Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2006, 07:41 AM   #21
dannyl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4190
Seems like we all have Black Tank problems.

My RV had only been out three weekends when my black tank failed to drain. I filled the tank with a hose and still had no drain. Took it back to the dealer and he flushed and cleaned the tank. He said there was nothing wrong with the valve. $120.00 down the drain. I had them install the black tank flush system (no-fuss flush)$110.00 down the drain.

Since we had a cold spell while the RV was at the dealership, I called and asked them to winterize it. 2 gallons of anti-freeze and $60.00 labor.

Now my RV is parked waiting for warmer weather.

dannyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 01:26 AM   #22
G McCall
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5206
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dannyl

Seems like we all have Black Tank problems.

My RV had only been out three weekends when my black tank failed to drain. I filled the tank with a hose and still had no drain. Took it back to the dealer and he flushed and cleaned the tank. He said there was nothing wrong with the valve. $120.00 down the drain. I had them install the black tank flush system (no-fuss flush)$110.00 down the drain.

Since we had a cold spell while the RV was at the dealership, I called and asked them to winterize it. 2 gallons of anti-freeze and $60.00 labor.

Now my RV is parked waiting for warmer weather.

cheer up Dannyl.......not all is "down the drain"
before the $120 your drain did not work.

Of course a thought comes to mind now about a previous post saying the plug from the original hole in the tank for the Drain Valve may still be in the tank. I can see paying $120 for them to inadvertainly dislodge the plug and say all is well. Next trip out ...may do it again.
I will ask them to check for the plug.
G McCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 10:45 AM   #23
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Greg,
Nine times out of ten the reason for a Black tank blockage is simply because not enough water is being used. After draining and flushing the tank I then put in about 5 gallons of water. The holding tanks are long and relatively thin. This means the solids in the black tank might dry out and be much harder to drain out. I've heard horror stories about this process. And whatever you do do NOT leave the black tank drain valve open. You always want it closed. This will allow for more water to be in the tank and thus more likely to liquefy the solids.

I sure hope there is not a solid plastic plug in your tank. Good luck.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 01:06 PM   #24
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We do have the advantage of having a dump station here at home so we can really flush out the black tanks.However as HamRad does we have ALWAYS kept a few gallons of water IN the black tank when the camper is not in use. Keeps things from drying out and clogging up.Know everyone can't do that but the drying out and not getting a really good flush is a BIG problem. As I stated once before you can not believe how much stuff is still in the tank AFTER you think you have done a really good flush. I kid you not when I say that after a WEEKEND camping trip it can take me 1/2 hour of flushing and back flushing and wands down the toilet before I can get clean water out of the black tank...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 12:34 PM   #25
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by G McCall

Just discovered that my black tank is not draining properly.
We spent a night in the trailer and I know we used the toliet, paper and all.

Went to drain the black in a visible area and nothing but water comes out and not all of that. This is the only 2nd night we have spent in the trailer and I notice the guage was reading 1/3 after I drained the first time and now 2/3rds full.

I filled the black tank to full and flushed and even closed the grey water valves and tried back flushing the black tank. I could not get water to go into the black tank fast which may indicate the valve is not opening properly. No success.
We picked the trailer up new from the dealer weekendend before last, but this is my 4th RV and I am somewhat familar with RVs.

Anyone have this problem ?

Since the trailer is new, I probably will take this problem into the dealer since the trailer is new..
G McCall, I've gone back to read your original post three times. It strikes me that since "this is only the 2nd night we have spent in the trailer..." that we are talking about dumping the black tank after one night and possibly one full day. I would sure think it not that unusual to get only a little water out of the tank under those circumstances simply because there's probably not enough water in the tank to whisk the solids and paper out the dump valve.

You might try holding the toilet in flush mode for several minutes or pour ten gallons of water down the toilet, then go open the valve and see what happens. It's normally recommended to not dump the black tank until it is at least half full. We used to dump after a two-night weekend but we put lots of water down the toilet during normal flushes in that situation. And sometimes even ran more water into the tank before dumping it.

Good luck. Let us know how this turns out.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 10:47 AM   #26
drifus
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4711
Send a message via Yahoo to drifus
Ditto on what Steve said. Here is my process and always have only one light on when finished.

1) Use tank until 4 lights read. (Once I hit 3 I monitor more closely)
2) Pull "proper handle" with clear elbow to view. I say this due to the labeling issues mentioned.
3) Close valve.
4) Use with the installed Quickie Flush or use the toilet. Fill until 4 lights are on again
5) Open Valve to drain
6) Close valve
7) Use chemical of choice, I like the blue stuff. For measuring I use the toilet and cover the
drain flap.
8) Fill toilet to rim and flush.
9) Use till full again.

Now before everyone comments, this is my procedure and it works for us. When finished I have always had one light let.

Spring Upgrade and if Keystone is listening!

I am going to install the same tank panel in my basement so I can read the lights while flushing from outside.

drifus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 02:09 AM   #27
G McCall
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5206
I'm back with an update, hm..... I see I need to clarify a few facts in regards to my "flush" here

I filled the tank to the top with water and flushed several times by bringing the water hose in side the trailer to the toliet. Trailer is at home. I even opened valves and tried back flushing by closing grey water valve and forcing water back into the tank from the outside. There should have been very little paper etc. in the tank unless this new trailer had been used at the dealer.....makes me wonder

The fix (I Hope) Took the trailer in for service.
DEALER reported that the Black Water Valve Cable was bent (said it happens) and that warranty will take care of it.
Thanks for the replies and advice. This is my 4th trailer but it seems they all can have different problems.

G McCall is offline   Reply With Quote