Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2012, 11:31 AM   #1
osgoor
Established Member

M.O.C. #12645
Ever just get bored

This might sound silly but most of us are so used to being busy all our life and now we have stopped to retire and hit the road. I have worked in the IT industry as a consultant for the last 10+ years and in my world it's go-go-go. The more hours you work the more dollars you earn. It will be so different to not be on the go so much. So, Do you ever just get bored wth being on the road or at the campground?

Just more random thoughts going through an aging mind.

osgoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:41 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Right now we're lined up work camping thru the end of next summer. This summer and next summer for the Corps of Engineers and this winter at Boyce Thompson Arboretum in Arizona. In addition to that Joyce paints and does other crafts and I'm finally getting time to work on my Photography and making greeting cards and book marks and of course right now I'm working on the Montana National Rally. In my whole working life I've been a 24/7 kind of guy and while I have some slow hours now, they aren't all that many. The cool thing is that I'm driving what I chose to do now and not being driven by the way I earn my living. If your bored in retirement, full timing or both, it's your own fault.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:03 PM   #3
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
While I am still a few years off from retirement myself everybody I know who is, is as busy as they want to be. The big difference is if they are busy they are now busy doing the things they want to be doing instead of being busy working for somebody eleses dream.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:18 PM   #4
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Between the RV (tinkering, maintaining and going), boat (tinkering maintaining and going), firing range, grandkids, volunteer work...I don't have time for a job.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:08 PM   #5
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I've been retired now from the Postal Service for 7 years and the DW has been retired for 6 years. We were talking the other day and we really don't know now how we had time to work! LOL What with being a member and Commander for my hometown American Legion, on my Credit Union Board, working in the yard here at the stick and bricks, working out at the farm both on the yard and on the buildings there, enjoying time with the kids and grandkids, hopping in the TV and pulling the Monte around the country to see relatives and going to Rallies and the "honeydo jobs" from DW-- I frankly cannot figure where I ever had time to go to work and deliver the bills to all my loyal patrons on my route and working on cases for the Letter Carriers Union.

There's nothing better than having some free time to enjoy what you always wanted to do and we are definately doing that! I doubt if we will ever go Fulltime but we do plan on heading out more often with the Monte and seeing more of this beautiful nation we live in. We like to relax while we are out there but we also keep ourselves busy with visits with friends and family out there near and far. MOC is probably the best thing that could have happened to us since now we are making new friends and get a chance to see them as we travel the highways and byways and at Rallies and Gatherings we attend.

If you are out on the road and you pull into a campground and see a Montana, Big Sky, Mountaineer or High Country in the park, go on over and introduce yourself! You'd be surprised how many new friends and aquaintances you will make and you have two things incommon to start and that is your fifth wheel and your travels! You'd be surprised how many owners of these people no nothing of MOC and what we do.

Enjoy your time of retirement and enjoy that chance to be free to roam as you please across this wide nation!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:34 PM   #6
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I own my own business, we make ammo reloading equipment. I'm turning the business over to my nephew. I still have something to do but I'm not running the machines any more. I get to talk to customers help out when needed go the post office. I get to do the fun stuff. The nicest part of what I get to do is getting to know people all across this country. Any place I wont to travel I know somebody and they are all hunters and out doors people. Completely retire, no I'm having too much fun. Slow down, yes. After 30+ years of working 7 days a week, I wouldn't know how to quit.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:54 AM   #7
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
The only way to get boored in retirement is if you are totally devoid of imagination. There is a slow paced world out there between weekends that you never knew existed. Enjoy and forget what you "usta" do.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:41 AM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
It is difficult, the life is so different, and what we do, or did, is who we are, or were. I really fought with it when I retired after selling my first A/C business. I was depressed, restless and unhappy. Put on a good front for the Mrs. but it was tough. The business had been a 365 day, on call 24-7 for 14 years, I can identify with yours. We wintered at South Padre Island, gradually, it got better and I worked through it. Now, we will winter in Arizona, and work a bit in the summer.
I now have become comfortable with not doing anything work-related in the winter, love it and don't miss work at all.
This last winter, I lost 22 pounds, my Dr. took me off all meds, I was on blood pressure, and cholesterol meds. He told me to keep up whatever I have been doing...in the winter, nuttin..
If you ever hit a rough spot and want to talk, email me and we can exchange phone numbers.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:15 AM   #9
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Probably busier doing things we really like . If I could get DW to sell the "stick", I'd be almost perfect. It is not like work at Camping World, talking to people about one of my favorite things and getting paid is a win/win. I'd give that up if she would agree to full time . Been retired ten years and loving it. If you are positive thinking and have initiative , you will not be bored.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:53 AM   #10
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

It is difficult, the life is so different, and what we do, or did, is who we are, or were. I really fought with it when I retired after selling my first A/C business. I was depressed, restless and unhappy. Put on a good front for the Mrs. but it was tough. The business had been a 365 day, on call 24-7 for 14 years, I can identify with yours. We wintered at South Padre Island, gradually, it got better and I worked through it. Now, we will winter in Arizona, and work a bit in the summer.
I now have become comfortable with not doing anything work-related in the winter, love it and don't miss work at all.
This last winter, I lost 22 pounds, my Dr. took me off all meds, I was on blood pressure, and cholesterol meds. He told me to keep up whatever I have been doing...in the winter, nuttin..
If you ever hit a rough spot and want to talk, email me and we can exchange phone numbers.
I'll buy it all except the "do nothing in the winter" This guy climbs small mountains and is a total Geocacher all winter long. The trick is if you can trade one obsession that's turning you old for one that keeps you young
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:01 AM   #11
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Well I can take to the opposite end of the spectrum. If I don't have anything to do I have no problem sitting on the porch or in my lawn chair beside my rig just watching clouds and birds and trees etc. My partner from work and I both retired the same time and he had a problem shifting gears. Took him about 4 years till he could slow down. I never had that problem. But that's not to say I don't have things to do, I just do them at my own pace now. With my back the way it is I usually work hard a day and then sit for a day.
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:39 AM   #12
CATCRAW
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11243
We're retired - too busy to get bored!!!
CATCRAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:33 AM   #13
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
I was so bored today that I put new tires on the Montana, adjusted the brakes, greased the wet bolts, checked the U-bolts and the wheel bearings. Then I went and worked out. I can't take too much more of that kind of boredom.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote