Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 12-27-2020, 07:47 PM   #1
indiana lineman

M.O.C. #24088
Propane gas grill feed

Hello, While swapping out the small Coleman tank on our portable gas grill we like to use I wondered "what would it take to rig up a hose" that will feed the grill off the camper tanks instead of the small swap out tanks"? Has anyone tried this? If so what are the supplies needed?

indiana lineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 08:42 PM   #2
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by indiana lineman View Post
Hello, While swapping out the small Coleman tank on our portable gas grill we like to use I wondered "what would it take to rig up a hose" that will feed the grill off the camper tanks instead of the small swap out tanks"? Has anyone tried this? If so what are the supplies needed?
Unfortunately the answer is "it depends".
What RV do you have?
What grill do you have?

It may be possible, but understanding the above will help to know.

Brad
kowbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 09:11 PM   #3
indiana lineman

M.O.C. #24088
Oops, I guess I didn't set up my profile.
2020 381th, I believe we're running the small Coleman that has a griddle on 1 side and a grate on the other. Has a small snap type attachment that threads on to the little bottle. Camper has a quick connect yellow connector under the door side of the rig.
Old 12-27-2020, 09:14 PM   #4
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Look up Coleman and see if they have an adapter to run off a tank rather than those little bottles. My Weber came the same as yours, but they offered the adapter and hose to hook up to a 20 gal propane tank.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 09:20 PM   #5
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by indiana lineman View Post
Oops, I guess I didn't set up my profile.
2020 381th, I believe we're running the small Coleman that has a griddle on 1 side and a grate on the other. Has a small snap type attachment that threads on to the little bottle. Camper has a quick connect yellow connector under the door side of the rig.
Ok, that helps, but it would be best to have the exact model.

Try this; find the model of the coleman stove that you have. See if you can find info about that stove model and if it can use an RV adapter. Some can, others cannot. Try a google search with the model of the stove and add "RV quick connect adapter" to the end.

For example, the popular Camp Chef Mountaineer is a great stove, but it does not have an RV adapter accessory (and no 3rd party) and will not work with one. The reason is that it is a stove that requires a high pressure line and your RV quick connect is after the regulators in the RV, so is a low pressure output. I had to buy their adapter with a regulator and attach it directly to a 20lb bottle I carry.
Yet, other Camp Chef stoves do have an adapter because they can use a low pressure feed from the RV.

See if it works to search your stove model. If you have more specific questions, drop by with them.

hth
Brad
Old 12-28-2020, 04:20 AM   #6
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
If your grill is or is like the Coleman Roadtrip grill, the conversion is quite simple. I took apart the connector that has the regulator on it. It screws together just after the part that attaches to the grill. Then get a gas hose of the desired length and add a propane quick connector. They are not the same as an air quick connect, but do look very similar. You should be able to find a local gas company that can make up a hose for you. Our rig did not have the quick connect fitting like our old TT did. If you don't have that, you could just get an extension hose and adapter that fits the 1lb. bottle connection and hook directly to your on board tank. Something like this should work...
https://www.amazon.com/Champs-Conver...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
Depends on what you have and what you want to use. Only remove the regulator from the grill if you are going to go the quick connect route as that supply is past the camper's regulator. If you just adapt to the larger tank with something like the above, then you will still need the grills regulator in place.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 06:13 AM   #7
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
First off, been there-done that.

No matter what you do, your Coleman will not work with the propane quick disconnect on your Montana. There is only one specific model of Coleman that will work with that quick disconnect, and only if you purchase Coleman's specific adapter to make it work. ---been there - done that.

I also tried using an after market quick disconnect propane hose, and cut the other end of the hose. I also purchased a second Coleman regulator that attaches the bottle to the stove, and cut the regulator off, attached the connection and stub of the tube to the rubber hose and connected it to the quick disconnect on the Montana. Still did not work... Why?

The Coleman stove is designed to work at a different pressure than the propane output of your camper. The regulator in the camper reduces the propane pressure too low and the Coleman Stove, will light, but it won't burn right. The flame is way too low to be usable and any puff of wind will blow it out. .... Been there, Done that.

FYI, I still have that Coleman connector with the regulator cut off attached to the hose in my bag of old wires and hoses. I just don't have the heart to throw it away. Eventually, I may find some use for those parts for something else.

With that said, you will not be able to connect the Coleman stove to the quick disconnect on your Montana and make it work as expected.

This will never work with quick disconnect. Click here.

And this is the only adapter that works with any Coleman, and it works ONLY for the Coleman Roadtrip LXE grill --- ONLY! Click here

This leaves you with three options.

1st - Continue using your Coleman Stove the same way you always have.

2nd - Use an independent propane tank from your camper. I have a 3rd, 30 pound propane tank and use the hose will connect to the Coleman regulator and the propane tank. This works nice, very well, and I've been doing it this way for years and years now. This works for all Coleman stoves: Click here.

That leads to #3.

3rd Install a propane T on your existing propane tank on your camper. The T has to be installed before the pressure regulator. Then you can run a rubber propane hose (like #2 above) directly off your tank on your camper. Click here

I have a 30 pound propane tank now, and a different Coleman stove, but this is what I use to use. It's a Colman Propane Gas Tree with attached hoses. That Gas Tree also has a connector at the top so I could attach a Coleman propane light that ran on propane and not white gas. It just screwed on the top of the tree.

Here's my current Coleman stove when I was still attempting to hook it up to the quick disconnect on my Montana. When I took this photo, I had given up on using the quick disconnect and just plugged in another small bottle of propane.

When we purchased our Montana, I gave all my old Coleman stoves and everything with it to a local Boy Scout troop. I thought I'd never need another outside stove. Wow! was I wrong. And wow was I wrong thinking the Coleman would work with that quick disconnect!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 10:47 AM   #8
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Option 3 above works for me. Put a T on one of your propane tanks, then use and adapter hose to your stove. Make sure you get a hose that is long enough; wish mine was a little longer, but it works.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://smile.amazon.com/DOZYANT-Con...-garden&sr=1-4

I use this setup on my grill.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BLHC2G2...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 12:59 PM   #9
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
I got one of these
https://www.homedepot.com/p/GASONE-1...-012/310727266

Connects from the 30# tank to my Colman roadtrip 285 grill. Works great.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 06:56 PM   #10
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz View Post
Option 3 above works for me. Put a T on one of your propane tanks, then use and adapter hose to your stove. Make sure you get a hose that is long enough; wish mine was a little longer, but it works.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://smile.amazon.com/DOZYANT-Con...-garden&sr=1-4

I use this setup on my grill.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BLHC2G2...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
I like the idea of a T. How does that work when you disconnect your grill but you want to leave the tank open for the RV?

Thanks,
Brad
Old 12-28-2020, 07:26 PM   #11
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Quote:
Originally Posted by kowbra View Post
I like the idea of a T. How does that work when you disconnect your grill but you want to leave the tank open for the RV?

Thanks,
Brad
The T port not being used should not flow gas. Just to be safe, I take the T off when not using it.
Old 12-28-2020, 07:31 PM   #12
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz View Post
The T port not being used should not flow gas. Just to be safe, I take the T off when not using it.
Thanks, I wondered about that.
But doesn't attaching and reattaching defeat the purpose of the T?

I was wondering if there was a shutoff valve that could be attached to the leg of the T that goes to the grill, so that the T would stay attached but physically shut off. Thoughts?

Brad
Old 12-28-2020, 07:44 PM   #13
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Quote:
Originally Posted by kowbra View Post
Thanks, I wondered about that.
But doesn't attaching and reattaching defeat the purpose of the T?

I was wondering if there was a shutoff valve that could be attached to the leg of the T that goes to the grill, so that the T would stay attached but physically shut off. Thoughts?

Brad
The open port on the T automatically shuts off. It does not have to be removed; just my preference.
Old 12-29-2020, 09:31 PM   #14
indiana lineman

M.O.C. #24088
Thanks for the detailed info. I figure it may take some fabbing to construct this. I do electric, large scale, but I do have friends on the gas side. Possibly if I get an assembly together someone more in tuned with threading pipe can make this streamlined, safe and efficient.
Thanks to the folks that added good advice.
Old 12-30-2020, 12:02 PM   #15
shredder22
Established Member

M.O.C. #27200
Hi, I have a 2021 3120rl and have what looks like a gas line for an exterior grill between the stairs and the basement door attached along the side of the beam. Can someone verify that this is as I mentioned or something else. I apologize if I am not asking this in the correct thread. Thanks for any replies.
Old 12-30-2020, 02:36 PM   #16
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredder22 View Post
Hi, I have a 2021 3120rl and have what looks like a gas line for an exterior grill between the stairs and the basement door attached along the side of the beam. Can someone verify that this is as I mentioned or something else. I apologize if I am not asking this in the correct thread. Thanks for any replies.
Yes, that is exactly what that is!
Remember this line is a lower pressure line as it is connected after the propane regulators. Many grills need a connection to the full pressure with no regulator, so may not work properly with the lower pressure of this line. Hopefully your grill works ok.

Brad
Old 01-03-2021, 01:50 PM   #17
Leonard R.
Established Member

M.O.C. #26577
Hi,
I did this on the passenger side of my 2020 Montana 3120.
1) I bought a 20' hose that had the bbq nozzle on one end and a propane tank screw coupler on the other end.
2) I then bought a "T" fitting that connected to the propane tank and the trailer feed line. The "T" part then hooked up to the hose that I bought to connect to the bbq.
3) When this passenger side tank ran out, I would switch out the full tank from the drivers side so that I could always bbq even if I had one empty tank.
Really slick, cost me about $125 to set up. Yeah expensive, but it was in Canadian dollars!
Leonard R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 02:21 PM   #18
RoadRunnerTR21
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20746
I've got a Camp Chef P90X 3 burner stove. Each individual burner is capable of 30,000 BTU's. I also have a grill box that I can sit on 2 of the burners and a griddle that I can sit on 1 burner. The stock LP gas hose is about 3' long. For around $25 I'm going to get a 12' hose with regulator and LP bottle coupler. I will use this setup for my SB house as well as the Montana. It's very easy to unscrew the coupler from the LP bottle on the passenger side of the Montana and screw on the coupler to the LP bottle that is attached to the Camp Chef.

Here is what I'm going to get: https://www.amazon.com/DOZYANT-Unive...9708365&sr=8-4
RoadRunnerTR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 02:40 PM   #19
RBul31
Established Member

M.O.C. #26968
I checked into tapping off my Gas line and running a quick disconnect to the side of the RV. The RV dealer wanted $500.+ to do it. I didn't have time to check into the price of parts yet but I think it is something I can do for less than $50.
RBul31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 02:59 PM   #20
vipermanden
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18510
I had my RV dealer plumb in a quick disconnect line to the door side of the RV, and had to buy a BBQ without a regulator. You can not use a propane BBQ with a regulator, as it will not fire up enough to cook a hot dog! Here is the brand of BBQ I have been using for over 3 years now. Works great! https://nydirect.com/products/camco-...caAowYEALw_wcB