Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2021, 07:16 AM   #1
RipNC
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26926
Professional PDI Inspection?

Hopefully our 3121RL Legacy FBP Cobalt will be here in a week or two and the dealer is 3 hours away. We're considering having a pro do the PDI for us because we can't spend hours and hours at the dealer because our Lab is very sick. The inspection ain't cheap at $700 and we've spent more in the for marine surveyors on boats.

My question is twofold:

Is $700 reasonable for a new rig this size (within the inspector's 200 mile radius)?

Any good/bad info about using a pro (RVIA Level 2 Inspector) on a new build?

Thanks,

RipNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 08:19 AM   #2
JoeUSNRET
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25489
RipNC, appears to me you've answered your own question as you have some personal issues that may prevent a thorough inspection. $700 does seem high, but if I believe the inspector is qualified with significant personal RV experience I would consider it. I've purchased two used Montana's in the past 12 months. The first is a 2011 3150RL from a dealer, while the unit is fundamentally sound the dealer did a terrible job and in hindsight I was rushed throughout the deliver process and left the dealership with an unsafe trailer. 10 months latter I drove 2000 miles to purchase a 2014 3402RL from a MOC member in Texas and I spent nearly 2 days going over the trailer with the owner and getting it ready to go. We left Texas with a safe trailer and made a 2500 mile trip back to Idaho with a stop at the Grand Canyon and had no issues.. So, unless you have the time and experience to complete a thorough PDI I think it would be money well-spent, even on a brand new trailer with a full warranty. Hope the lab is doing better and everything goes smoothly.
2020 RAM 3500 Mega, Dually, 4:10, HO CTD, Aisin.
JoeUSNRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 08:34 AM   #3
RipNC
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26926
Thanks, I have zero RV experience. However, I do have a lot of experience in 12 volt systems and inverter systems from my lifetime of boating (along with some solar installations as well) so I have the technical skills and the checklists from this forum and elsewhere for PDIs. My alternative to a pro would be to have Beth care for Cally and take a buddy with many many RV miles under his belt (hands on guy like me) to do it. Don't really want to cut Beth out of the process (or leave her alone to care for Cally) since she has a great (though sometimes annoying;-) eye for detail from 32 years in residential RE. I'm sitting here on the analysis paralysis fence...
Old 01-10-2021, 09:05 AM   #4
JoeUSNRET
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25489
I know its a tough decision and I'll admit I usually cheap out and then regret it. I have no experience with RIVA inspectors, but if they have the training and RV experience it may be a good thing. Maybe consider doing both. Get the inspection done (some piece of mind) and have a great trip with a good friend to pick up the trailer and do your own inspection. After you take the trailer home something will most likely go wrong or need fixed, do you want to have that conversation with your wife at that time about shoulda, woulda, coulda. good luck should be a beautiful trailer. Joe
JoeUSNRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 09:18 AM   #5
RipNC
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26926
Joe, thanks. I'm a very lucky man, in 35 plus years Beth has never thrown it back at me like that (I've tried to do the same but only she could tell you if I was successful). You're probably right with the belt and braces approach, perhaps with a video call so Beth can weigh in on the details we all will surely miss ;-)

Appreciate the feedback!
Old 01-10-2021, 09:25 AM   #6
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
PDI are NOT inspections, although you can use them for that. PDI are walk throughs for the consumer so they learn and understand how all the systems works. The PDI also includes proper hitching to your tow vehicle, how to level, use jacks, hook up water, electric, all of that. If you let someone else do all that, you will be back on these forums in a couple weeks asking questions, such as, "How do I do this?" "What is this switch for?"

You REALLY need to be there when YOU take delivery of the camper. If you are having a situation, then leave the dog with a trusted friend, or one of you stay behind with the dog and the other go to pick up the camper.

I would never pay anyone to do an inspection of an RV for me. Shoot, we've purchased a couple houses in our lifetimes, and we've sold a couple. Even house inspectors don't know what they are doing. Everyone one comes back with different issues, positive and negative. But only because the loan company required the inspections, is the only reason we had it done.

My strongest suggestion? Forget paying someone, and do it yourself. Be there. Get hitched up properly, and hear first hand what you need to know about your new camper.

You are investing, probably $70,000 for this camper, with any add-ons, you are probably closer to $80,000 or more on the final bill. If you are getting a loan, with the interest paid over 10-15 years, you will be paying over $135,000 for this camper.

Do you REALLY want someone else doing this for you and you missing it?
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 09:37 AM   #7
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Rip,

If you do not have previous RV experience paying for help is a good idea - $700 seems reasonable. As David highlights you still need to get a good explanation of everything on your rig which is not going to come from an inspector.

Maybe you can delay picking up for awhile. Seems you ailing pup should be priority.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 09:42 AM   #8
RipNC
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26926
I've already discussed with the dealer that the professional inspection would be prior to my PDI with the dealer, which would happen before I wire the rest of their money, so not an issue. The dealer says they will PDI the unit prior to the inspector (to catch anything that happens in transit or missed by Montana). No loan so I control the narrative.

Bought and sold more boats and houses than most folks and I used a home inspector for all expcept the first two which I physically built myself. Reason? Inspectors tend to find the annoying little things that I'd probably overlook/miss, if the inspector and I both miss something big - well that is on me. Same with boats.

I'm reasonably sure an inspector bring something to the table, just not sure about $700 worth.
Old 01-10-2021, 09:47 AM   #9
RipNC
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26926
Zack,

Catch 22, we live in a house built 12' off the ground on piles (selling to go fulltime) and Cally is really havinvg trouble with the steps. Getting the unit means we could set it at a nearby park and move in while we sell the house. That would make it easier on our girl. So yes, she is our priority! Thanks.
Old 01-10-2021, 09:55 AM   #10
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
PDI are NOT inspections, although you can use them for that. PDI are walk throughs for the consumer so they learn and understand how all the systems works. The PDI also includes proper hitching to your tow vehicle, how to level, use jacks, hook up water, electric, all of that. If you let someone else do all that, you will be back on these forums in a couple weeks asking questions, such as, "How do I do this?" "What is this switch for?"

You REALLY need to be there when YOU take delivery of the camper. If you are having a situation, then leave the dog with a trusted friend, or one of you stay behind with the dog and the other go to pick up the camper.

I would never pay anyone to do an inspection of an RV for me. Shoot, we've purchased a couple houses in our lifetimes, and we've sold a couple. Even house inspectors don't know what they are doing. Everyone one comes back with different issues, positive and negative. But only because the loan company required the inspections, is the only reason we had it done.

My strongest suggestion? Forget paying someone, and do it yourself. Be there. Get hitched up properly, and hear first hand what you need to know about your new camper.

You are investing, probably $70,000 for this camper, with any add-ons, you are probably closer to $80,000 or more on the final bill. If you are getting a loan, with the interest paid over 10-15 years, you will be paying over $135,000 for this camper.

Do you REALLY want someone else doing this for you and you missing it?
RipNC,
The above is some very sage advice. You need the knowledge of your unit you can most easily gain by going through the PDI. It is not only an inspection but a tutorial on the workings of your new unit.
Good luck
Old 01-10-2021, 10:03 AM   #11
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Well, it's your money and you sound like you really want to go this route. But, you sound like you are highly qualified to do this kind of an inspection yourself. Especially after building your own home and been through inspections a time or two.

Personally, I would not pay it. EVERY RV will have issues once you take it on the road.

I though I did a pretty through inspection of my current Montana when I took delivery. I found a few things and they were fixed before I signed any paperwork. Took a little time on that day, yes. But it was worth it.

Got the trailer home, unhitched, leveled. Everything perfect. Then ... went to open the slides. Started extending the back bedroom slide (Ours is a front living room).... and I heard a "crunch". Mind you... this was the immediately after leaving the dealer and JUST got home, first time EVER!

I stopped the slide, got back there to see what happened, and a cabinet door opened in transit, got caught on slide out and broke off.

When sitting at the dealership, it worked perfect, caught perfect, acted perfect. The cabinet was empty, nothing to bounce inside to push it open in transit and the door popped open.

There is NO WAY that could have been caught sitting at the dealer's lot. It happened only after towing it on the road. I called the dealer, raised all kinds of hell and they basically told me, it was my fault for not checking the cabinet door before extending the slide. A trip to Lowes, matched up some hinges and catches, and been using a small bungee cord to keep the door closed ever since.

And that was the first of many, many issues that unearthed, ONLY after bouncing down the road a few miles.

The second thing that happened 3 days later. We took our maiden voyage with it, 250 miles from home. When we got there, the bedroom closet shelf and the bar that holds the clothes had completely broken from the wall. Turns out, only 6 small screws were holding the entire shelf and clothes bar up, and they were screwed into the styrofoam, not the studs. Would that have been caught by an inspector? No, no one would have caught that.

FYI, after a second failed event, I ended up rebuilding the interior of the closet, supporting that shelf and the cloths bar from the floor with uprights and screwed to the walls only for initial stability to install proper supports.

Would any inspector catch anything like that? Absolutely not. FYI, after my rebuild, we never had problems with that closet again. It's along the very back wall, and takes an extreme amount of bounce.

What I'm saying is, inspectors won't catch stuff like this. Even with the best, you'll still experience issues that will develop, only AFTER you camper has been on the road. Then you be condemning that inspector and the money spent because you'll feel you've been screwed over.

What I'm saying is, inspections are OK, but things will not unearth until the camper is actually in use.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 02:14 PM   #12
Bob and Jeannette
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22589
I did it myself. Pressed every single button. Make sure the dealer pairs up your phone and shows you the global connect app both online and Bluetooth! Save your $700 just take your time, do not feel rushed, you are spending a lot of money be completely satisfied that you can work everything and that everything works.
Old 01-17-2021, 02:55 PM   #13
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by RipNC View Post
Hopefully our 3121RL Legacy FBP Cobalt will be here in a week or two and the dealer is 3 hours away. We're considering having a pro do the PDI for us because we can't spend hours and hours at the dealer because our Lab is very sick. The inspection ain't cheap at $700 and we've spent more in the for marine surveyors on boats.

My question is twofold:

Is $700 reasonable for a new rig this size (within the inspector's 200 mile radius)?

Any good/bad info about using a pro (RVIA Level 2 Inspector) on a new build?

Thanks,
That $700 is for an inspection. They should give you a detailed report on the condition of the unit, repairs needed, and any other issues they find. It is not a PDI. The PDI is for the buyer. The dealer takes the buyer through the trailer and shows them how everything works and offers advice on various systems. I took movies when I did mine because I knew I probably wouldn’t remember everything they said. On a brand new unit covered under warranty, not sure a $700 inspection would be worth it. If it was a used unit, that would be different. Under the circumstances with the fur baby, I’m sure the wife will understand, and stay home with the fur baby. You and an experienced friend should do the PDI and bring it home. Plan on a few days so that any issues you find can be fixed before you leave the selling dealer. DO NOT SIGN any paperwork until your known issues are fixed. They want to close the deal so you will go to the front of the line. Otherwise any warranty work could easily take weeks to get fixed locally. Your wife can watch the video and you can go through the trailer with her when you get home. The videos can really help.That would be my recommendation. Enjoy the new rig!!
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 03:18 PM   #14
RipNC
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26926
Sadly, we lost Cally on Wednesday. We're devastated.

Have engaged the inspector for tomorrow. Beth will video and I will look over his shoulder. If all goes well we'll pay for the rig and take it 250 miles to a CG near our house so we can take our time noodling thru setting up for fulltime. Thatnks to all for your thoughts, but with our heads in the wrong place we're comfortable we're doing what is right for us.
Old 01-17-2021, 04:32 PM   #15
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Rip I am very sad to hear about Cally. I can't imagine losing my pup and figure it would sure be hard to try to focus on an inspection tomorrow. Have you thought about printing one of the inspection sheets available here and on other forums to use as a template and make notes on? Might help take some of the strain/worry off the old noggin trying to remember everything.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 05:21 PM   #16
RipNC
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26926
We both have copies of an inspection list from this forum. I'm also armed with thoights of issues I've read from other new owners. Our inspector owns a very highly regarded repair facility and mobile repair service in western NC, so it will take some stress out of this process (dealer has been tough to deal with and we wish we had gone with Jarred of Team Montana and driven the extra 600 miles). But you gotta dance with the you brought...

We'll post more as time and temperament permit.
Old 01-19-2021, 09:27 AM   #17
GreG L.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21993
Had I had an inspector available I would have paid the $700.00. What I did do was send the dealer my list of what I was going to look for (two pages single spaced) and the tools I was bringing (volt meter, AC outlet tester, creeper and so on) and that I would walk the roof and roll the underbelly as well as needing power, sewer and water. By the way it is important that you know you can flush the blank tank and winterize before you leave.

They kept it two weeks after it came in before they told me to come and get it. The PDI was fine. I only missed done thing, there was a piece of thin short trim missing above a side cabinet in the kitchen, didn't notice it for a year, it was on top of the cabinet never put up.
GreG L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 04:30 PM   #18
RipNC
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26926
Post mortem report! Inspector was great, spent 8 hours on our rig. Found a list of things we could have found and a couple of things we might have missed. In particular, there was an issue with the iNCommand interface between the heatpump and the gas furnace, heat pump would appear to run but the furnace would run as well and the heatpump would produce heat. Dealer tech worked on it quite a while and resorted to phone call to iNCommand techs and got it all fixed. The rest of our puch list was fixed the next morning (today) except for a couple things that will be shipped from Keystone.

Posting a photo on another thread, drove it a little over 250 miles to a campground near our home, tomorrow the fun begins...
Old 01-20-2021, 07:45 AM   #19
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Rip, keep the report going. this discussion has been very interesting.
My condolences for your lose of Cally. We lost our wiener Kazzie last year and still miss her.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote