Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2005, 07:15 PM   #21
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
Wellllll, I think that the calgon in the bath and beauty dept. is kinda for the bath. It has perfume in it to make you smell good after your bath. I do know that it is a water softener also. If you look at my note above you will find the website with a picture of the liquid type. Once you see what it looks like you will be able to spot it.

Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 11:24 AM   #22
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
WHY HAVE A TANK FULL INDICATOR IF IT DOESN'T WORK???

MAYBE KETSTONE CAN ANSWER THAT. My indicators say black 2/3 Grey 1/3, Gally 1/3, even after dumping and thuroughly flushing, and the galgon method. The same indicators always worked in my other RVs.
RADHAZJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 04:13 PM   #23
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
RADJAZJOE

We never had a set of indicators that did work correctly on either of the prior rigs we have owned. The fresh water one was the only one we could even hope was sorta correct.

We decided we did not have any more "angst" time to spend on the silly things years ago. So, sometimes we do check them, then just look at each other, laugh, shake our heads, and go do something else.

We are using the Calgon, but not to get the indicators to function, but rather to have the tanks clean.

CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 12:14 AM   #24
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
What I have done the past two times we camped far enough from home was to dump and flush as normal. Then fill the black tanke 1/4 full or so again and dump in a little calgon into the mix and leave it there while I drive home slooshing around. Then when we arrive at the next campground I dump it first thing when I get there. Cleans the sidewalls and the sensers work great.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 05:50 PM   #25
Ed Benson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1027
What great info on treating the tanks with Calgon and added soap to the black tank!!

I have always use the "full tanks", and "Foul First - Lighter Later" methods when dumping, and use only the rapid absorbing paper in the black tank, as tested before using in a cup - but still see an occasional sensor failure that can only be attributed to the "gunk" building up on the interior tank walls.

So - its off to "Wally World" and Calgon for me !!

Thanks again folks.
Ed Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 02:06 AM   #26
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have a dump station at home so our tanks are cleaner than most..have always used calgon and rid-x and we have never had a sensor failure in any of our campers.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 09:23 AM   #27
gitrdun
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4075
I have also heard 2 cups of Boraxo in black tank works well also. Am I wrong or does it work?
gitrdun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 09:38 AM   #28
thook
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3100
I've been using Boraxo instead of calgon along with a cup of cold water laundry detergent and it seems to work fine. Sensors appear to be accurate. I also use only rapidly dissolving toilet pater and only dump when full. So far so good.
thook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 01:31 PM   #29
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
Well, after filling all tanks almost full and adding calgon, then driving 75 miles, guess what happenned when I dumped. The sensors all worked 100%. Thanks to all. I will use galgon and full tanks/agitation method next time I have a problem. Sorry I got so frustrated before. This info should be in the manual.
Thats one of my running list of 432 problems solved.
RADHAZJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 06:34 PM   #30
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
RADHAZJOE, fire those other 431 issues at us. I'm sure there are enough of us here that we can get that cut in half in a matter of weeks. Glad to hear it worked well for you. I had always used ice cubes with agitation before coming to this site. That's when I heard about using Calgon in the black tank. After the first time letting it agitate while traveling to the next site we fould it worked as well as ice cubes or better. And it's a lot cheaper than buying a couple of bags of ice each time.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 11:14 PM   #31
dbrill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #359
Besides the fact that the sensors are not accurate, when they pump the tank the tank drains out so slowly that that "stuff" hangs on the sensors. You don't really get the fast flush you get when you have full hookup or are at the dump station. I added a quickie flush to my Mountaineer and run it for a couple of minutes after we have to be pumped to help clean off the sensors. Of course the problem there is you speed up filling the tank and get closer to needing the next pumping.
dbrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 02:15 AM   #32
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Remember now that calgon is a brand name, We have used it for years because it is always easy to get.It is a water softener and any water softener will do the job...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote