Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-28-2020, 09:45 PM   #21
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post

Since your getting ready to buy let me suggest a different path from others who say "the dealer matters above all else". I almost totally disagree with that premise. My recommendation is to do your research and decide on a brand and floor plan. Then COMMODITY price that floor plan with a minimum of at least 3 dealers and preferably several more than that. Once you get the best "out the door price" then and only then start working financing. Once you get the very best overall deal buy from THAT dealer no matter how far away they are from you. BEFORE you sign, do a VERY through inspect or even hire a professional to inspect the unit. There are entire threads and lists here on how to do that. Make sure that the inspection is completed with electric and water hooked up and that every single appliance and device is tested several times! DO NOT SIGN for the unit and take possession until the purchase dealer has fixed EVERYTHING that was found on the pre inspection!! Once you drive off the lot you have just about zero power to get the unit fixed in a timely fashion. DO NOT FALL for the "if you buy it from us we will take good care of you" BS. If its not on paper that is total BS! Once you buy the unit find a good local SERVICE ONLY business with experienced RV technicians. Those businesses will by design do better, faster and often less expensive work than any sales dealership so called service department!

Some folks on here are going to come down on me for being so negative about sales dealerships. Let me just say you don't have to be mean to salesmen but you do have to approach the purchase as the business transaction it is and leave the emotions at home. Don't believe any of the sales hype from the smiling salesman and understand that your only real power is the ability to walk away. Be prepared to do that at any point during the deal!! Be sure EVERYTHING is taken care of to YOUR satisfaction before signing that bottom line. If they suggest you have to make a "down payment" before they do anything then tell them you can do the deal elsewhere and walk out. Trust me once they know your serious they will stop with the games!
I won't come down on you for being negative about sales dealerships, but I will say I think I understand why you are getting the results you are...
Basically, if I understand this correctly, you clearly indicate to any and all dealerships that you are not interested in a win/win relationship, but one where you dictate all of your needs and will drive as far as it takes to find someone who might be willing to make a deal.
But of course, it costs money to employ good people, whether in sales, service or finance. So, the lowest cost dealer who has to have a lower cost model often does not pay their folks as well; or pushes them so hard they don't stay for long.
On the other hand, the dealer who does pay his folks better, and provides better benefits may ask a few dollars more. But, it sounds like they don't get your business...

So, as to my opinion, I believe there is a more balanced way to do things; look for a good dealer with a good reputation with long term employees and ask them to make you the best deal that works for both of you. In my experience with RVs and vehicles that is usually similar in price, perhaps a few hundred at most... and in the case of buying both a new truck and RV just this month, the local dealers matched the lowest price.

Maybe my area is different, but my experience is there are still good dealers out there, who are staffed by people who actually care. Some in my area I know will travel to buy wherever they find a deal; but I seem to have much better relationship with the service departments than they do

Again, YMMV

Brad

kowbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 01:08 PM   #22
GreG L.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21993
I went through this last year. I had been looking for a 5th wheel for 2 years and knew what I wanted, a 2020 3561 (now a discontinued model). Once I knew what I wanted I started looking at prices to order one (no one carried that model) with all options except paint, including generator. Prices varied widely from dealer to dealer, the highest was CW here in Jacksonville. I called the big discount dealers (some ware around the great lakes, since I can say who) and got the lowest price I has seen.
When we went to CA early last year for the summer I found a dealer in Sacramento (not CW) that would order one within a few dollars of the lowest price I had. Then I started looking at online dealer reputation and was happy with what I found so I ordered it.

Now for the after the sale service. I had a leaking jack so when I had it in CW for a washer dryer install (turns out they were much lower than anyone else, even the dealer, I bought from by hundreds), I ask them to fix it under warranty, there response was were too busy to do warranty work on anything that wasn't sold here. Knowing that I bought it 10 miles away I asked them " you mean I need to take it back to FL where I bought it to have it serviced", their answer was yes.
A few weeks later I dropped it off at my dealer in Sacramento and they said it would be two weeks or more because parts were hard to get. One week later the fires were getting so bad we had to leave so I called the dealer explained the situation and asked if I could pick it up and bring it back once we could return. They said they would ask and call me back. Three hours later they said to pick it up it was fixed, they took one they had on the shelf for for some other issue and replaced it. Good service.
GreG L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 07:44 AM   #23
Snowwolfe
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26974
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsout View Post
The Montana line up is Tradesman=Cougar, Bighorn=High Country, Laramie+ Montana, Alpine=Long Horn although Montana has nothing in the Limited category. If that is what you want look at Velano or Mobile Suites. Again you pay for what you get.
I had no Idea Tiffin was involved in fifth wheelers. Our previous RV was a Tiffin Allegro Motorhome and build quality was fantastic. I plan on researching the Vilano line.
Thank you
Snowwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 06:15 PM   #24
Edcandiano

M.O.C. #29537
I have to comment that I wholeheartedly agree. The best thing you can arm yourself with is knowledge and the ability to walk away.
Edcandiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 06:52 PM   #25
Corkym909

M.O.C. #32518
3813ms

Hello we are seeing prices all over the board . We are thinking about buying a 2023 new Montana 3813 Ms . We have negotiated it down to 71,999 all in out the door tax and licensing. I just wanted to get thoughts on this . As someone said cut them off at the knees.
Corkym909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 09:41 PM   #26
Derby6
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #31898
Corky,
What was initial MSRP and what are options? I have a 2022 3231 CK. Bought new in 2022. Has EVERYTHING we wanted and then some. Options are HUGE. some examples but far from exhaustive list.

Regular or deluxe/legacy addition.
King or queen bed
Fridge size and is it residential or RV.
Full body paint or decals.
Slides and levelers electric or hydraulic.
Onboard generator.

If your happy and think its fair. Good enough.
Derby6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 10:20 PM   #27
Corkym909

M.O.C. #32518
Msrp 127,99 They had it listed for 89,999. I offered 60,00 we settled at 71,000 they pay tax license. It also has solar and lithium batteries, which they said is upgrade . And yes huge floor plan . We love all the storage we had a 2005 Montana and ripped the king pin box out. So time to upgrade
Old 03-16-2024, 10:32 AM   #28
Derby6
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #31898
Sounds fair to me.
Old 03-16-2024, 12:13 PM   #29
Corkym909

M.O.C. #32518
I didn’t see all your questions
King bed , 3 slides , full paint, auto leveling , hydraulic slides, residential fridge, legacy. No generator
Old 03-16-2024, 02:24 PM   #30
Derby6
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #31898
Sounds like a good deal to me. Residential fridge no go for me, but that’s just my preference.
Old Yesterday, 07:49 AM   #31
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
A lot of an RV purchase is luck. The one you happen to get might be nearly perfect, on the other hand, it might be full of problems and cost you lots of money to repair. We are on RV number six....and have had both types.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:20 PM   #32
Corkym909

M.O.C. #32518
Our first one was a great trailer , but heading home from Washington the kingpin box ripped out .
I went up and bought the 2023 3813ms last night. We went over the whole trailer . They had to replace the inverter and batteries because some one stole them . And had to put a couple of pieces of trim back on . But so far everything is good . We towed it 400 miles last night over Californias lovely roads and so far everything is good.We started moving in today and hopefully will be going out in a couple weeks. The. Only complaint I have so far and had to overcome before I bought it , is how low the stabilizers sit . We own property in the desert 9
Miles off the highway. So we will have to stop and camp . And just drive our truck back and. Have are fun each day
Old Today, 10:57 AM   #33
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkym909 View Post
...The. Only complaint I have so far and had to overcome before I bought it , is how low the stabilizers sit . We own property in the desert 9
Miles off the highway. So we will have to stop and camp . And just drive our truck back and. Have are fun each day...
The jacks can be easily raised. Just be sure to turn the bolt head and hold the nut steady. The nut has striations and doesn't like to turn.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote