Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2011, 03:02 AM   #1
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
"Splendide/Combo Dryer" Problem solved

Has anyone ever removed the heating element from the dryer? I think ours is bad; just wondering how big a job it was.
Thanks!

Old 06-12-2011, 03:40 AM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Not the heating element, but the belt that turns the dryer tub (have an Ariston stackable). It was a bit of a challenge, but doable. I have replaced the heating element in both a Kenmore and Maytag full sized dryer. When you get it out of the closet, you just keep taking things apart until you can get to the element. Are you still under warranty? Splendide may have an online maintenance manual to help.

You can test continuity in the element with a meter. If continuity is good, it also might be a bad area in the switch.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 05:08 AM   #3
jrhaman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6999
I helped the repair guy do mine last January. It wasn't that complicated but more so than I thought it would be. The hardest part was getting the rubber hose disconnected from the element to the drum without tearing it. With me helping it took about an hour or so. Maybe quicker if I did not help.
jrhaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 07:40 AM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Bill,
I got great support and talking directions from the service man when I worked on my single dryer.
Therefore, I recommend calling them to get help trouble shooting it and possible repair. Also check for Warranty support.
Good luck, let us know how you make out.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:56 AM   #5
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445

What John says is right, that if you call Splendide, you'll get a tech who will walk you through the the problem-diagnosis step-by-step without rushing you to follow his suggestions. I had a positive experience working with Spendide via phone about 5 weeks ago; when I'd ask the tech if he wanted me to hang up and call back when I had something to do for him that was going to take 5 minutes or more, he said no, he was glad to hang on, and for me to take my time. After 45 minutes of trouble-shooting, he narrowed the problem to 2 things, neither of which could be fixed without parts. However, calling Splendide for help might have solved the problem if it had just been a belt that came off or something that needed to be reset.

Good luck--and call Splendide!

Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:27 PM   #6
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

I removed the combo top yesterday after a couple of times at re-starting the dryer to get a load dry. I don't think it was because the load was too large. The heating element checked out good. I placed everything back together and tried to run just the dryer again. When I checked the clothes this time they were dry and hot.

I'm not going to get any more involved with it until after I get back home and then I'll probably call a repair shop or call Splendide as suggested.

On edit: The problem has been solved! I wasn't going to do anything else to try and fix it but since I still needed to re-secure the feet to the floor, I decided to look at the vent. It was full of moist lint. I failed to mention that sometimes it was flashing what was probably a code. I believe it had been overheating causing it to kick off. There is a rubber boot that looks sort of like a periscope just before the exhaust hose. It is about 6-8 inches long with 2-90 turns in it. This tube is where the lint had collected. I probably removed about two handfuls of it. It felt like it had completely blocked off the airflow.The dryer seems to be working just fine at this point.

Bill-N-Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 12:48 AM   #7
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Ahh, a safety shutoff. Glad you found the problem and it was an easy fix.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:45 AM   #8
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Love it when a plan comes together. Glad it is fixed.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote