Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HEY KEYSTONE! > What I'd like to say if...
Click Here to Login

Old 12-26-2021, 08:46 AM   #1
ReadyToRetire
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22765
Accessory Hitch

It seems the accessory hitch on our 2021 3763BP is set too far back to use it without an extender with our bike rack (the handlebars hit the back). We are currently looking at ebikes and have learned a great deal about bike racks (not all are rated for 5th wheel use) and extenders (an extender reduces our 300 lb capacity to 150 lbs). It's hard enough finding a rack that will hold our 65 pound bikes (that's without the battery), but now because of the extender, we will be over weight. We are currently looking at options to carry the bikes but with so many getting ebikes now, maybe it's time for Keystone to look at something different for those of us that can't tow a trailer (nor do we want to). Thanks to MOC for this venue to post comments and to Keystone for listening.

ReadyToRetire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 10:28 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Over the years many have found the factory hitch, if they even had one, inadequate and had a better one put on by a welding shop.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 10:45 AM   #3
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
The brochure for the 2021 3763 says the hitch is rated for 2,980lbs. I'm assuming that's towing, not tongue wt.
Maybe double check with Keystone Customer Service. Have your VIN number ready.
I have a 2019, I thought they were supposed to change the hitch to a class 3 for regular towing.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 11:09 AM   #4
ReadyToRetire
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22765
We considered that but are still under warranty
Old 12-26-2021, 11:11 AM   #5
ReadyToRetire
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22765
That's interesting. When we took the factory tour, I thought the front living ones could not tow. We don't have lights so I'm assuming we can't. I will check though. Thanks!
Old 12-26-2021, 11:33 AM   #6
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
First, Keystone (Lippert) now has two hitches available. One is a towing hitch and one is an accessory hitch. Make sure you determine which you purchased. Ours was ordered with the towing hitch. If you go to the brochure, it has the specs.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 11:36 AM   #7
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Readytoretire, we use a Swagman bike carrier, which was recommended by our e-bike manufacturer. For the bike closest to the trailer, we have to loosen the handlebars and turn it sideways. Try and avoid an extension, cause it will lessen your tongue weight by 50% and will afford more play in the entire hitch setup. Our E-bikes are both beach-cruisers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-3625.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	269.7 KB
ID:	10837  
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 08:28 PM   #8
ReadyToRetire
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22765
Quote:
Originally Posted by 432bartman View Post
Readytoretire, we use a Swagman bike carrier, which was recommended by our e-bike manufacturer. For the bike closest to the trailer, we have to loosen the handlebars and turn it sideways. Try and avoid an extension, cause it will lessen your tongue weight by 50% and will afford more play in the entire hitch setup. Our E-bikes are both beach-cruisers.
Thanks. That was one consideration when we were looking. I think we have settled on the Hollywood RV Rider rack as it holds 80 lbs per slot and we are getting Aventon Aventures thay are 65 lbs without the batteries. Plus, it is rated for 5th wheel use. I just wish they would change the hitch so this wouldn't be an issue. We use an extender now, but it's only 1 regular bike. I just learned of the weight issue.
Old 12-26-2021, 08:37 PM   #9
ReadyToRetire
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22765
Quote:
Originally Posted by rames14 View Post
First, Keystone (Lippert) now has two hitches available. One is a towing hitch and one is an accessory hitch. Make sure you determine which you purchased. Ours was ordered with the towing hitch. If you go to the brochure, it has the specs.
Thanks. We only have the accessory hitch, but I believe even the towing hitch can only have 300 tongue weight. That's what I understood from the manual. I took a screenshot but I can't figure out how to add it.
Old 12-27-2021, 06:26 AM   #10
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Your camper is 41 feet long, same as mine. Mine came with a hitch, but I'm pretty sure it's a cargo hitch and not a towing hitch. Mine has a weight capacity and I had a cargo carrier I successfully used (with modifications) on my previous Outback Travel trailer.

Two things come to mind immediately when I read your post and what you are trying to do.

First, even if you are successful finding the right extension and overcome the weight capacity question, on a single shaft hitch and a single shaft cargo carrier, or bicycle carrier, you'll discover the rocking back and forth of the carrier will be just as big of a problem (if not more), than overcoming the weight problem.

The shaft will have slop in it. Unless the carrier shaft is welded into the receiver on the trailer, it will rock side to side. At the actual shaft, it might only be slightly, but magnify that 3 feet (or the height of your bicycle) and the handle bars could be swing back and forth 6 inches or more, rocking, rocking, rocking. This side movement is just as distructive to the welds on the hitch (maybe more), than the g-forces up and down.

I had to do some clever modifications on mine to keep it from rocking on my previous Outback. The carrier won't work at all on my current Montana, because it blocked the rear baggage outside compartment door on the back of the camper. But when I tired, it also has side-to-side slop and I just decided to never use it on my Montana. So basically, that hitch is worthless to me.

Second, because of the length of your trailer, the rear of the trailer has some incredible g-forces (up and down) when traveling, bouncing over expansion joints on bridges, bad road, and quick hills and dips in the road. The rear closet in my Montana actually collapsed on our first Maiden voyage because of the severe up and down movement of the rear, because it overhangs the rear axel so far.

Your hitch "might" be able to withstand all the G-forces (up and down) and rocking (side to side) that WILL happen, but..... can the equipment you carry handle it?

It's just something to think about? I'm not saying, "don't do it", I'm just saying .... think about it?
DutchmenSport is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 06:39 AM   #11
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
And to answer the question, "How do we transport our bicycles now?" Answer: Inside the camper. We even have a tandem (2 seater) bicycle. We transport it inside the camper. Logistically, we figured out a way to do it. (But, we did end up giving our 3 wheeled -tricycle- to my sister. It won't fit through the door).
DutchmenSport is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 07:17 AM   #12
ReadyToRetire
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22765
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
Your camper is 41 feet long, same as mine. Mine came with a hitch, but I'm pretty sure it's a cargo hitch and not a towing hitch. Mine has a weight capacity and I had a cargo carrier I successfully used (with modifications) on my previous Outback Travel trailer.

Two things come to mind immediately when I read your post and what you are trying to do.

First, even if you are successful finding the right extension and overcome the weight capacity question, on a single shaft hitch and a single shaft cargo carrier, or bicycle carrier, you'll discover the rocking back and forth of the carrier will be just as big of a problem (if not more), than overcoming the weight problem.

The shaft will have slop in it. Unless the carrier shaft is welded into the receiver on the trailer, it will rock side to side. At the actual shaft, it might only be slightly, but magnify that 3 feet (or the height of your bicycle) and the handle bars could be swing back and forth 6 inches or more, rocking, rocking, rocking. This side movement is just as distructive to the welds on the hitch (maybe more), than the g-forces up and down.

I had to do some clever modifications on mine to keep it from rocking on my previous Outback. The carrier won't work at all on my current Montana, because it blocked the rear baggage outside compartment door on the back of the camper. But when I tired, it also has side-to-side slop and I just decided to never use it on my Montana. So basically, that hitch is worthless to me.

Second, because of the length of your trailer, the rear of the trailer has some incredible g-forces (up and down) when traveling, bouncing over expansion joints on bridges, bad road, and quick hills and dips in the road. The rear closet in my Montana actually collapsed on our first Maiden voyage because of the severe up and down movement of the rear, because it overhangs the rear axel so far.

Your hitch "might" be able to withstand all the G-forces (up and down) and rocking (side to side) that WILL happen, but..... can the equipment you carry handle it?

It's just something to think about? I'm not saying, "don't do it", I'm just saying .... think about it?
Thanks for your reply. We do just have an accessory hitch. The things you describe are exactly the reason for getting a hitch that is rated for 5th wheel use (i never knew that was a thing). The Hollywood rack has 2 anti sway points to help with that. Plus we are on the list for independent suspension which will help tremendously (at least it should). We haven't gotten the bikes or the rack yet - we are still in ther research phase.
Old 01-02-2022, 01:38 PM   #13
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyToRetire View Post
It seems the accessory hitch on our 2021 3763BP is set too far back to use it without an extender with our bike rack (the handlebars hit the back). We are currently looking at ebikes and have learned a great deal about bike racks (not all are rated for 5th wheel use) and extenders (an extender reduces our 300 lb capacity to 150 lbs). It's hard enough finding a rack that will hold our 65 pound bikes (that's without the battery), but now because of the extender, we will be over weight. We are currently looking at options to carry the bikes but with so many getting ebikes now, maybe it's time for Keystone to look at something different for those of us that can't tow a trailer (nor do we want to). Thanks to MOC for this venue to post comments and to Keystone for listening.
I had the same problem. I was going to solve it with a custom made hitch that fastens to the trailer hitch but at almost 80 getting the 65lb bikes off there is a challenge and reduces turning angle. You could go with a front hitch but I ended up selling expensive bikes at a huge loss and will be buying fold up RAD's next spring that will go in front of folded up back seat in my crew cab.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 01:58 PM   #14
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrvman View Post
I had the same problem. I was going to solve it with a custom made hitch that fastens to the trailer hitch but at almost 80 getting the 65lb bikes off there is a challenge and reduces turning angle. You could go with a front hitch but I ended up selling expensive bikes at a huge loss and will be buying fold up RAD's next spring that will go in front of folded up back seat in my crew cab.
We bought Magnum classic ii low step folding bikes.
https://www.magnumbikes.com/product/magnum-classic-ii-low-step/
48lbs without the battery (7lbs). They fold up and fit in the bed forward of the 5th wheel hitch and under the tonneau cover. I put a couple of Aerobic workout mats in the bed then lay the bikes on top of the mats.
Folded Dimensions: 14″ X 33″ X 33″
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 02:43 PM   #15
kjohn6363
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24081
I have two E-bikes of 65 lbs each.

When I put them on the bike rack I turn the handlebars so they do not touch the camper

I have a Kuat bike rack
kjohn6363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 02:52 PM   #16
Camp CA
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25828
Same issue with my 2020 Montana 41 ft fifth wheel trailer. So installed a 12" extender to attach my bike rack to keep the bike handle bars from impeninging on the trailer.

Most bike rack manfacturers do not warrant their for fifth wheel trailer use due to the risk of failure resulting from cantilever induced bending of the bike rack hitch.

This rack can carry two 66 lb bikes and is approved for fifth wheel trailers: https://www.etrailer.com/RV-and-Camp...ima/Y36FR.html

I have a Swagman XC Hitch Mount Bike rack model 49401, which is designed to carry tow (2) 35 lb bikes (not electric bike), and secured it with a anti-rattle hitch tightener stabilizer. Bikes weigh 31.6 and 38.5 lbs. I load the heavier bike closest to the trailer.
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 05:18 PM   #17
oeeman
Established Member

M.O.C. #14662
Hollywood

Hollywood has an ebike rack rated for use on 5th wheels most aren’t rated for trailers. Suitable for two 80 lb bikes. Highest rating I found for our rad bikes. 2 inch receiver only.
oeeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 04:00 PM   #18
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post

This is so true. I followed someone out of our park last week with a rack with two bicycles on it. The speed limit is 10mph and he was well below that and there are a sting of speed humps that most slow down to about 3mph to go over. As he moved along I could not believe how those bicycles bounced over the humps. Due to the distance from the axel to the rear bumper that rack was like a diving board heaving the bike around. I can only imagine what a bridge transition is like at 65 mph.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 04:47 PM   #19
Jamesb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21011
I hear a few people focus on bike racks that are “ fifth wheel approved”, or RV approved. It’s a good sales pitch, and a good starting point to researching. And I’ve posted before on securing bicycle racks. But cannot stress looking at how the bicycle carrier is made. The tube should be the same size as the receiver, and equivalent steel characteristics. No reduction in size should be used. And all manufacturers of bicycle racks offer different features such as flip down, swivel, collapse when empty, etc. But with every moving feature, comes an additional break in the solid foundation by a tightening bolt or wing nut. And that is where a lot of movement comes from. So, try to stay away from those features. And one of the biggest items to add to your hitch is the “anti-rattle” device for your hitch. If using an extension, you will need more than one. But they are cheap, -/+ $11.00.
So, look at the most robust racks made for bikes, and I bet they do not say “rv approved”. Purchase a solid rack, add and really tighten the anti rattle hitch device, and I promise your bikes will not move. I have one ebike and one regular mountain bike riding on a cheaper rack with the correct weight rating coming straight out of my 2” hitch. I do have to turn one bikes handle bars sideways. But it is 2 1/2 inches from the back of the FW and has yet to touch it. And that’s how confident you need to be. My wife follows a lot with the boat, and says she has never seen it shake, not even on railroad crossings.
And I’m sure the accessories hitch would do the same when secured and tightened down, of course, maintaining weight capacity. Just my 2 cents. Be safe.
Old 01-09-2022, 04:50 PM   #20
Jeff n Susan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25636
We haul 2 bikes, although they are not "e-bikes", we turn the handlebars on the one closest to the camper. The bike rack is a 4-bike hauler from the local sporting goods store. It fits snug into the receiver, but I also put a bolt thru it, instead of a pin, and tighten it tight. I have found that if I keep it tight in the receiver, and minimize the movement, I have no problems. So far, they have crossed from the Atlantic to the Rockies twice with no issues whatsoever.
I believe the hitches are rated to 300# tongue weight, so the 2 bikes plus the bike rack are below that. If you can eliminate the extension by turning the handlebars, I would highly recommend it. Good luck!
Jeff n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mootana