Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2020, 06:30 PM   #1
Gtunink

M.O.C. #27089
2011 Montana 3455SA

I bought a 2011 Montana 3455SA. It came with two remote controls. Batteries dead on both. I figured out how to replace the batteries on both. One is credit card size and runs the slides, leveling jacks, outdoor light, awnings. The second one looks like a vehicle key fob. It has an up/down arrow and 2 other buttons. A bigger blue button in the center along with another button I don’t know what their function is. I discovered the up/down arrows run the TV jack to raise and lower it in the counter. Can anyone tell me what the other buttons do? I have an electric fireplace that is supposed to be remote control But do not have a remote that came with my camper. The fireplace is a dimplex. BF8000ST MOD C. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you

Gtunink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 08:08 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Your fireplace remote will be a different remote and the TV lift on our 2010 only had up and down as I remembe it. Since the reciever on the rig remote controls used to cause trouble and leave folks with problems getting stuff to work we just took the batteries out of ours and gave it to the folks when we traded it in. Others have had good luck with them and still more had to change the grounding on the reciever to straighten things out.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 08:46 PM   #3
Gtunink

M.O.C. #27089
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
Your fireplace remote will be a different remote and the TV lift on our 2010 only had up and down as I remembe it. Since the reciever on the rig remote controls used to cause trouble and leave folks with problems getting stuff to work we just took the batteries out of ours and gave it to the folks when we traded it in. Others have had good luck with them and still more had to change the grounding on the reciever to straighten things out.
I have no complications with the remote for the slides, jacks, awning etc. the small key fob size remote has 4 buttons. It has a large blue button in the middle. Another grey button. And two buttons that are up and down arrows. Those arrow buttons run the tv lift in the counter up and down. The big blue button and other button don’t appear to do anything except light the blue indicator on the remote. My fireplace is supposed to be remote but I don’t have a remote for the fireplace that came with the camper. Is it possible that the small key fob remote also works the fireplace or does anyone know the actual function of the other 2 buttons?
Old 09-24-2020, 04:33 PM   #4
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
I have the exact trailer. I have no fireplace remote (did not know it had one). I have the slide etc remote, but gave up on it years ago. It eats batteries like no tomorrow.

I did find another remote in side, similar to what you describe. (can you post a pic of yours ?)I cant get it to do anything.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 07:46 AM   #5
Gtunink

M.O.C. #27089
I will take a picture this weekend. The slide remote has a procedure on the back to turn it on and off. Maybe it eats batteries if you aren’t turning it off? The fireplace may or maynot have come with a remote but I looked up the model number BF8000ST its a Dimplex brand. The manual for it says its remote control.
Old 09-26-2020, 12:27 PM   #6
Mikelff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtunink View Post
I will take a picture this weekend. The slide remote has a procedure on the back to turn it on and off. Maybe it eats batteries if you aren’t turning it off? The fireplace may or maynot have come with a remote but I looked up the model number BF8000ST its a Dimplex brand. The manual for it says its remote control.
You can probably order a replacement remote for your fireplace direct from manufacturer. I would contact them directly. As for the remote with the blue button, again, you may find your information on line at the manufacturers web site. If not, try contacting their customer service. If no forum answers, check with a dealer. Its out there somewhere! Good luck.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 07:25 AM   #7
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
As far as I know the fireplace in our unit is NOT remote capable.

As for the TV up/down remote. our battery is missing, does anyone know what battery # it uses.?
Old 10-06-2020, 07:33 AM   #8
Gary and Buffy
Established Member

M.O.C. #22582
Remotes

I have a 2010 3455sa.

I bought it 2 years ago and like it a lot. I looked at the manual for the fireplace and found out it can be remote controlled. I didn't have a remote for it so I ordered one from the manufac. After getting the remote I found out there needs to be a receiver for it to work and I don't have that. Haven't decided if I want to order that or not. Love the fireplace, takes the chill off.

On a trip last week the switches for the landing gear and rear stabilizers stopped working. I used a jumper wire to the black box on the wall from battery to the terminals marked manual switches both + and -. This solved the problem temporarily. Couple days later the slides wouldn't go in or out and I found using the same jumper also made that work. Moved the wires from the manual switch terminal to the input + and - terminals and that is working OK.

I understand that the black box on the wall is for a remote control and that may be the problem. Don't have the remote but think it may be handy. Went to local dealer who called Keystone. Keystone told him they don't put remotes on their campers so it must be an aftermarket. That doesn't sound right.
Any one have any knowledge about this. Is the remote manuf. installed?
Where can I get one?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Gary
Gary and Buffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 08:04 AM   #9
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary and Buffy View Post
I have a 2010 3455sa.

I bought it 2 years ago and like it a lot. I looked at the manual for the fireplace and found out it can be remote controlled. I didn't have a remote for it so I ordered one from the manufac. After getting the remote I found out there needs to be a receiver for it to work and I don't have that. Haven't decided if I want to order that or not. Love the fireplace, takes the chill off.

On a trip last week the switches for the landing gear and rear stabilizers stopped working. I used a jumper wire to the black box on the wall from battery to the terminals marked manual switches both + and -. This solved the problem temporarily. Couple days later the slides wouldn't go in or out and I found using the same jumper also made that work. Moved the wires from the manual switch terminal to the input + and - terminals and that is working OK.

I understand that the black box on the wall is for a remote control and that may be the problem. Don't have the remote but think it may be handy. Went to local dealer who called Keystone. Keystone told him they don't put remotes on their campers so it must be an aftermarket. That doesn't sound right.
Any one have any knowledge about this. Is the remote manuf. installed?
Where can I get one?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Gary
Your unit did indeed come with a remote that operates front landing gear the rear stabilizers the slides the scare lights and the awning.That black box with all the wires going to it is the receiver for that remote. Call Lippert Components to see if you can get a new remote but I doubt it. Maybe eBay ?

Search The Forum and you will find many threads on that
Most people including myself have just put it in a drawer and don't use it it's more trouble than it's worth. The remote chews through batteries and a very quick pace.
Old 10-06-2020, 11:09 AM   #10
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Your 2010 did come with a remote. Your dealer should know about it as well as Keystone. When mine was stolen, the dealer looked it up on the Montana Parts application and just ordered it.

As for remote batteries, I have to replace mine every two years or so. But I really only use when hooking up to adjust the pin height.

The switch problem you encountered in not all that uncommon. Here are some earlier discussions of the problem and the solution
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=46515
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...remote,control
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=46379

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 11:31 AM   #11
Gary and Buffy
Established Member

M.O.C. #22582
Thank you for your replies. Beeje suggested I call Lippert. Talked to a nice fellow named Kevin. My camper is too old. He suggested I call Gama Electronics.

Talked to a tech named Bryan at Gama. Also very helpful. After explaining my situation he suggested I get an entirely new unit made for 5th wheels that is much better than the old ones. A simple change of wires from one to the other.

Here is the link to that unit:
https://www.gamainc.com/product/183744/
It costs $209 plus $10 shipping.
I feel that is worth it to me so I ordered one.

I'll let you know when I get it and how it works

Thanks, Gary
Gary and Buffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 03:41 PM   #12
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
I have never used my remote for the slides or legs. It is just easier to do it ourselves.

but, i love my fireplace remote....on our earlier model they didn't put a remote into the fireplace.

3402RL
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote