
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 02:11 PM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We got the two on our brand new 3400 because we got a very good deal..however..last week here in Northern Ohio 9 miles inland from lake Erie it can get very hot and very, very humid as it was last week 95+ and soaked in sweat in 5 mins when outside without moving. We tested out the main 15K A/C and it took the camper down to a comfortable temp and kept it there. IMO the single A/C will do the job in Temps as above. Having said that we DO have the 2nd A/C.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 02:24 PM   #6
Montana_5701
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5701
As far as the wheel bearings, the FW Wilderness I and trading in was not packed very well from factory. Since my son is a mechanic I will let him check on the bearings as I also do not believe that the greasserts do not pack as well as being done by hand.

I will purchase the washer/dryer combo when pick up the camper on the 9th.

I have to admit, this forum is fabulous.. Have gotten a lot of great help and info. from the members.

Much thanks to all..
Montana_5701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 02:42 PM   #7
JohnAprilandMeagan
Established Member

M.O.C. #5303
We have had our coach for 3 months now and it stays at Lake Guntersville in Northeat Alabama. The coach has worked to perfection, however, I do seriously regret not getting the second AC. Memorial weekend temps in low 90's and eventually the one unit will catch up but took all day to cool down upon arrival. Also, as many others have stated in previous chains on the subject for one to keep it cool (defined by me as around 72 degrees during the day) it runs all the time and I mean all day. Obviously this is a personal choice you will have to make. But boy do I wish I had opted for second one from factory given that I am paying a dealer to come out to the coach this week and add the second one at about twice the price I could have got it originally from the factory, not to mention mine wasn't wired since wiring only wasn't an option and now I have to deal with that issue as well.
JohnAprilandMeagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 02:57 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
The wheel bearings should be removed and packed occasionally, as noted above. If you plan to use the grease zerk, be sure not to shoot in more than two pumps of the grease gun and then no more than once per year. Otherwise you may push out the seal and get grease on the brakes.

Two AC's. That depends on the size of your rig, which AC unit you have (15k or 13k), and how hot and humid it gets for how much of the day. We have one 15k AC unit. When temps are in the mid-90's and above it struggles. Yesterday was 94 and direct sun on our rig and the highest it got in here was 80. We like it cooler but it will do for no more than we are in this kind of heat.

Some like the combo washer/dryer. Others prefer the separate stack. Ours is the separate stack, which we prefer, but if ours would only take a combo then that's what we'd have. The stack does multiple loads more quickly than the combo. The combo washes, then dries, so you have more time between loads if you want to go out for awhile. Either will do the job for you.

You can post as many topics in a thread as you are comfortable with. You did this the right way -- you started a new thread. That gets more attention for your questions.

I hope the time passes quickly so you can enjoy that 3400!
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 04:32 PM   #9
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
We live in AR also. We have a washer/drier and the other half will not part with it. We will be getting a 2nd A/C since the single has to work all day to keep it down to 80 on a 90+ day [this was in N. AR this last week]. We also found that we may have a circuit breaker problem with the hot water heater, it uses the other half of the dual switch CB. The A.C side apparently heats up enough to cause the waterheater side to trip when the heater is on and the A/C has been running all day.

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 02:35 AM   #10
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
I think a second A/C would be a good idea, given your location...This week we are just north of you, in Joplin, MO, 90 degrees in the PM, and no good shade at our spot. The A/C has been working hard all during the heat of the day. Our rig is a 3655FL, and probably slightly more interior space for the A/C to cool than the 3400. The one A/C has done an adequate job....but at a cost of A/C blower noise all during the day and early evening. Also, that constant work cannot be good for the motors, etc. Similar experience last year in Florida in July (launch of the Space Shuttle).....A/C had to work all day, every day. I wish I had the second A/C, and am thinking of doing an "add on" for those reasons.
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 06:39 PM   #11
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
We have a 3400RL and put in a second A/C from Carrier - low profile, 15k btu. We think it is an absolute necessity, because the vents from the main A/C don't give us enough cool air in the bedroom, where we are sleeping.

In Havasu, in 117 degree heat, we were using the bed covers - perfect!
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 03:12 AM   #12
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
The higher end coaches with the AC/heat pimp type combo, do they cool the rigs better? I noticed this week while getting price on slide toppers I looked at the K/Z Escalde and Montego Bay both stated they had ac/heat pumps and was in belly of the rig. Looked in bedroom had no wiring for second AC just wondering if those type units did better than the roof mounted vented AC's.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote