Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2021, 03:25 PM   #1
cgaskins
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10861
Considering a new Montana 3761FL

Hello all,

We are considering upgrading to a Montana 3761FL. Just curious to hear from those of you that own that model.

How you like the floor plan? (We are concerned about the kitchen counter space)

What are you towing it with?

Can you tell a big difference going from a 39.5 footer to 31 footer?

Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Regards,
Chris

cgaskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 06:01 PM   #2
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Click here to go to Keystone's web site for this model and floor plan. I think you miss-typed, it's 41 feet long.

We have a Montana High Country 375FL (Front living room) with a different configuration for the kitchen, bedroom, and bath. We looked at similar models in the "Montana" line and did not like the kitchen arrangement. When the slides are in, too much of the kitchen was not accessible. Like you, the counter space seemed very small, even with the built in shelf between the upstairs and the kitchen.

Question? Is the half bath really necessary, unless you are bringing along more than you and your mate and planning on using the upper living room couches for beds. If just the two of you, you may want to consider the similar model that has the pantry in that space rather than a half bath.

Also, do you really need two sinks? How often do you and your mate, at the same time, share the bathroom together? That's a lot of space your giving up for such a short amount of use.

On the plus side, the upper living on these models is fabulous! Windows all around, and the open feeling between upper level and kitchen is great! No wall also makes the heat and cooling temperatures not so much. Our upper level still runs about 5 degrees hotter than the main floor, Summer and winter. The ceiling fan in the kitchen helps circulate and keeps the temperatures more even. But still, stepping down 3 steps, and you feel a difference in temperature. Sitting about 4 feet higher makes a big difference. I can't imagine how much different it would be if there was a wall and the upper floor was a bedroom.

Another thing to consider is the outside awning. When the front awning is extracted and the dining room table slide is extended, the space under your awning looses a chunk of sitting space outside.

One more thing. If you are bringing alone extra people, other than just the two of you, you no doubt are planning to use the front couches for bed. Yes, the opposing slide couches in the living room can both be opened up and together, end-to-end can actually be slide a little and touch (mine are not anchored down, they can slide. And this makes for one GIGANTIC family bed where about 30 people can sleep (no... not really 30, but 2 adults and a couple of kids, real easy). HOWEVER, no doubt you'll have Thomas Payne furniture and those couches made to a bed look nice, but they are NOT comfortable. At first they appear to be comfortable, but the longer you lay there, the more you feel the folds in the couch, the metal jabbing you in the back, and the head seems to tilt down-hill. (at least mine are). Anyway, it's just something to think about.

For a couples camper, this is a nice floor plan, as long as you are not going into it blind and clueless. After actually using it, especially if have guests or kids, you may find it's not so nice after all.

Another thing, our adult son and his little boy camp with us often. They use the front living room and if the campout is extended, (like longer than a week-end), pulling out those couches to sleep on them every night and then packing up sheets and blankets every morning and turning them back into a couch and stowing away all that bedding is a REAL pain in the carcass. We finally got a blow up Coleman mattress and laid it on the floor. It was more comfortable,

On the other hand, there are a LOT of people who really love this floor plan.

All I can advise is, check it out completely before plopping down $70,000. Have the dealer pull the slides in, set up the front couches-bed, and see what is really accessible. Lay on the bed, sit on the toilet, test out the dining area chairs, and make sure you have enough room sitting at the table for your belly! Because, behind those chairs is a wall, and you cannot slide them back any farther.

One more thing..... consider where the dump valves and the black and grey tanks sewer lines are hooked up at. Are they under a slide? Consider you are at a full hook up site, and climbing under the slide-out ever few days to dump tanks. It's not comfortable ... I know. I did not catch that myself on my current camper either.

One more thing, towing a trailer 2 or 3 feet longer will not be noticeable.

Sorry, if I'm being a downer. I'm just trying to give you some things to consider with this specific model. It's your choice and may work perfect for you. And if it does... WONDERFUL!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 08:00 PM   #3
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
Click here to go to Keystone's web site for this model and floor plan. I think you miss-typed, it's 41 feet long.

I think that Keystone listed our 3741FK as 40'2". They were SHORT by more than 12"!!

The lengths appear to be a suggestion.
Old 01-12-2021, 08:09 PM   #4
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaskins View Post

Can you tell a big difference going from a 39.5 footer to 31 footer?

Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Regards,
Chris
We had some discussion in another thread about towing from a new user last week.

Yes, it's ultimately different. Some good, some bad. I think that our 41' 3741FK doesn't really pull that much differently than our 32' 5er did. I think it's actually a little bit smoother, but that's hard to tell, because we're comparing a 1994 32' model to a 2020 41'.

But, with the 41' model, I have to pay attention to where we are going a lot more so than I did with the 32'. While that didn't surprise me, because I knew that was going to be the case, the first couple of times that we took it places, it took me a little bit to get used to turning. Took me longer than I expected it would.

Good luck with whatever model you end up with...
Old 01-13-2021, 05:44 AM   #5
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post

Question? Is the half bath really necessary, unless you are bringing along more than you and your mate and planning on using the upper living room couches for beds. If just the two of you, you may want to consider the similar model that has the pantry in that space rather than a half bath.

Also, do you really need two sinks? How often do you and your mate, at the same time, share the bathroom together? That's a lot of space your giving up for such a short amount of use.
!

Extra half bath would be great for us when traveling.
Have you asked many DWs their opinion of sharing a single sink?
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 07:38 AM   #6
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
A majority of MFRs measure from the center of the King Pin, sort of ignoring the addition foot or so of the Front Cap that extends pass the King Pin. Accounts for the difference between brochure lengths and actual length from tip to tail.
Old 01-13-2021, 07:48 AM   #7
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
A majority of MFRs measure from the center of the King Pin, sort of ignoring the addition foot or so of the Front Cap that extends pass the King Pin. Accounts for the difference between brochure lengths and actual length from tip to tail.
I thought that too, but when I tried measuring it, I don't think that they included the rear ladder either. It's been a while since I went thru that exercise, but I think that our cap is about 6" past the kingpin, and the ladder is 8" past the back cap.

For 99% of the time/people that number doesn't matter. But, in our case it did, because we were trying to fit in a 42' building. I thought at 40'2" even if they were off a little, we'd be OK. But our 42' building was 42' OUTSIDE, and the 40'2" was longer, and we were about 6" from fitting inside our building. It was a bad day, that day.
Old 01-13-2021, 08:32 AM   #8
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
Extra half bath would be great for us when traveling.
Have you asked many DWs their opinion of sharing a single sink?
Our floorplan has the large bathroom with double sinks, a halfbath downstairs and a pantry. We very much like and use both the double sinks and the two toilet setups. We spend 8 months out of the year in the rig. Not having the second bathroom is a nonstarter for the wife.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 10:51 AM   #9
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
When traveling, the half bath on this model is not accessible unless you pull the kitchen slide out. If you travel much, this is something else you need to consider. If you are a seasonal camper and the camper never moves, this is a non-issue. Just something else to think about?

We use our bathroom a lot when on the road. On an average 1000 mile trip, we will stop about ever 2 hours for food, gas, and always potty breaks. We never use rest stop or gas station bathrooms.... especially with the Covid thing going on right now ... especially!

Something to consider? How important is access to the bathroom? and when? And the kitchen, refrigerator, propane stove for heating left overs, or even simple meal preparations on the road? in truck stops? at rest areas, or overnighting at Wall Mart?
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote