Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-13-2006, 10:44 AM   #1
JimCin
Established Member

M.O.C. #1755
Big Time DVD Problems

We have a 2005 3400RL. The home theatre system has been used very little. The DVD only plays older DVD's and will not play any newer rented discs. Very frustrating. The quest Model 2000 is very prone to problems. Keystone has said we're just beyond the warranty so "Take a hike". What to do???

JimCin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 10:58 AM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Many folks including myself either are replacing or have replaced the Quest unit. If you do a search on the quest topic you will find alot of info on what folks have done. This is one area Keystone is really lacking in quality when it comes to the options of dvd/surround sound systems they could have used.

Here also is a name and phone number from another post about this very same Quest problem you are having.

Keystone did the following to another member:
"They transfered me to a John Mochamen of The Odyssey Group. He has been most helpful. You can reach him at 574-848-2294 or johnm@odygroup.net"
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 08:19 PM   #3
Montana_1424
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1424
ripped out the quest system myself and Installed a Sony system, It works great, I have pictures too of the modifications for the larger speakers. I was also able to contact Keystone directly about the problem, as my quest unit was replaced TWICE, and they let me mail it back to them, and sent me a check for $200 towards the purchase if the Sony, which was $300, well worth the $100 difference I had to pay.
Montana_1424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 03:51 AM   #4
JimCin
Established Member

M.O.C. #1755
Thanks for the responses. I have spent 3 weeks getting the runaround from both Craig Couch at so called Team Montana who has been helpful enough to simply tell me that the unit is just beyond the one year warranty...and also John Mochamer at Quest/Odyssey who asked me to call his service dept. I called them. They suggested reprogramming the default settings. I did. Didn't work.
I would buy another unit if I knew what would be comatible with the speakers. Not too anxious to get non compatibe skeakers and figure out installation. Has anyone used another system with same Quest speakers?? Thanks again!
Old 01-14-2006, 05:41 AM   #5
FireTruckerWife
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1629
We got a Toshiba system, and used the Quest speakers and have surround sound. We don't have a switch to switch the sound to the bedroom speakers, but don't miss that feature. I'll see if I can find the model number and post again.
FireTruckerWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 06:44 AM   #6
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We replaced our unit with a Sony. Only speaker replaced was the sub-woofer. We plan to replace the speakers in the back also but the three little speakers above the TV seem to work fine. We did have to splice the wires as Sony has different connection. Only took about an hour to do and was easy as long as you mark the wires.
Happy trails..............................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 07:15 AM   #7
JimCin
Established Member

M.O.C. #1755
My wife isn't real fussy about doing without the bedroom speakers,and all the alternatives I have checked out only have the 5 speakers plus sub-woof outlet. I am going to try Quest again to see what it would cost to go to a QR 3000 models with exchange of this QR 2000. Does anyone out there have experience with the QR 3000? or would I be best to keep on looking??
Old 01-15-2006, 10:30 AM   #8
Montana_1424
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1424
The Sony system I installed, it was very easy to change the quest speakes out. I used the same wiring, as i was not going to get that crazy and run new. The rear speakers are the easist. You will need to buy 2 universal speaker mounts, whihc can screw right to the ceiling, where the existing quest ones are, and they cost about $30 a piece. As far as the 3 in the front, so simple, take the tv out, and you will see that the parts around the speakers are just screwed in, remove the screws and everything comes right out. Use a jig saw to make the openings larger, if you take your time, you will never know, and screw it all back together with the new speakers. As far as the speakers in the bedroom, I already had an on off switch in the bedroom, so I juts hooked the speakers in the bedroom up with the front channel speakers in the living room, the switch control weather they are on or off. If you dont have a switch, a couple of bucks at radio shack, and it installs right inline, very simple. I have pictures of what I did when I did mine, if you guys are interested let me know and I will send them to whoever wants to take a peak. I think I also made instructions in MS word format for someone else, and I may still have the file.
Montana_1424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 01:56 PM   #9
BigAl52
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4977
Just for some more info here I read about this a while back and started looking around for these units after I read about the stereo being bad. We just bought an 06 2980 and have not picked it up yet so I don't know what unit I do have. But Target sells a Panasonic unit for 245.00 that looks pretty nice and has a 5 disc unit in it. Al
BigAl52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 03:50 AM   #10
JimCin
Established Member

M.O.C. #1755
Just talked to Quest. They have agreed to send another unit if I pay for shipping on getting the faulty system to them. Finally making some headway. Hope this works. Will Keep you posted. Thanks all!!
Old 01-17-2006, 04:08 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by JimCin

Thanks for the responses. I have spent 3 weeks getting the runaround from both Craig Couch at so called Team Montana who has been helpful enough to simply tell me that the unit is just beyond the one year warranty...and also John Mochamer at Quest/Odyssey who asked me to call his service dept. I called them. They suggested reprogramming the default settings. I did. Didn't work.
I would buy another unit if I knew what would be comatible with the speakers. Not too anxious to get non compatibe skeakers and figure out installation. Has anyone used another system with same Quest speakers?? Thanks again!
Would this Craig person at team Montana be the same guy that was so helpful to rickfox with his problem???
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 04:11 AM   #12
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
JimCin,
That is great news! Keep us posted on how the new Quest 3000 works. I have had mine replaced twice now and going to have it replaced again in April when the coach comes out of the garage. If this new one does not fix the problems I am going to go with another brand.

Rich,
I have seen a few different posts now with Craig's name on it, they have not been very positive to this point. Not sure if he is the gentleman who replaced Jeff or not, but hope his image will improve in time.
Old 01-19-2006, 11:04 AM   #13
Montana_5161
Established Member

M.O.C. #5161
John Moca has been very helpful and professional with us. We have the QR1000 system and he is replacing it free of charge with the QR3000. It has been shipped and we should receive it tomorrow. We did have to pay the shipping for returning the defective unit.

He tells me that he handles complaints on a case by case basis and will do his best to satisfy unhappy owners. His phone number is 574-848-2294 and his email address is johnm@odygroup.net. I've been very happy with his cooperation and timeliness.

Gordon
Montana_5161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 12:08 PM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Montana Sky

JimCin,
That is great news! Keep us posted on how the new Quest 3000 works. I have had mine replaced twice now and going to have it replaced again in April when the coach comes out of the garage. If this new one does not fix the problems I am going to go with another brand.

Rich,
I have seen a few different posts now with Craig's name on it, they have not been very positive to this point. Not sure if he is the gentleman who replaced Jeff or not, but hope his image will improve in time.
No..No this guy is somewhere in customer service. Actually no ONE person replaced Jeff Rank. Two people did. I had posted their names after we got them at the Cleveland RV show. One was from the montana division and the other from Mountaineer.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 12:56 PM   #15
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Thanks Rich,
I know there is two sides to every story, but poor Craig does not seem to have a good rep with the MOC members. Hopefully it is more of a misunderstanding than Keystone not keeping up with the service level they have become known for.

I am heading to the rv show tonight, I wonder who from Keystone will be here??? I am thinking it is going to be Charles Wade, guess I need to get over there and find out. =)
Old 01-19-2006, 02:13 PM   #16
2007dura
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2313
I took my rig in before warranty ran out a few weeks ago, and they replaced my Quest 2000 with a 3000. Rear speakers still didn't work, so dealer replaced them with new RCA's. Haven't tried a movie out yet, but they at least worked at dealer, which is more than they did before.
2007dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 04:23 PM   #17
Montana_5161
Established Member

M.O.C. #5161
Received our QR3000 Friday, installed it today and it works in all modes. Hope it will continue to do so. I suggest those that are having trouble to call or email John Mochamer at The Odyssey Group. So far I am more than pleased with his cooperation. email: johnm@odygroup.net, phone: 574-848-2294.

Gordon
Montana_5161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 12:38 PM   #18
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
Good Evening Rich,

Yes he is the same guy. To his credit, he did call me last week and requested that I send some photos of my rig - which I did today. He told me that Montana engineering was going to look into my problem.

In the mean time, I have received my Glide Ride pin box. It does indeed look to be a superior product to both the Lippert original equipment pin box, and the Mor/ryde units I have seen - pretty welds, pretty black powder coating, and thicker metal.

I will be installing it this weekend and will report back on the results. If it works as good as it looks, I will be a happy guy - all things considered.
rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 03:54 AM   #19
JimCin
Established Member

M.O.C. #1755
Thanks to John Mochamer at Quest we are back in business with our DVD Home Theatre. He sent us a new 3000 and so far it works great!! Thanks to all at MOC for the input. Very worthwhile site!!!