Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2014, 08:36 AM   #1
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
No DC power?

While loading the rig today, all of a sudden lost all DC power. Checked battery and charged it (new). Tightened and cleaned battery connections. Re-did ground connection to frame. Shut off all power and checked connections in the fuse panel. Re-connected AC power and DC came back (converter as battery was disconnected). When I was feeling good, went to reconnect Neg. cable and lost DC power, again. Any ideas???

capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:55 AM   #2
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
Is your battery reversed?
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:12 AM   #3
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Len,
Double checked that. Worked fine for 24 hrs. when we brought it home from storage. Lights, jacks/Level up, and slides worked fine. Hmm.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:57 AM   #4
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Must have something to do with the "feeling good" idea you were in! LOL Bet Jim F. or John K will be along shortly to give you an answer!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 03:28 PM   #5
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Chris, George Person had a similar problem. Check the ground to frame connection on the frame to the right of battery box. His was loose.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 03:57 PM   #6
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
And check the four 25 amp reverse polarity fuses on the upper right hand side of the fuse/breaker panel. If you accidentally did my trick (reverse battery hookup), they will blow and all must be replaced at the same time.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:58 AM   #7
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Talked w/Keystone and checked most of the above. RV Mobile tech came and searched for a short (frame was carrying positive power). Traced main power cable to battery switch in the underbelly and found melted cable and hydraulic lines! Pulled battery switch off convenience center and found it had grounded to the frame behind it. Long posts on the switch contacting the aluminum frame. 3 fried hydraulic hoses and wiring! Yikes.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:06 AM   #8
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Please go to this link if you want to comment on the FUSE or ask questions. I started a thread there so I would not hijack this topic. Thanks.
Chris,
Your problem is the main reason I have installed this fuse on my battery feeds for my RV. (note I have two six volt banks in series so each cable off the positive 12 volt bank has this fuse on it.) I am using a 300 AMP fuse at each fuse location. Some other members have had the positive wire rub against the frame and short out causing a fire.

edit 3/23/14 A smaller fuse can be used depending on your demand. I have a high demand for my 2500 watt inverter

BLUE SEA 5191 MRBF FUSE BLOCK 30-300AMP

This should prevent a fire, melted wires or melted hydraulic lines that run parallel with the wires.

For safety reasons, I do not understand why all RV manufactures don't already install them. Oh yes it does cost more.

Good luck with a speedy repair. Sorry it had delayed your trip to Florida.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 11:37 AM   #9
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Thanks, John. Keystone politely declined to take responsibility for the electrical short(s). Not even a "good luck" from customer service. Not happy at all. Just "not our problem." I did make follow up contact w/a supervisor I have known and worked w/in the past, and he is willing to consider estimates and ideas for fixing the situation. We'll see how that turns out next week. Sure glad Lynn and I have a place to sleep that's warm and dry during the interim?!!!
Old 03-21-2014, 01:51 PM   #10
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
Good call John, I contacted a local marine shop and they have 5 in stock. Going to run down and pickup four this weekend (4 T-105 batteries). Looks like good insurance to me.
davidaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 02:19 PM   #11
Chip
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6338
My battery switch failed at the rally last fall. Got the part from my tech and replaced it before any damage.

John, where did you place the fuse? From battery to fuse then on to rig?

2012 Big Sky 3400, now an SOB 5th wheel
2007 Montana 3075 previously
2015 GMC 3500 Dually
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 02:26 PM   #12
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Chris,
You validated another reason every semi mechanically inclined RV'er should drop the belly cover, convenience center partition,rear basement wall and inspect for wiring and plumbing not properly secured. I must have installed 20-30 tie wraps and chaffing pads before I felt comfortable. I will be installing a fuse block next. Thanks John, any more little pearls of wisdom?
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 05:19 PM   #13
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Chip

My battery switch failed at the rally last fall. Got the part from my tech and replaced it before any damage.

John, where did you place the fuse? From battery to fuse then on to rig?
Chip. yes the leg with the hole and red cover mounts right on the battery terminal. Then the trailer load wire is mounted on top of the fuse.

This way the only want to have a short is to have the connection actually touch the battery terminal. Less likely.

Safe travels.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 05:28 PM   #14
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
I believe it was Richfaa that had an almost fire when the 12 volt wiring in the belly rubbed on the self tapping screws through the bottom of the frame that held belly pan in place. The first time I had down I used a whole bag of tie wraps to suspend and separate both the 12v and the 120 v wiring as well as the hydraulic hoses. none of the wiring or the hoses touch each other now. I read about this situation in 2007 before we got our rig. Hopefully this will all be read by a new owner and it with save the damage. P.S. And maybe Keystone will start stepping up and taking care of these issues!
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 01:00 AM   #15
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi John Kohl

I was wondering where your picture was taken?

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 01:01 AM   #16
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

For ease of installation I put mine on the negative terminal.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 10:19 AM   #17
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Am very surprised at the CS taking a hands-off decision on a new rig that has an obvious wiring issue...Like who did the wiring....duh!
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 04:24 PM   #18
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Chris if it was me I'd be heading for Goshen and be on someone's desk stomping for a repair and rewiring job at least in the belly area anyway. They'd have to lie on their backs with the belly cover down but maybe they'd learn to put the wires and hydraulic lines separately and not rubbing up against each other. This may have to be a point to bring up at the Fall Rally this next fall!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 03:56 AM   #19
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
Thanks John, mine is on its way. Thanks Amazon.
Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 05:42 AM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Exnavydiver

I believe it was Richfaa that had an almost fire when the 12 volt wiring in the belly rubbed on the self tapping screws through the bottom of the frame that held belly pan in place. The first time I had down I used a whole bag of tie wraps to suspend and separate both the 12v and the 120 v wiring as well as the hydraulic hoses. none of the wiring or the hoses touch each other now. I read about this situation in 2007 before we got our rig. Hopefully this will all be read by a new owner and it with save the damage. P.S. And maybe Keystone will start stepping up and taking care of these issues!
yep it was myself at quartzsite. It was a nightmare under there. Used many tie wraps. Will be doing the same on this 13 when the belly is down to replace the two leaking holding tanks. have already been behind the convenience center and other places. It was better than a almost fire.due to quick thinking by myself and Helen.Just a lot of smoke and charred wireing. Damm thinking fast.... Keystone was on the spot finding us a Keystone dealer in "Q" and giving a blank check to repair the damage.That was the first problem we had in the first 6 months of ownership.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote