Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2005, 03:07 AM   #1
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
Edge Chip for Duramax

Does anyone have the Edge Chip in their Duramax, and is it worth it and does it void the engine warranty?

Just wondering whether I should invest in one.

rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 03:33 AM   #2
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Just my opinion, but the Duramax works just fine as it is. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

If it ever does break, I don't want my warranty compromised in any way.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 03:46 AM   #3
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
My understanding is that it does void your warranty if installed. They always tell you to reset your computer back to the factory settings before taking your truck to the dealer for service, so IMO that means you are doing something to the truck that you should not really be doing.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 05:06 AM   #4
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
The reason you have to return the factory program is that the diagnostic tools used in the shop expect to see the factory program. If it is not there, they over write back to original. Then, the next time you try to use your programmer, it is out of sequence and can't be used again.

I had the Hypertech in my truck for seventy thousand miles. I had warranty work including fuel pump and injectors. There never was any question about responsibility or coverage. I just sold my truck while I wait for a 2006 now on order. The truck sold in the first day to the first person who came to look. I am convinced the Hypertech made the sale. A direct quote from the buyer as he drove, "My God, this thig has b***s!"

Look through the archives for many discussions on this subject. Also, go to the dieselplace.com for lots of discussion about GM diesels including this subject.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 06:45 AM   #5
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
We have the Edge with the attitude gage. To weather it does any better or not, to be honest I'm not sure. But, I think it does. The Edge has 5 settings, two of which you cannot use unless you modify the engine and trans. Two settings are for hauling and one for a little more pep when not towing. I have set mine on 1 or the lowest setting and have plenty of power. I tow a 3475 Montana (loaded) with a 2005 GMC 4x4 and getting 13-14 mpg (22-24 without the RV). The only time I take it out of overdrive is on long grades. I noticed that the temp of the engine got warmer and cooled down in a lower gear. One of the main reasons I had it installed was the EGT gage. Those Duramax's do create some heat and I have seen mine go up to near max temp. We saw a demo with a ford F350 with a 6.0 Diesel that had been modified. In #5 he could spin his rear wheels on concrete. As far as the warranty. It will void the warranty if it is installed. Unplugging Two multiple plugs and removing the computer module in the engine compartment, it goes back to GM specs. I had a chip in my old ford and it helped. Removing it, it went back to normal spec for servicing and I never had anyone say anything.
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 09:36 AM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by OntMont

Just my opinion, but the Duramax works just fine as it is. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

If it ever does break, I don't want my warranty compromised in any way.
Gotta go along with OntMont.
I have had 2 D/A's and both were factory stock and both performed extremely well. I for one WILL NOT do anything to screw up a good thing. Like the man said....

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!!!!"
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 12:10 PM   #7
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
Thanks to all who replied to my question re: curamax chip.

I kind of feel the way ONTMONT does. The 100,000 mile warranty on the engine and the overall great results I have had with it are pretty much what I was hooping for in a diesel. Who would have thought that the Trust me guy (ISUZU) would have come up weith such and engine.
Rick
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 05:14 PM   #8
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I am on my second Duramax and have not found any reason to install the chip or any other modifications. This truck just keeps on pulling and begs for more. I have not found a location where the truck was not enough to pull this coach. I will go along with the rest, if it aint broke dont mess with it.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 08:00 PM   #9
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
Once you jump the fence to the other side it will be very hard to jump back. My last Ford had a Tri-Power set up from Western Diesel and it would all out haul butt. I am still thinking about doing it to the new 6.0, but can't decide if it's worth it again. I had no problems with the old chipped truck, and if I could keep my foot out of it I could get at least 1-2 mpg better with it. But boy was it fun to drive without the trailer hooked up.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 11:14 PM   #10
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Fordzilla

Once you jump the fence to the other side it will be very hard to jump back. My last Ford had a Tri-Power set up from Western Diesel and it would all out haul butt. I am still thinking about doing it to the new 6.0, but can't decide if it's worth it again. I had no problems with the old chipped truck, and if I could keep my foot out of it I could get at least 1-2 mpg better with it. But boy was it fun to drive without the trailer hooked up.
I don't know about the Fords or Dodges but with the Duramax there is not need to go over the fence in the first place and so therefore no need to jump back. My D/A has all the "b***s" I need and with the price of fuel that 1-2 mpg lose is significant in a full timing lifestyle. I've had my '05 GMC just over 3 months and already I have 10,000 miles on it. That averages out to 40,000+ miles a year. Add the extra cost of fuel to the unnecessary extra cost of the chip and I don't see how a few extra b***s can be justified. It just makes ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE to throw good money at a perfectly good truck for an unnecessary "toy" that lessens fuel mileage AND could possibly VOID a 100,000 mile warranty. Other than a few Xtra b***s, where is the logic??
And don't be lulled into that "it won't effect your warranty" crap. If for any reason the truck manufacturer, be it GM, Ford or Chrysler, decides the chip or reprogramming was the contributing factor to the engine or transmission failure it becomes your soul responsibility to prove them wrong. Remember, they are the manufacturer and therefore they are considered the experts. So guess what...In order for you to prove their experts wrong it would take a lawyer, engineers and a whole lot of your time to file a law suit. Now that really adds to the COST factor and after it's all said and done you will probably lose the law suit anyway.
And one other thing...puting everything back the way it was won't work either. The computers in these trucks will show that some modification has been made, even though you had time to change it back. AND..What happens when you don't have time?? When you are dragging your Monty down the road with the family and pets on board and the trucks engine quits? You call for roadside assistance. They send a small tow truck and haul your truck to the local GM, Ford or Dodge dealer while you and the family and pets go in with the bigger tow truck hauling your Monty to the closest campground. Oh darn, with all the excitement you forgot to pull the chip or reprogram. Think the dealership's diagnostic equipment will miss the modification? I doubt it.
Now as Dave put it...The reason you have to return the factory program is that the diagnostic tools used in the shop expect to see the factory program. If it is not there, they over write back to original. Then, the next time you try to use your programmer, it is out of sequence and can't be used again. OOPS! More money wasted.

Once again I say....

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!!!!"
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 02:56 AM   #11
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Glenn, Once again you have got the numbers wrong. The reprogram actually improves fuel mileage numbers by 1 to 2 MPG NOT the other way around. I've got the experience to prove it on the 2003 Duramax. The improvement numbers are so significant as to be WITHOUT DOUBT.

And again, the warranty issue is simply a matter of risk reward. In a previous analysis I demonstrated the economic risk is something like trivial whie the reward is excellent rewarding both the head and the heart. Having said that, some will not have the stomach for even a tiny risk regardless of the reward. I'm one of those people whose stomach rarely argues with either the head or heart. Each of us need to accept that others are made up of different parts and honor and respect the differences.

As to jumping the fence, I have to wait and see. I have sold my 2003 LB7 Duramax and have a 2006 LBZ on order. the 3 was a 2500HD while the 6 will be a 3500DRW. There are enough differences that I plan to get used to the new truck prior to trying an after market programmer. Part of the reason is that the Hypertech provided so much extra performance that one could get in trouble when running empty. That is, there is so much raw power it is possible to out drive the truck style suspension. The new LBZ has the same power and torque output as the LB7 with hypertech (or the LLY with Hypertech). So, I will analyze all of the possibilities and decide whether to get a new programmer to provide even more. (My criteria FWIW is I want to be able to accelerate from 70MPH with loaded trailer attached. and I want 12 to 13 mpg when towing at 65 mph.)

Finally, what ever side of the arguement one is on it pays to remember the advice of Boss Kettering "Logic is a systematic way to go wrong."
Dave
Old 11-09-2005, 10:17 AM   #12
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
Once again people need to do their home work - Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. "The Act makes it easier for purchasers to sue for breach of warranty by making breach of warranty a violation of federal law, and by allowing consumers to recover court costs and reasonable attorneys' fees. This means that if you lose a lawsuit for breach of either a written or an implied warranty, you may have to pay the customer's costs for bringing the suit, including lawyer's fees. "

A dealership cannot legally revoke your entire warranty for a modification. They can, and likely will, revoke the warranty on the parts of the truck directly affected by the modification, such as brake rotors for aftermarket pad use.

http://www.granatellimotorsports.com/magnusonmoss.htm

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/...s/warranty.htm

I know first hand - Been there done that - stealership(dealer) lost. To bad so sad - I had a re-programmer, exhaust system, cold air intake and throttle body spacer. Computer went out, they tried to deny warranty coverage and the manufacturer (Chevrolet) told the dealer they had to honor it under the act unless they could prove the computer failed do to the modifications. THEY COULDN'T. It's not so cut and dry as everyone has been stating in this thread. The burden of proof is on the dealership not the owner that the modifications caused the refusal of warranty coverage and actually when it is all said and done the manufacturer is who makes the final decision on whether the item is covered or not - NOT THE DEALERSHIP.

I respect everyone’s opinions on this topic and now you have mine.

God Bless America
Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida
Jeff Heiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 10:25 AM   #13
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Good Show, Jeff. It is always best to base decisions on fact rather than urban legend.
Dave

PS, I'll have to modify my previous risk-reward ananlysis. The risk is not just trivial, it is virtually non-existant.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:28 PM   #14
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Dave,
Maybe not, even with Jeff's act you are going to have a lot of hassle getting the warranty honored. In the meantime you may be without your vehicle which in our case would mean renting one until GMC decided to cover it. I still say, better to be safe than sorry. Our new truck doesn't need any more power. We have trouble keeping those horses reined in!
Happy trails.........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 05:04 PM   #15
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Sue and Ed,
My original risk analysis suggested something like .02 cents per mile was an appropriate reserve for complications. Not much need for Prilosec here (IMHO). However, as I said, I want to see how well the LBZ does. You probably already know. Given my bent for performance, I will most likely try a reprogrammer when one comes out and the truck is past its initial breakin period. Bear in mind, none of the major after market guys (Hypertech, Edge, Banks, etal.) have one for the new LBZ. I am watching the dieselplace.com daily to see what may be comng.

Oh, and as an aside, one guy who got a new 06 LBZ 2500HD on a recent afternoon, took it to the track that same night and ran a 16 second quarter mile. ( I'd need prilosec after doing that but it is really impressive.) That is right at the numbers for a reprogrammed already broken in LB7 or LLY.