Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-26-2020, 06:56 PM   #1
kozzy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18144
Cold Weather Use

Hello all. So we are building a house and moving to Florida, but the house wont be ready till the end of February. We live in upstate NY, and have to be out of our current house February 1st. So we are planning on using the 5er to stay in fore a couple of weeks, here in NY, while our house down south is being finished. Any tips people have will be much appreciated. We have tank haters in the unit, though I have never used them. We are parking it at a friends house, and will have 50 AMP power, and a water faucet close by so we can keep filling the fresh water tank as needed. So again, any advice or tips would be helpful so we don't freeze LOL I think we will be ok though. Thanks

2019 Ram 3500 SRW Laramie CTD 6.7
kozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 07:33 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
See if you can rent a larger propane tank or you will be going to the propane place every few days.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 07:47 PM   #3
kozzy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18144
Yeah, was already thinking ill get a 100# tank, and use one of my 30# as a backup if the big one empties. its on my list though
Old 12-26-2020, 11:24 PM   #4
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
If you are moving to Florida, why not just drive down and wait there?

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 09:46 AM   #5
scuba dude
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10841
My thoughts also.
scuba dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 07:18 AM   #6
kozzy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18144
Id love to go down there and wait, but kids school and work are keeping me here for a couple more months
Old 12-28-2020, 08:07 AM   #7
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Bummer! I don't think I would attempt to live in a Montana in upstate NY in the winter. If I did, I would definitely add some bales of straw around the base of the camper and at least a light bulb underneath to keep the water lines liquid. Also, look into some sort of insulation for the slideout tops. I don't think there is anything up there.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 01:05 PM   #8
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Ok, you have a place to park, 50A and water. What do you have for sewer?
You definitely want to skirt and put some heat under there to keep the sewer pipes and valves from freezing up and backing up.
Check out the forum section " Burr its cold out there, cold weather camping". Lots of great ideas in there.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 09:22 PM   #9
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Ed-- Instead of putting the hay or straw bales around your Montana I would suggest putting a layer or two of 2" foam insulation around the unit. You can cut it to fit between the frame and the ground and stake it down to hold it in place. I'd also put at least one small heater under the unit and maybe two that have thermostats on them. The straw bales work but they also have a tendency to draw mice or varmints too. Make sure you have a heated water hose or wrap your hose in heat tape and then foam pipe insulation or even pool noodles around the hose. I don't know if you have tank heaters on your rig but if you do turn them on to keep the tanks from freezing. Run your furnace all the time even if it is on the lowest setting you can because that puts head down into the underbelly. I've also put a trouble light in the basement with an incandescent bulb in it to put some heat in there also. There are other things to do but don't want to make this any longer. If you want them just PM me! Good luck and stay safe.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 06:22 AM   #10
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
You said it is only for a couple of weeks. Don't minimize the effort and expense it is going to take to get the 5'er winter livable. I'd get a stay hotel. Most in this area have modest kitchen facilities in them. You'd avoid all the work of making the 5'er winter livable and you wouldn't have to get rid of all the hay bales or foam boards and the 100# propane tank, and everything else you bought that will probably never be used again.
Old 01-03-2021, 04:07 PM   #11
Bob and Jeannette
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22589
Quote:
Originally Posted by twindman View Post
If you are moving to Florida, why not just drive down and wait there?
You got that right!
Bob and Jeannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 04:30 PM   #12
dallasrules
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26856
Off topic a little bit, but what time do you think its safe to stay in Albany NY without freezing up. I have to go work there and at some point want to take the rv to stay in.
dallasrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 05:25 PM   #13
jeririgged223
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26548
Quote:
Originally Posted by kozzy View Post
Hello all. So we are building a house and moving to Florida, but the house wont be ready till the end of February. We live in upstate NY, and have to be out of our current house February 1st. So we are planning on using the 5er to stay in fore a couple of weeks, here in NY, while our house down south is being finished. Any tips people have will be much appreciated. We have tank haters in the unit, though I have never used them. We are parking it at a friends house, and will have 50 AMP power, and a water faucet close by so we can keep filling the fresh water tank as needed. So again, any advice or tips would be helpful so we don't freeze LOL I think we will be ok though. Thanks

As someone that is all too familiar with winters in Buffalo, I can only say "good luck". Even with a 4 seasons package folks will tell you that Montana forced air heating, fireplaces and heat pumps are much good below about 35 to 40 degrees. The forced air unit will suck propane like there's no tomorrow. The heatpump will be worthless and the fireplace, will look great while you sit against it trying not to freeze to death. NY winters in the teens will be a rough one. I suggest getting into an Extended Stay hotel type place instead if it's only for a short period of time until schools out........... or with the Covid mess maybe the school has an online distant learning option.
jeririgged223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 06:11 PM   #14
Byron B
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18751
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcol View Post
You said it is only for a couple of weeks. Don't minimize the effort and expense it is going to take to get the 5'er winter livable. I'd get a stay hotel. Most in this area have modest kitchen facilities in them. You'd avoid all the work of making the 5'er winter livable and you wouldn't have to get rid of all the hay bales or foam boards and the 100# propane tank, and everything else you bought that will probably never be used again.
Best suggestion yet! The problems that can surface trying to live in your rig, in the winter, in upstate NY will cost you more than a hotel or maybe even an Airbnb.
Byron B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 07:06 PM   #15
skbstone
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7371
We are living in our 2020 Montana full time while we too are building our house here in Nebraska. Hopefully January will be our Last month in the Monty looking to move into the not completed but will be Warmer that living in the Camper. You will need 1. Heated water hose $180.00 from Amazon and heat tape to the supply water faucet. 2. Every 2 1/2 days you will burn through 1 propane tank. 3. Skirt around the belly with 2 inch sheets of insulation. 4. When there are days with No sun don’t raise your shades major heat loss through the glass. 5. If you have tank heaters you will use them most of the time. Our nights have been getting down to 5 degrees and this is Not fun. If you are only needing 2-4 weeks it is not worth the trouble. I was going to go with a 100 gallon propane tank but there was a $200.00 non refundable set up fee and contract. Things to think about. Would I do this again. No. We Love our Monty, but we Love it More when we are in it in Texas. That will be next winter. Good luck on your journey ours has been challenging, but it’s almost over!!
Yantis, Texas
skbstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 11:15 AM   #16
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
As others have suggested, an extend stay hotel would be the best choice. To make your RV winter livable just for 2-4 weeks will cost as much or more than the hotel. The other problem with living in the RV in winter is water condensation inside the rig. You will need a good dehumidifier. If you planned two or three months, or a full winter, there are ways to modify and insulate your rig for that but are not cheap. Heated hoses, lots of heat tape, dehumidifier, larger propane tank, the list goes on and on. Winterize that RV and find the extend stay hotel.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 06:30 AM   #17
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasrules View Post
Off topic a little bit, but what time do you think its safe to stay in Albany NY without freezing up. I have to go work there and at some point want to take the rv to stay in.
Your problem will be finding an RV park open between Sep and May, most are closed. Other than that freeze season is generally from Nov thru Apr. Rule of thumb though is don't plant your tomatoes till after Memorial Day.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 06:46 AM   #18
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Quote:
Yeah, was already thinking ill get a 100# tank, and use one of my 30# as a backup if the big one empties. its on my list though
We bought a 100# tank from Lowe's and it's helped a lot. It's a bear to wrestle when it's time to fill it but doable. Remember, it's only a little more propane than three 30#ers so maybe 2 weeks instead of every 3 days. Heat pump won't work at freezing temps but fireplace will help, we just leave ours on all the time. You can add an electric heater since you are on 50A and the furnace will still run enough keep the pipes from freezing. Get those pillows from Amazon that fit in the ceiling vents to reduce heat loss there.
I did not see an answer from you regarding dumping the holding tanks. That may be your biggest problem if you have to hook up and take to a dump site (if you can find one) twice a week which will be the cycle with kids.
Lots of U Tube stuff on winter living in a camper.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 08:18 AM   #19
dallasrules
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26856
Thanks for the info. I didn't think about the rv parks being closed.
dallasrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 10:03 AM   #20
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcol View Post
A most sensible and cogent argument. I second this.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote