Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2012, 11:49 AM   #1
hikerdoc
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10717
Send a message via Yahoo to hikerdoc
Elite Series and breakaway cable

Hey, just a quick question for all you new Ford owners with the fifth wheel hitch option and the Elite Series hitch. Where do you attach the breakaway cable when you travel? I used to attach mine to the bed rails in the truck on my previous vehicle, but there is no place to do that here. The D rings in the corners are too far away and would likely pull it on a sharp turn. Any suggestions on where you attach yours? Thanks a lot in advance.

hikerdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:45 PM   #2
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
I'm a newbie to fifth wheels, but I just put mine on the hitch handle. I think anything fixed to the tow vehicle is okay as long as it won't come off.

seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:20 PM   #3
Ren
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10954
I used to put mine on the hitch handle untill I saw a pic of that wrecked Cameo ( somewhere here on Montana Owners Forum) and the hitch came right out of the truck. I now have a pretty heavy peice of rope tied across the bed tie downs near the bottom of the tail gate and have an anchor shackle connecting the breakaway cable to the rope.

This will allow the break away cable to run back and forth, if it needs to, but doubtfull. I dont put anything behind the tailgate and hitch anyways so this works out great for me.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:38 PM   #4
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I have also always used the hitch handle. Understand about the hitch coming loose on the Cameo tv, but in that situation I can't imagine breakaway cable induced braking being a whole lot of help. I have also seen our dealer use one of those oval type carabiners attached to the bedrails. I wouldn't imagine it would take a lot of modification skills to extend the breakaway cable in order to attach it to the truck tie downs or any other fixed point in the truck bed.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:53 AM   #5
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Drill a 1/4" hole in your hitch frame ( some already have an accessible hole) and use a carabiner on the end of the breakaway cable to hook into the hole. Some hitches already have a hole that can be used to secure the hitch handle ... clip the carabiner there. I'd imagine if you rip the hitch out of the truck ... the breakaway cable will be the least of the worries because the fiver will be plowing asphalt.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:15 AM   #6
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Hitch handle....I also use a wire tie around the hitch handle and thread the cable through before attaching it over the handle to keep the cable slack away from the base of the hitch.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:31 AM   #7
Crossthread
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6460
I purchased a 3 ft. piece of wire cable twice the size of the breakaway cable. Folded each end back to make about an 1 in. loop and crimped them. Snap hook one end to the left front d ring in the bed, snap hook other end to the breakaway cable. Bill
Crossthread is offline   Reply With Quote