Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-30-2020, 11:14 AM   #1
DemLin
Established Member

M.O.C. #13345
Winterizing

I placed the container of anti-freeze in "control" box, under the "winterize" connection. The pump came on but wouldn't suck up any of the liquid. When I raised the container above the height of the connection it worked just fine. What the heck is going on?? Any ideas would be appreciated. FYI, my unit is a 2015 FL3750.

DemLin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 11:21 AM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Some of us use 2 rubber washers at the connection with success ... others hoist the jug higher as you did.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 11:29 AM   #3
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Same here. I made a longer hose so I can raise the jug above the connection on the camper. I can set the jug on the door of the wet bay area as it lifts up. I place it right next to the wall of the camper and it works just fine then.

OK, it took me 2 winters to finally fine tune this process, but I have no problems now. Knowing it works this way, then you just have to develop a "work around".

I have heard if you remove that spring thing in the connection on the camper and use a smaller hose, you can leave the jug on the ground. But I've got no beef just setting the jug on the bay door now in the upright position. Works for me.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 01:54 PM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
You must have a very good seal on the hose connector. Least air leak and the pump will have a hard time pulling the antifreeze. The two washers have solved the problem for some. But on mine I had to actually sand the one washer thinner as my hose fitting would not pull down tight without slipping a thread.

Others have reversed the screen washer to hold the check valve open to solve the problem of overcoming that resistance.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 04:08 PM   #5
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
You must have a very good seal on the hose connector. Least air leak and the pump will have a hard time pulling the antifreeze. ...
I originally had a similar problem, not only with air leaking on the Winterizing port but also on the fill port AND the black tank washer port. Those plastic threads were awful. My solution (as suggested by my dealer repair shop) was to use those garden hose adapters (metal ones). I have one metal elbow for the fresh water inlet. I attached a permanent garden hose to the black tank, and one with a cut-off valve for the winterizing port. Problem solved:

This way, when I connect the garden hoses to everything, it's actually metal against metal and the washers seal. Now granted, I had to work with those garden hose valves and elbows for a good seal on those plastic connections, but once I got it, I've never had problems again.

DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote