Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2021, 04:27 PM   #1
Moondragon
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25935
Smoke detector hidden

On my 2020 MHC 331RL, I keep getting a smoke alarm going off in the living room. Not the one over by the bathroom ceiling. It seems to be coming from the ceiling tray that holds the lights above the island. There is no detector mounted on the living room/kitchen ceiling, and I can find nothing in the ceiling tray. There are no appliances turned on to create any smoke. It's a nice day, so heat is not running, so it shouldn't be the CO. Has anyone else had this happen? Where else can I look? The cats don't seem to mind walking around, so it shouldn't be a propane issue.

2014 RAM 2500HD SLT LB 4x4 6.4L SRW
Moondragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 06:06 PM   #2
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I won't be able to help you, but your situation reminds me of a prank I pulled in my office several years ago.

I acquired this little round device, about the size of a quarter, that made a random computer "beep" type sound. It only beeped once and the time between beeps was never the same.

The office I worked in had about 100 cubicles in that wing of the building. I placed the device in an an inconspicuous location, hidden. After about a week, it was the buzz off the office, where was that beep coming from?

Well, when the attention increased, I moved it to a different location. As folks began to zero in, I'd move it again. This went on for about a month, and then I removed it completely. They never did find it! I had my moment in the sun! I still laugh thinking about it.

Sounds like your CO detector might be going bad. Check it out. Or else your converter (breaker-fuse box), is beeping, telling you your battery is not charged. That's the only two things that come to mind immediately.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 08:17 PM   #3
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Double check the propane detector mounted just above the floor usually in the kitchen. The number/pattern of beeps indicates different issues. One is "End of Life" but your unit is a little too new for that. Another is low 12V to the unit?

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 08:33 PM   #4
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Dealer 'killed' my Co/propane detector with a roll of new awning material they put in the trailer to warm up. Evidently they can only take so many hits. Or febreeze, or pledge kills em quickly too.
Old 12-03-2021, 06:58 AM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
That high pitched beeping sound can be very deceiving. Sometimes it is not coming from where it first appears to be. Move your ear very close to the other known detector devices and listen closely.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 04:17 PM   #6
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
That high pitched beeping sound can be very deceiving. Sometimes it is not coming from where it first appears to be. Move your ear very close to the other known detector devices and listen closely.

I can’t ever find where they are coming from. I can’t tell which end of the camper they are coming from let alone exactly where. I wear hearing aids and that might have something to do with it.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 05:25 PM   #7
Moondragon
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25935
FOUND IT!! I was sitting there watching TV today when it went off again. It's the detector at the base of the kitchen island. The light turned red, it beeped 11 times, then the light turned green again and the beeping stopped. Stove and oven off, heat off at the time. All I can think of is that the cat's litter box is at that end of the island. Does it sense ammonia?
2014 RAM 2500HD SLT LB 4x4 6.4L SRW
Moondragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 05:29 PM   #8
77cruiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26015
I think that's the propane detector.
77cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 05:46 PM   #9
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Definitely the propane detector. Moving the litter box would be my first move.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 09:03 PM   #10
Trout30
Established Member

M.O.C. #28508
Ha!...that is funny about the cat. Could be him or her. It happened to me when we took our first trip. It turned out to be the fridge 'open door' warning. Never had a Resi-Fridge before and took time getting used to how the new Fridge door closed.
2021 Montana Legacy, 3781RL, Cobalt FBP, Cottage Kitchen, CareFree SOK III toppers, Onan 5.5KW Gen, Solar 300W, 2000W Magnum inverter, Goodyear 17.5" G114's, 2-100 amp Battle Born Batteries, Waste Master w/storage box, Frizz Life water filters, Hughes WatchDog.
2015 GMC 3500HD Denali, 4x4, DuraMax, CC, SRW, SB, PullRite Slider, Truck USA Roll top.
Trout30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 02:29 PM   #11
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Likely the litter box. I've heard of dogs setting it off laying by it and off gassing.

We had one go off in the middle of the night once and we could smell gas of some kind. Seemed like the Black tank. At first I thought is was DW and she thought it was me. But it wasn't propane.
After much investigation it turned out to be one of our batteries had shorted out or something and the converter was boiling gasses out of it. That was an older camper with the battery just in a box in the front locker and not vented out side Good thing we got the alarm. No telling what that could have led to.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote