Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2005, 05:30 PM   #1
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
New Cabinets and End Table - Mountaineer

We recently changed from the "dining booth" to a dinette that has oak folding chairs. When extended the table will seat five, so we have five chairs. The problem is what to do with chairs during transport and when you only need two.

I decided to build two oak cabinets to match the existing cabinetry that would store the chairs. These are built into the slide at each end.

We also had a cabinet that we moved from the end of the coach to fit between the recliner and the sofa. This table was not the right size and didn't look as good as the new cabinets. We decided that a custom oak end table was the solution.

Here is a link to pictures of the New Cabinets and End Table.

http://www.geocities.com/fulltimedre.../new_cabs.html

I've got to quit working on this thing and start camping in it. Maybe we can slip away in the next week or so.

fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 07:16 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Fulltimedreamer,

You are really doing some nice things to your rig. Always a pleasure to see your good ideas.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 07:53 AM   #3
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
very nice. looks like a few hours were put into that one.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 09:12 AM   #4
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Lamar, I continue to stand in awe of what you are doing with your Mountaineer! These improvements look very nice.

I am curious, however. How much weight do you think you have added to your unit with your upgrades?
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 09:53 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Very nice! Looks really good. Thanks for posting the pictures.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 11:03 AM   #6
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Better be careful, or Montana will be calling you and offering you a job of designing new units!

Nice stuff! Congrats and a job well done!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 02:52 PM   #7
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
Beautiful! Nicely Done.
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 02:57 PM   #8
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Thanks for sharing your ideas with us. Nice job!
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 03:47 PM   #9
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
As far as weight is concerned I don't think I have added very much. We removed the "dining booth", one of the recliners and the built-in end table. The new cabinets were constructed of 1 x 2 oak framing and 1/4" plywood with an oak veneer. The back and one side of the cabinets are the existing walls as is common in RV construction. The new dinette table and folding oak chairs are very light weight. One of the larger weight additions was the Washer/Dryer which weighs about 150 lbs. I removed a 45 lb TV from the entertainment area and replaced with an 8 lb. flat panel LCD. We're going to do the same with the bedroom TV as well when we find a LCD at the right price point.

The laminate flooring added some weight but the carpet and linoleum were removed which offsets this somewhat. Carrying the carpet and linoleum out of the coach I found that it was heavier than you might think. I used about four and half boxes of laminate flooring. There is some waste so I figure I netted mayge 40 lbs of extra weight.

Altogether, I don't think I've added more than 250 lbs. The booth, recliner and TV were all heavy items so when these are subtracted I don't think the net result is too bad. Sometime I need to put the coach on a scale to see what the actual weight is. As we're preparing to go fulltime in this coach, we're trying to evaluate everything we put on board as there is a limited CCC budget.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 04:10 PM   #10
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Sounds like you have the best of all worlds—special upgrades with a minimum of weight. You are correct about the weight of carpet. We had some pulled up in our living room and hall last summer to have hardwood floors installed. Carpet weight IS deceptive!

It sounds like you ought to have a good unit in which to fulltime!
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 04:38 AM   #11
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Thanks for sharing your handiwork. The improvements are great and you do a beautiful job. I agree with Carol - if Keystone monitors this site, they might think about "adopting" some of those good ideas. Happy travels.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote