Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2006, 03:44 PM   #1
Bruce Lenhardt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5098
Send a message via ICQ to Bruce Lenhardt
Emergency Brake Cable

I need some advice on what you guys do with the emergency brake cable on your Monty to keep if from catching on the Hitch. I had a scary experience today as I pulled into campground at Hillsboro,SD. Just as I pulled off the road into the campground the brakes on the trailer locked. Thankfully I was off the road. Found that the cable had gotten caught under the hitch. I have always been aware of the possibility but thought I was taking care of it. How do you all route or tie the cable to prevent this???

http://i2.tinypic.com/x4emv5.jpg[/IMG]
Bruce & Janette
06 2955RL
04 F350 Lariat,6.0,4X4,CCab

Bruce Lenhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 03:55 PM   #2
ldunning
Established Member

M.O.C. #5692
I drilled a hole in the frame of the hitch and installed a snap clasp on the breakaway cable. I snap the clasp through the hole and it is connected. When parked I just snap the clasp to the loop at the breakaway connector. Works for me and I have never had a problem.

2000 F-250 4wd Hypertech
4" exhaust Gauges K&N
2006 2955rl
ldunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 04:20 PM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Beautiful new 2955RL Bruce - I like the new graphics (your profile string is missing a bracket I think).

Good Idea Idunning! I've done it twice, only backing up though. Mine would get caught on the hitch release lever cotter pin. Don't even want to think about it going down the highway.

[img]http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/CO/Littleton.gif"border=0
alt="ClickforLittleton,Colorado Forecast"height=100width=150[/img]

2003 2955RL - 5.5KW Gen - great for the lake!
New '06 F350 Stroker towmoter in July - love the new trans shift and integrated brake controller.
'95 SeaRay 200BR named Dam-It - occassional tow buddy

I ain't as good as I once was - but I'm as good once as I always was - Toby Keith

Brad & Dory
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 06:55 PM   #4
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
I just take the loop at the end, pull it over the wheel lever past the pin and hold it on with the cotter pin. Have not had a problem in 3 years. In fact, I don't see how it could catch on anything. Now I will have to relook the situation.

Mike

F350 7.3L LB SRW
2003 3575RL
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 09:07 AM   #5
bmac
Established Member

M.O.C. #5884
I also had this happen twice in the past. Not a fun experience in traffic. I went low-tech on the fix. I simply tie a loose knot in the cable and it keeps it up off the truck bed. It will still work if needed. So far, no problems.
Bill

2004 Dodge 3500 SRW LB
2007 Montana 3400
bmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 09:18 AM   #6
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Mike,
I loop mine over the hitch release lever and slide it down to the hitch. For some reason when I had the slide back trying to back into a tight space, the cable got caught on the hitch rail and pulled it taught. As I turned it just pulled out the switch. (I was almost at a 90 degree).

Just embarrasing for the most part - as I had a guy in the street holding back 2 lanes of oncoming traffic. Once the switch pulled out, the Montana stopped dead in its tracks. Once is fine, but I reconnected it and did it again. I haven't resolved it yet, but I like Idunning's idea.
Old 08-30-2006, 12:29 PM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Here's my method of keeping that pesky cable out of the way..

#1- A simple suction hook attached next to the pin box..

The cable is doubled over and a nylon wire tie is used to form a loop.
Slip the loop over the hook and tighten the wire tie as tight as you can get it.

#2- On the end with the factory loop I used a snap hook big enough to fit over the hitches handle...

The weight of the snap hook keeps the cable weighted down so there is little movement from the wind turbulence.
Once again you will see where I used wire ties.
When towing the cable stays hooked to the plastic hook while the snap hook is slipped over the hitches handle.

#3- This is how the cable is stored when not hooked up...

I have been using this method for about 2 1/2 years. It was 2 1/2 years ago that the cable was accidentally pulled out and the brakes locked up. Fortunately I was in a campground and no one saw it happen. Needless to say that was the first and ONLY time it happened.

BTW-That is the same suction hook I started with 2 1/2 years ago.

Glenn
Montana Owners Home Page
RV Related Links

Glenn and Lorraine
M O C - 4 2 0
WE SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

Click on either of the above for a larger image
We are using a 2005 White GMC Sierra SLE 2500HD Extended Cab, Short Bed, 4X4
with the Duramax/Allison Combo and Firestone Ride-Rite air bags
to drag around our 2004 Montana 2955RL 32'
using a PullRite 16K SuperGlide Automatic Sliding Hitch

"We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us!"

You know you are retired when you wake up in the morning with
nothing to do and go to bed at night with it only half done.

BUT, Keep in mind, doing nothing can be a very
tiresome job because you can't stop to rest

Click on the Flags for the Forecast
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 12:48 PM   #8
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Glenn,
That looks like a perfect solution to me, especially because I won't have to get the drill out!

I have all the stuff in stock, and I'll be configuring it Friday before we take off.

Thanks!
Brad
Old 08-30-2006, 07:04 PM   #9
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
I see two differences with mine. (1) My cable does not touch the truck bed, it is too short. (2) I don't use a slide hitch. I must have missed that in your original post.

Mike

F350 7.3L LB SRW
2003 3575RL
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote