Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2005, 10:34 AM   #1
dcowie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3207
Microwave troubles

I have a microwave/convected oven combo in my 2005 2980 Monty.
It has worked fine until very recent. The microwave turns on for less than a second, shuts off, and I lose the clock setting? I tried re-setting the circuit breaker and different settings, but all with the same reult. Anyone had a similar experience?

Doug

dcowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 12:25 PM   #2
thook
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3100
I had the same problem, but it happened when I was trying to run the 5er off a portable generator that didn't have the umph to run the AC and the microwave at the same time. I think it must be some kind of low voltage or over current protection that takes it out momentarily. All other times it has worked fine. Could you have had low voltage?
thook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 01:11 PM   #3
DiananColin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #447
Send a message via Yahoo to DiananColin
On the next to last day of our 7 week trip Colin plugged in the Electric, everything worked except the microwave/convection oven. We checked everything and the only thing not working was the microwave. Our Dealer has said they will replace it when we take the 5er in before going away in September. We had assumed that it had come unplugged but perhaps not.
DiananColin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 04:27 PM   #4
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
The microwave in our stick house did that and it was the start capacitor. Something that needs to be done professionally. A capacitor can put you down on your butt if you know what I mean. OUCH!!!
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 10:12 PM   #5
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dcowie

The microwave turns on for less than a second, shuts off, and I lose the clock setting? I tried re-setting the circuit breaker and different settings, but all with the same reult. Anyone had a similar experience?
Yes, as was mentioned insufficient amps will cause this to happen. I.e. trying to run it off 15AMPs. I believe it requires 30AMPS for the microwave. The covection oven should run on less.
315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 02:54 AM   #6
Dental Floss Tycoon
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1817
We have the same problem. The convection oven runs but the microwave will shut off after a second or two. The problem is low voltage. The air conditioner will also start acting strange when a low voltage event occurs.

It's kind of like water in a garden hose. Voltage is pressure, amperage is flow. It takes more pressure to run the microwave than the oven. Campgrounds are also notorious for having too small of a diameter of electrical wiring.
Dental Floss Tycoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 03:22 AM   #7
DCP
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1013
Send a message via AIM to DCP Send a message via MSN to DCP
On our recent trip to Chesapeake bay, our microwave/convection oven quit working. We called the manufacturer and explained the situation and said they would send a replacement oven to our home and I could install it myself. We received it, but I have another issue for the dealer to fix and I am going to ask them to put the new unit in for me. I do have to send the old unit back to them or they will charge me for it. By the way, the unit would not heat.
DCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 06:12 AM   #8
tractor
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3421
WE picked our new rig up in may,replaced the micro by june no questions asked.
tractor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 05:35 PM   #9
Montana_3956
Established Member

M.O.C. #3956
The problem is, indeed, low voltage which is common in campgrounds. The lower the voltage is the higher the current draw (Amp Draw) is and more likely you'll pop either the breaker or the fuse in the oven, incidently, the fuse is 15 Amp ceramic slow blow type Not 30 amp. You can avoid this by getting an Autoformer which is simply a buck/boost transformer.
DCP, Congrats, you just got a new oven for nothing! You may only have to replace the fuse in the MW section. You may want to get someone who does this for a living. There's a capacitor inside that may hold voltage, serious voltage, About 4K Volts.
Just to qualify my comments, I've been a major appliance Tech for about 20 Yrs.
Hope it all works out for ya'll,
Montana_3956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 09:04 AM   #10
Montana_4386

M.O.C. #4386
We have the same problem in our park, the voltage drops too low sometimes and the microwave resets. It happens mostly in the morning and evening when people are using a lot of power and the line voltage drops.
Montana_4386 is offline   Reply With Quote