Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2019, 06:17 PM   #1
Ahdmeyer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24181
inverter

hello, My 3931fb is currently being made and should get in the middle of august. does anyone know about the inverter? Is it just an invertor or does it also charge the batteries when on shore power? am i correct in that it is a magnum csw 1012 inverter? I dont see anything about a charger appreciate any info i can get, trying to learn as much as i can about the 5th wheel as I can before i get it
thanks al

Ahdmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 09:05 PM   #2
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
Just powers the residential refer.
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 09:24 PM   #3
gjennings
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22840
The inverter is a 1000 Watt Magnum, it doesn’t charge the batteries as the converter does that. For me that inverter is only installed to power the residential fridge. If you want it to do more you’ll need to upgrade to a bigger inverter.
Not full timers yet but soon
gjennings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 08:28 AM   #4
Ahdmeyer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24181
are the batteries being charged on shore power or only when you are hooked up to the truck?
thx al
Ahdmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 08:57 AM   #5
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahdmeyer View Post
are the batteries being charged on shore power or only when you are hooked up to the truck?
thx al
If you have a CONVERTER it will charge the batteries and power your 12volt system while on shore power.

Your truck will usually have a charging wire on the 7 prong trailer hookup. However it should be noted that it takes quite a while for your truck to charge your camper batteries thru that plug.

To be clear:
A CONVERTER changes 110volts AC to 12 volts DC.
A INVERTER changes 12volt DC from your batteries to 110volts.

In most cases, the primary use for an Inverter is to power a residential fridge while on the road or dry camping for those who boondock. Word of caution however that the batteries will not last very long running the fridge without a charging source. If your going to dry camp (boondock) as in camping without shore power, I encourage you to seek the advice of those who do that on a regular basis. For sure your going to want a dual fuel 12v/gas fridge if you plan on camping a lot in areas with no shore power or even frequently at 30amp campsites. Residential fridges are great for full timers (like us) who camp for extended timeframes in parks with full 50amp service but not so much for weekenders who camp in the wilderness.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 02:24 PM   #6
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
I would suspect that your trailer will have both a converter and an inverter.
You will need something to recharge the batteries and power your 12 volt system, so I can't imagine there not being a converter installed from the factory.