Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2020, 03:55 PM   #21
jtcurbo
Established Member

M.O.C. #25900
Jed not every state has this requirement as I understand it. I live in Tx and they do, but they don’t really enforce it. I spoke with a highway patrolmen friend of mine and he told me they don’t bother with it. By, you can pick up a Cdl manual at any Tx driver License office or down load it from the website. After you pass the test you get a learners permit. After 13 days you can schedule a skills test. We are going to Florida for 5 months and then coming back to Tx. I think I’m going to get my class A CDL then. We have traveled all over the country, from Main to Washington New Mexico to Florida and have not had any issue. But, if there was an accident it may be a problem. I’m not sure what states require the class A CDL.
Look on YouTube for some videos on this subject. Also you can find a practice test on line as well as a video on the driving skills test. We have a 2018 345 RL. 37’. We really like it. Also we are full time.

jtcurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 04:03 PM   #22
skippydoo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25725
Oh for crying out loud. NC will take as much money from us as possible.

Rip offs
skippydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 05:23 PM   #23
Fountaj

M.O.C. #25379
Mxdad637

It is supposed to be the same in all states but we know how that goes. The deal is, over 26001lbs you are required a CDL. If you haul “commercial” it is a CDL with an “A”. Endorsement that requires the driver to have a CDL WITH a medical car to haul “commercial”. For profit.
If your state required a CDL. Non-commercial it is with a”B” endorsement that allows to to carry over 26002lbs NOT for profit and no medical card. You DL will still say class A. That’s how the book reads in Florida when I did my training.
Fountaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 06:55 PM   #24
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountaj View Post
It is supposed to be the same in all states but we know how that goes. The deal is, over 26001lbs you are required a CDL. ............
This is not true in many states. In Texas and a number of other states, if your truck and trailer have a gross combined weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 lbs or more you need a class A non commercial license.

Here is the Texas requirements for non commercial license. A number of other states are similar.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/driverlicense/dlclasses.htm
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 08:51 PM   #25
RBGALL
Established Member

M.O.C. #27048
In PA combination truck and trailer, if trailer is over GVWR of 10,001lb or truck and trailer GCVWR is over 26,001lb a non commercial license is required. I paid $5.00 for permit and scheduled test on line. Need to have a CDL or non CDL licensed person to go with you to take test. They said people have come to take test without licensed driver. He said that they are not enforcement and gave test anyway. Test was walk around inspection, backing and road driving test. CDL truck driving trainer said new rules started in 2015. Like in other post Insurance may walk away and refuse to pay. I’m sure a good Lawyer will know the law. If you don’t have the proper license to be on the road you are guilty!
RBGALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 03:38 PM   #26
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Kansas has the same rules -- 26001 GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating) between the truck and trailer, or trailer over 10,000 lbs, then you need a Non-Commercial class A license. So, my truck has a GVWR of 14000; my trailer is 17500, total 31500 so I need a non-commercial class A license - which I have.

Test was a written test - CDL materials minus air brakes; driving test was pretty much just driving until the parking and backing came up. I passed all (by the skin on my teeth I might add), and when I went in was told I had to go to another town to get my CDL. The driving test employee thought I was a full CDL so I got that experience but I didn't get one - no need for the annual physical and all the other POTENTIAL issues down the road. The Non-commercial Class A has met all my needs to date.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 08:42 AM   #27
Charlie 3931fb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25947
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeb_cbb View Post
Appears that my Montana and Ram dually combination require a special drivers license. Have spoken with NCDMV headquarters and four local offices. No one seems to know anything about this. Their website is no help, and gives no indication of what to study nor what to expect during the driving test. If you have this license, please give me some information...and, if anywhere near Raleigh, where did you go for the test. Thanks so much!
I went to my local DMV office and told them what I was driving and pulling and the set me up with both the written and driving test in Ashville. I now have a NC non commercial license. The driving test is a big joke. But you have to do it. If you have a accident and it your fault you insurance may not cover you.

46 years married (Dam I been in prison that long)
Charlie 3931fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 09:33 AM   #28
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie 3931fb View Post
I went to my local DMV office and told them what I was driving and pulling and the set me up with both the written and driving test in Ashville. I now have a NC non commercial license. The driving test is a big joke. But you have to do it. If you have a accident and it your fault you insurance may not cover you.
Where does “ insurance may not cover you” come from? Hogwash...
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 11:04 AM   #29
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfb View Post
Where does “ insurance may not cover you” come from? Hogwash...

If insurance companies could decide when to cover you the never would cover anything. I ask my agent if I was covered if I was overweight. They called Allststate, yes you are covered. If they could deny coverage they wouldn’t cover you if you intoxicated or speeding or ran a red light or broke any law.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 09:36 PM   #30
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Quote:
never had an issue... 38 foot Montana... 13k loaded 16000 gvwr...
Is that because you haven't been pulled over? Or been in a wreck and the other guys lawyer bring up an improper license?
Old 10-08-2020, 08:30 AM   #31
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
Is that because you haven't been pulled over? Or been in a wreck and the other guys lawyer bring up an improper license?
Had a hiway Patrol set up behind me on the side of 80 while changing a tire..Never been pulled over since 92.. all most
30 years.. Got in touch with our dmv about 5 years ago about the license.. They said they dont test anymore..she said you dont need one..As far as accidents, that’s
why we have insurance.
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 12:45 PM   #32
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Obviously varies by state. And as noted above Texas does require and test for it. But enforcement???? Lax I would guess. I have never been pulled over or even remember seeing an RV pulled over by an LEO. Although a good friend did get stopped by a very small town LEO on 287 in the Texas panhandle and got a ticket for exceeding their 30 mph limit. Are we that good drivers? Or do they just ignore us.

I would be more concerned about lawyers than law enforcement or insurance in the event of an accident. You can bet it would not take a legal team long to find out about your licensing in the event of an accident. Fortunately I am just a few pounds under 26,000 and don’t have to worry about it.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 01:00 PM   #33
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Quote:
Had a hiway Patrol set up behind me on the side of 80 while changing a tire..Never been pulled over since 92.. all most
30 years.. Got in touch with our dmv about 5 years ago about the license.. They said they dont test anymore..she said you dont need one..As far as accidents, that’s
why we have insurance.
I'm moving in next door to Carson City. I've looked into the licensing issue and found we do need the license. I wouldn't trust an ignorant state employee at DMV to know the law. Having the proper license doesn't make us better drivers but it does make us legal.
Old 10-08-2020, 03:37 PM   #34
jetskier
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
I'm moving in next door to Carson City. I've looked into the licensing issue and found we do need the license. I wouldn't trust an ignorant state employee at DMV to know the law. Having the proper license doesn't make us better drivers but it does make us legal.

You do and I took the Non-Comm Class A in the Fall of 2018 at the Carson City DMV. The inspection and skills testing was done on the asphalt pad south of the building. The road test was up I-580 into Washoe Valley to the Bellevue Exit and headed back.