Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2008, 11:10 AM   #1
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Ouch!

Well, got up yesterday morning and DW wanted to go shopping. Jumped in the King Ranch and waited for the glow plugs to warm up. Tripped the starter and it started and went klunkity-klunkity-klunk, and quit. Several tries later and now results but the same klunkity sound, I called Coach Net. They had a service provider call me within 1 hour, probably closer to 45 minutes. They are an AAA facility with a good rating, and, I was raised in this area and the garage has been in existence for over 45 years.

Well, the Ouch comes from the fact that my "Guardian," extended warranty doesn't cover computers and the fuel injector module was bad. Darn things cost around $800 and it still needs to be flashed by a Ford Dealer. All in all, the price will probably end up around $1500. Sure hope that satisfies my bad luck for the year!

Oh well - it's not going to stop us from traveling.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 12:21 PM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Waynem,

Ouch is right! My first thought would have been a bad Cam Position Sensor.

My second thought after reading about the items excluded from your extended warranty is also a big old OUCH! Hard way to find out. Man I'd think that sort of thing would be or certainly should be covered.

Thanks for sharing.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 12:57 PM   #3
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Wayne, how many miles on that truck?
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 02:12 PM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Wayne,
You have exspensive toys. Just like the rest of us. Sorry that one hit your pocket book.
Hope it is the only or last one.
Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 02:14 PM   #5
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
I share your pain; I had my truck worked on and got it back last week. After having it worked on twice I've spent about 2k on it. I think it's running better but that put a dent in my pocket book! I also had to change an injector as well.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:37 PM   #6
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Ooochy zowzers! I hate when that happens.

We won't talk about the extended warranty part, but that money would have went a long way towards paying this bill.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 02:41 AM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Will,
Truck has 79,511 miles on it.

If it had been an injector the warranty would have covered it. The service station was surprised that it was not covered also. As a good measure, they told me they would cut some of the labor costs. Small towns can sometimes be nice in that respect.

It's all just another part of belonging to the SKI club.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:03 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
This is whay we are going to purchase the FOMOCO extended warranty.Can't take the chance.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 03:24 AM   #9
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I have found that most so called "extened warranties" by the OEM manufacturer or the aftermarket warranties, will cover anything that can possibly go wrong with the exception of the first problem you encouner.
This very computer I am now using had the manufacturers (HP) extended warranty but it did not cover the very first problem I had. The dealer and I argued the point with HP but they would not give in. I raised enough HE%% that the selling dealer refunded the price of the extended warranty. He honestly could not believe I wasn't covered. The refund did cover most but not all of the repair bill.
Personally, I doubt I'll ever buy another so called extended warranty. If I even considered one I would hire a lawyer to go over ALL the fine print before I part with any of my money.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 04:50 AM   #10
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

Will,
Truck has 79,511 miles on it.

If it had been an injector the warranty would have covered it. The service station was surprised that it was not covered also. As a good measure, they told me they would cut some of the labor costs. Small towns can sometimes be nice in that respect.

It's all just another part of belonging to the SKI club.
Interesting to say the least. I see Ford warranties the powerstroke engine for 5 years or 100,000 miles. I'm not a Ford driver, but I would be surprised if the Ford warranty wouldn't cover the injector module. Perhaps it is over the 5 years? I don't see the year model in you signature. From what I know about GM diesels, they cover all parts that make the diesel engine run under the engine warranty, including the ECM and injection system.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:19 PM   #11
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Will,
I bought it second hand. It's a 2005 King Ranch F350 6.0L

I got it out of the shop today AND ONLY had to pay $1471 and some change. That is about what I'm going to spend on fuel to get back home.

When I purchased the truck I asked about warranties and was told that the warranty had run out at 36000 miles.

Interesting!
Old 07-11-2008, 03:34 PM   #12
rubble express
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6477
Rich, the way things are looking, I hope FOMOCO or any other manufacture type warranty will around in a year or two. From some of the stuff I've been reading, GM is on it's last leg. So too are most of the airlines. Companies cannot continue to operate at these kind of losses. Fuel prices are killing this country and the futures traders are leading it's demise!
rubble express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 03:42 PM   #13
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
Speaking of Cam Sensors on Ford Trucks. Ford issued a recall either late last fall or early spring 2008 on the Cam Sensor on our 2003 F250 7.3 L diesel while we were in AZ. On the next oil change cycle I asked Berge Ford in Mesa, AZ to perform whatever was needed on the recall. They told me mine didn't have to be replaced because I had the later version, not the earlier one. That didn't compute for me at the time so when we got back home in April, I went to my local Ford dealer and asked them to check it again. But... Berge Ford has already addressed this.... Explained my concern and asked them to verify Berge Ford's conclusion. According to them, mine did need to be changed and did so under warranty. Not entirely sure what to make of all that but at least it has been updated. Well, I've been told it has been updated. However, I do trust my local dealer which is the largest truck dealer in the state of WA. They probably have really been hurt by the significant slowdown in sales on Ford Trucks. I had intended to buy a new truck this year but have decided against doing so for several reasons. Apparently others have come to the same conclusion.
Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 01:37 AM   #14
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

Will,
I bought it second hand. It's a 2005 King Ranch F350 6.0L

I got it out of the shop today AND ONLY had to pay $1471 and some change. That is about what I'm going to spend on fuel to get back home.

When I purchased the truck I asked about warranties and was told that the warranty had run out at 36000 miles.

Interesting!
Whew! I'd be paying someone a visit when I got home. I think the Ford warranty is very similar to GM's. I know I had the 36,000 mile on my 04, plus the warranty on the diesel engine. There are other components covered under emissions for up to 80,000 miles. I had transmission problems last year, and the switch on the tranny that tells the computer what gear it is in was replaced under the federal emissions warranty. Why I don't know. I did have to research the issue on line, and raise a little hell, but it saved me over 300 bucks.
Old 07-12-2008, 02:03 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
http://www.fordwarrantys.com/index.cfm

Got to buy it before the vehicle has 36K miles on it..
Old 07-12-2008, 02:14 AM   #16
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Darn Rich! Just when I had my hopes up you had to stick a pin in my bubble!

I think that is what I had heard or read at the time of purchase. If I knew now what I should have known then, I may have made a different selection. What is it they say about "hindsight?"

Old 07-12-2008, 02:19 AM   #17
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Rich, I think that is just the extended service plan. I believe the original manufacturer's warranty is transferable. Not sure if there is a fee attached to it or not. Seems at one time I looked at a used vehicle and it took 100 bucks to transfer the warranty. Just not sure though. I do know when you look at used vehicles, many of them have a window sticker showing "no warranty", or "remainder of manufacturers warranty". I didn't buy the extended warranty on the GMC, but every time I take it to a dealer, I get a letter from some company offering me a special (for 72 hours only) extended warranty. One of my son's friends works for an East TX GMC dealer, and from what he has told me, the dealers make a killing on those extended warranties.
Old 07-12-2008, 04:00 AM   #18
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Warranties and Fleases are both big money makers, why else would the dealer push them so much?
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 05:12 AM   #19
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
$2,000 for a warranty (Ford's top level one) from 36K to 100K seems excessive.

Then there's the issue of the speedo calibration. I would have law enforcement confirm that the vehicle is indeed computing miles correctly. This is why many are getting such great mpg figures from their onboard computers vs manual calculations... I personally know my Buick Park Ave is showing about 3-4% faster than it is actually running and therefore turning over 3-4% more miles than reality. Warranty companies get an edge doing this. When your vehicle shows 100K on the speedo, you may only have 96K actual.

But then again, surely Ford would not do what GM is doing???
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 10:11 AM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Ford does have a 100K extended warranty (ESP) plan but it reads like you still have to purchase one before your truck has 36K miles on it.You can buy them at a discounted rate..Do some googleing.