Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2006, 12:29 PM   #21
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Glad to hear them step up on your stress fracture. Yours should have the updated 10" frames instead of the 8" that gave so many problems. But as many stated before it is a stress fracture.

Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 02:06 PM   #22
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
The only problem with the 8" frame was on a very few units in the spring hanger area. keystone attempted to notify everyone with an 8" frame and arranged installation of the kit to beef up the area free of charge and extended the warranty whether they had the problem or not. There are at least a few MOC members that have had this kit installed and we've encountered no ill effects.
Searchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 04:16 AM   #23
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Here is an update on our problem. I took the "Big Guy" into the dealers on Tuesday. Thanks to a note from Steve Reigle, I checked for separation of the molding when I had the unit attached to the truck. Sure enough it moved about 3/16" when we took the weight off of the truck. The dealer says there probably is frame damage. They called Keystone and Keystone authorized 12 hours for the repair (Thanks Keystone). Problem is that the dealer can not do the repair until the first week of June. I am going to pick the Big Guy up tomorrow so I can have it for the rally. Have any of you that have had frame work done know if the damage was considered hazardous for towing? The dealer has not done the inspection yet, he wanted to keep the Montana and do the inspection and repair all at the same time. I want to attend the rally, but also do not want to have any problems while towing. What do you all think?
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 06:42 AM   #24
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
Doug, I believe HamRad and Steve R. both towed for some time before discovering the problem so hopefully they will be in here soon with an answer. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help, including lodging. The rally wouldn't be the same without you two in the area!

Is the rig at the SR dealer or Redding?
Old 05-12-2006, 08:16 AM   #25
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Thanks for the offer Don. I have it at the Petaluma dealer.
Old 05-14-2006, 05:51 PM   #26
louiebobo
Established Member

M.O.C. #2920
Interesting!!!! Just got a call from my dealer. He states Keystone will not pay to have mine fixed and they don't have a kit to repair the crack. Mine is on the bottom left side of the bedroon slide. It's a 2002 3575RL

Guess I need to get with Keystone and find out what's going on. Hope it's my dealer, who worte me off the day I pulled out of the lot and not Keystone.
louiebobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 04:11 PM   #27
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Doug, we towed ours for over a year before reading about the problem on this forum and realizing this was not a good thing. I cannot say for sure yours will be ok but ours did not get any worse. How far are you from Lake Siskiyou?

Louiebobo, I suggest you call Keystone direct. (574) 535.2100 or (866) 425.4369 (Toll Free). Ask for customer service.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 01:28 PM   #28
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Well here is a update of the problem I am having with my 3670. The dealer I took it to says that the frame has several welds broken and that the frames structural steel has fatigued and it has cracked. He tells me that they are not capable of repairing it and that it should be taken to the factory. I don't mind a few hundred miles but taking it 1500-2000 miles may make me uncomfortable. I emailed Dale for suggestions. I understand that Lippert has a mobile repair located in Sacramento that they dispatch to the site to do repairs. I will be placing a call to Keystone in the AM to talk with them about what choices I have. I'll keep you all posted with the results.
Old 06-06-2006, 03:11 PM   #29
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
Good luck Doug.
Sweetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 03:48 PM   #30
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
Wow, this sounds like a more serious problem than we've heard about in the past. Hope Keystone steps up to the plate on this for you Doug.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:57 AM   #31
rlwhit
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3189
That sure is not good news. Look at it this way, you may enjoy the trip to Goshen. Take care.
rlwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 04:19 AM   #32
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
Doug, do you think the extra weight from the pack trains and elk may have contributed?

Seriously, the cracks you showed us at Lake Siskiyou indicated something very wrong with the frame structure. Hope you are able to get it repaired without the long trip to the factory. I will be watching my bedroom slide crack much closer for any indication of similar problems. Keystone needs to fix your problem and work on eliminating the weak points on all newer models.
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 05:03 AM   #33
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I just spoke to customer service at Keystone, again a pleasant experience. They are going to contact the factory at Pendleton, Oregon to see when they can take the Montana in for repairs. But first they have to get authorization from the service manager to do the repairs.
I think it would be better to take it to the factory for the repairs rather than have the mobile unit come out because the factory can do the repairs and also fix the fiberglass all while it is there.
Old 06-07-2006, 05:51 PM   #34
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
After discovering our broken frame, we probably towed it more than 2,500 miles. Not our idea, but no one would look at it or could fix it, so had to take it to the factory. The problem was that at the end of each day towing, there would always be one, two or three additional items that were broken or had come apart. We ended up at the factory with 48 items to be fixed beside the frame. /when at the factory, ask about how long they will extend the warranty on their repairs (should be 90 days) and GET IT IN WRITING. Also check the workmanship and don't accept it if isn't right.
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 09:02 PM   #35
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Doug,
Sorry to hear you're having trouble getting your rig fixed. Hopefully they'll be able to get it fixed soon. Pendleton would be much closer than Goshen.

We're watching ours very closely since the fix and so far all seems fine.

Keep us informed.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote