Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 12-21-2020, 04:23 PM   #1
Jamesb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21011
Thor purchases Tiffin = Sad

Has nothing to do with Montana’s, but breaking news in the RV Industry. This is another sad day for the word “Quality”. Newmar was previously sold. It was our retirement “most-timers” dream to purchase a quality RV that we could travel Gods country without worrying “too much” about things falling apart. Most high end RVs are out of our league, but there were a few left, and Tiffin was one. Montana’s are on the list of course. But Thor? Come on now! I would never want to own a Thor product. Is it gonna come down to one manufacturer making all RV’s? I just don’t understand why they sell out when their market is back logged. Maybe greed? My stomach sank when I heard the news. The bigger they get, quality just trickles away. We just want a quality built FW or hopefully a gasser class A that is actually affordable. And they took another one away. Just don’t understand. I’ll quit ranting. Just thought I’d post it for the folks that keep up with the Industry.

Old 12-21-2020, 05:01 PM   #2
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I think I’ll just keep my old Fleetwood Jamboree. She is garage kept and only has 7000 miles on her and is built like a tank.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 05:55 PM   #3
66 Galaxie
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesb View Post
Has nothing to do with Montana’s, but breaking news in the RV Industry. This is another sad day for the word “Quality”. Newmar was previously sold. It was our retirement “most-timers” dream to purchase a quality RV that we could travel Gods country without worrying “too much” about things falling apart. Most high end RVs are out of our league, but there were a few left, and Tiffin was one. Montana’s are on the list of course. But Thor? Come on now! I would never want to own a Thor product. Is it gonna come down to one manufacturer making all RV’s? I just don’t understand why they sell out when their market is back logged. Maybe greed? My stomach sank when I heard the news. The bigger they get, quality just trickles away. We just want a quality built FW or hopefully a gasser class A that is actually affordable. And they took another one away. Just don’t understand. I’ll quit ranting. Just thought I’d post it for the folks that keep up with the Industry.
Nothing to do with greed. The Tiffin's built that company and they deserve every penny. Bob Tiffin is at least 10yrs past retirement age and none of his boys want to work until they're dead. This has been in the works for quite a while and the Tiffin's are staying on for a bit to help the transition just like the Bontrager's did at Jayco.
66 Galaxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 07:53 PM   #4
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
We seen this on our local news being the tiffins are built in Alabama, Red bay.

2018 Ram 3500 MegaCab 4x4 Aisin, 4:10 Gears
Titan 50 Gal Tank, Air Lift Wireless Bags
2017 3160 RL
DadsHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 07:57 PM   #5
BeagleMan
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27256
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66 Galaxie View Post
Nothing to do with greed. The Tiffin's built that company and they deserve every penny. Bob Tiffin is at least 10yrs past retirement age and none of his boys want to work until they're dead. This has been in the works for quite a while and the Tiffin's are staying on for a bit to help the transition just like the Bontrager's did at Jayco.
Agreed. Same thing happened when I was at Cabela's. We got bought out by Bass Pro. EVERYBODY chalked it to greed. Truth is, One brother had died and the sister and other brother were getting up in years, when they had kids, most were daughters, and daughters do not grow up to run companies. They want to marry away and do their own thing. Same thing with Tiffin.
BeagleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 08:44 PM   #6
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
I didn't know Thor was a bad company. Our first 5th wheel was a Thor Jazz, which lasted many many years with no major issues. Well I hope the Tiffin coaches will still be made with quality.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 08:48 PM   #7
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesb View Post
Friends of ours bought a Tiffin MH a few years ago and had a number of issues. The fit and finish is amazing and it should be for the price. But, the same things that sideline many a 5th wheel sidelined them - a water pump, furnace issues, leveler problems and a few odds and ends that could have been caught before delivery. Some of those issues caused them to delay trips for weeks while waiting for parts and repair. We had no issues that delayed any trips with our new 5th wheel we bought at the same time.

So, not discounting what you say about the sale to Thor, but I also think that all companies can have some issues, and often those issues are due to the same parts that are from the same suppliers as many of the other RVs.

As to whether it's sad or not; I agree with those who say the Tiffin's deserve to be rewarded for decades of hard work, and it will take time to know how the Thor buyout will impact the quality. Not automatically sad, but I guess we'll see.

Brad
kowbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 10:21 PM   #8
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
Quote... Most high end RVs are out of our league, but there were a few left, and Tiffin was one. Montana’s are on the list of course. But Thor? Come on now! I would never want to own a Thor product.

Ahh....who do you think owns Keystone, who builds the Montana you own?
Old 12-22-2020, 04:30 AM   #9
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
I was under the impression that Keystones was a Thor company.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 05:53 AM   #10
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Money talks and Tiffen sold at a price that made the owners (or banks) happy. Thor and Forest River own most of the RV industry with LCI or Dometic most of the support products. The big get bigger and the small disappear. That's life in the corporate world. Unfortunately and part of Economics 101.
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 07:40 AM   #11
lewy64
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26365
thor rv companies
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thor.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	8087  
Old 12-22-2020, 07:46 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Thor purchased Keystone RV many years ago. Thor owns like 18 Rv companies.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 07:56 AM   #13
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
And Camping World is gobbling up independant RV dealerships.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 09:06 AM   #14
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleMan View Post
Agreed. Same thing happened when I was at Cabela's. We got bought out by Bass Pro. EVERYBODY chalked it to greed. Truth is, One brother had died and the sister and other brother were getting up in years, when they had kids, most were daughters, and daughters do not grow up to run companies. They want to marry away and do their own thing. Same thing with Tiffin.

We sold Gander Mountain muzzle breaks by the thousands until Cabelas bought them out. Cabelas shut all of that down. So no more muzzle breaks for them.
Lynwood
Old 12-22-2020, 10:11 AM   #15
BeagleMan
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27256
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
We sold Gander Mountain muzzle breaks by the thousands until Cabelas bought them out. Cabelas shut all of that down. So no more muzzle breaks for them.
Lynwood
Yeah, I still do not know why they did that.
BeagleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 10:19 AM   #16
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Actually, Bob Tiffin started the talks with Thor and wanted to be a part of the Thor group. Time will show what changes occur within Tiffin that are dictated by Thor. The cash investment could be a good thing for Tiffin.
Old 12-22-2020, 12:46 PM   #17
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
I worked in the corporate world for decades. It never fails that a large company buys a small company because they are doing well and ends up destroying the very culture that made the small company successful.

It may take a while but eventually Thor will ruin Tiffin.

I will also say that there are people out there that start companies with the express idea of building a brand with good reputation that they can sell off to the large umbrella corporations. Grand Design is a recent example of this. It was started by former corporate executives with the full intent of selling off down the road.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 03:38 PM   #18
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Redwood was another example, started getting a name, then became part of Crossroads and then Thor.
Old 12-22-2020, 05:57 PM   #19
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
I worked in the corporate world for decades. It never fails that a large company buys a small company because they are doing well and ends up destroying the very culture that made the small company successful.

It may take a while but eventually Thor will ruin Tiffin.

I will also say that there are people out there that start companies with the express idea of building a brand with good reputation that they can sell off to the large umbrella corporations. Grand Design is a recent example of this. It was started by former corporate executives with the full intent of selling off down the road.
Agree to disagree on the "never fails... ands ends up destroying the very culture..."
M&A is tricky for sure, there are many challenges. And, often deals do not work out as planned. But, done right it can work, and work well.

Let's not pretend we have a crystal ball here.

Brad
kowbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 06:06 PM   #20
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
The one I’m most familiar with is StClair Intl. Fred started his micro company to sell high quality shooting products. With the help of his son-in-law they grew it to a several million dollar company. Brownells bought it out. In order to make more money they stopped making their catalog, stopping going to shooting matches, replaced their knowledgeable sales force with sales people now guess what happened. We used to sell them over $200,000 a year. How could you have guessed, last year it was $12,000. Our sales didn’t go down, our other vendors took up the slack.
When and company buys out another company they do it to make more money. The way they do it is to cut cost. Quality is the first casualty, if you are StClair or Tiffin it doesn’t matter the results are the same.
Lynwood