Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2017, 11:22 AM   #1
jetenbu
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11565
Fan and 1 electrical plug in went out.

I have a 2012 Montana 3625RE. Recently my fan in the living room area and the electrical plug in the small counter beside the frig just lost power. They happened at the same time. I can not find, if I even ever had, a wiring schematic for my trailer.

I took the electrical plug in out and noticed it had 2 sets of romex connected to it, both coming from the ceiling above. I figure one of them went to the fan because it quit working at the same time the electrical plug quit.

I put a test meter on both pieces of romex and no electric at all on either. I did a continuity test and all seems okay. I then went to the breaker panel and found there was a 15/20amp dual breaker that was dead on the 15amp side. I replaced the breaker and thought surely this would fix it. No such luck. Still no electricity on either piece of romex at the electrical plug.

I checked all the GFCI plugs and all the other plugs in the trailer and can find no problems. I even checked the plug in for the microwave. All the plugs seem to work just fine except this one and the ceiling fan.

If anyone has a wiring schematic that can give me a hint of where these 2 pieces of romex go from this electrical plug, maybe, just maybe I can find out what is going on.

What really throws me is why there are 2 pieces of romex coming down from the ceiling to this electrical plug. The only 120v I know that I have in the ceiling is the ceiling fan and the A/C unit. Surely this plug in and the ceiling fan are not fed from the same circuit as the A/C unit. Besides the A/C unit is working fine and is working right now with no problems.

I am getting desperate, this thing has been out for a few weeks now and I do not have much faith the local RV Techs can do anything I have not done without a schematic.

Thanks for any help in advance, Jim

jetenbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 11:46 AM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
As far as I know, no one has ever been successful in getting a schematic or wiring diagram. Service manager where I bought mine years ago could not get one to troubleshoot a problem. Don't be surprised at how anything is wired. Long story, but my refrigerator was initially wired to my ceiling fan switch. Ceiling fan on, fridge worked. Ceiling fan off, fridge would not work. Took them a while to figure that one out.

After replacing the breaker, did both poles have power? What about an outside GFCI outlet?
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 02:57 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Can't tell you for sure about a 2005, but on our 2010 the main wiring harness came right down the middle of the ceiling. Also, have you checked all your GFI's? In our 2010 we had one in the kitchen, one in the bath and one in the basement.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 10:56 AM   #4
jetenbu
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11565
Unhappy Fan and 1 electrical plug in went out.

Checked all the GFCI's, all working fine. Both the 15/20amp breaker sides have power (120v).

I am still confused. Guess I will have to have an RV Tech come out and take a look. It will cost me but I have to do something.

Jim
Old 06-27-2017, 10:57 AM   #5
jetenbu
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11565
Both poles had power (120v).
Old 06-27-2017, 11:51 AM   #6
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetenbu View Post
Checked all the GFCI's, all working fine. Both the 15/20amp breaker sides have power (120v).

I am still confused. Guess I will have to have an RV Tech come out and take a look. It will cost me but I have to do something.

Jim
Remove the outlet and wire nut the wires together (corresponding colors of course) the outlet may have failed.

Mark
Old 06-27-2017, 02:54 PM   #7
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
It could be the next outlet back toward the breaker has the hot leg broken or disconnected. This may have been what caused the breaker to trip. Turn off the breaker that you found tripped and look for all the outlets that are without power. Then, remove the closest one and check the connections behind it. You may have to check several until you find the one with the problem. Be sure you check for power at the connections at each outlet prior to touching them, just in case the outlet itself is bad and you still have power at the wires. It might even be better that you turn off the main if you are not comfortable working on this.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 10:50 AM   #8
jetenbu
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11565
Already done that

I already checked all the outlets in the trailer. I also already connected the wires together, still nothing. I am really at a loss. Calling technician soon.
Old 07-19-2017, 01:59 PM   #9
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
The wiring harness does go down the ceiling of most models. If the outlet is in a slide our 3665 RE had a juction box on the under side of two of the slides and wires could come loose there.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote